• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola Area OLF options (Saufley reopening soon?)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahhhh Saufley Field. Where I swore in and home to a minimum security prison. How things change. My grandpa flew out of there in the 50s.

It's still a working facility and as of 6 months ago, going to re-open as an OLF "soon." Guys who went through before 2004 flew out of there as well. The only reason it's "closed" was because of Ivan.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
It's still a working facility and as of 6 months ago, going to re-open as an OLF "soon." Guys who went through before 2004 flew out of there as well. The only reason it's "closed" was because of Ivan.

That's exciting. I like Saufley. Easy to get to and relatively quiet in that area.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's exciting. I like Saufley. Easy to get to and relatively quiet in that area.

You won't be driving there and if they open it back up, it's a little more of a pain in the ass to get in and out of there than the other 4 OLFs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Obviously he hasn't seen the additional course rules for when Saufley's open.:eek::confused::eek::confused:

I STILL have no idea what Grassy Point actually is. . .

Grassy point is the easy part (the LARGE point of land that goes into the bay on the west side). The thing I always had a hard time finding was the red and white (?) tower. I remember it from when I was a stud, and I've seen it as an IP, but it wasn't easy (for me) to find when going by.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
You won't be driving there and if they open it back up, it's a little more of a pain in the ass to get in and out of there than the other 4 OLFs.

I think someone is volunteering for Duty driver

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Gatordev probably means by air, seeing as you have to learn more course rules for entry and departure.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Saufley is still on the course rules test. I know that because we were told "dont worry about Saufley, it's closed" yet I distinctly remember missing the question that asked what the preset for saufley's RDO is -->16!

Will never forget it. :icon_rage

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Saufley is still on the course rules test. I know that because we were told "dont worry about Saufley, it's closed" yet I distinctly remember missing the question that asked what the preset for saufley's RDO is -->16!

Will never forget it. :icon_rage

That must have been a tough day for you......I remember missing a question on our CC course rules test, and I have never forgiven myself.....:p

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saufley, back in the day.........

saufleygv5.jpg

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Old School wheels watch at Saufley. I'll take binos and a light switch over paddles for 8 hours any day. Man we're a lazy batch these days...

T-34land.jpg

BourneID

pilot
Well the new and improved FWOP shows Saufley as closed for OLF Operations, and it was just put out in October, it would be a shame to have to do a change already.