• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Squadron! (16 Tomcats)

So I've heard my buddy in NROTC talk about his uncle before. Retired Navy Captain, F-14 pilot, 1000 traps, a gazzilion flight hours, flys airshows. But it appears now that Capt. Snodgrass is attempting to find sponsors for the maintaining of 16 flyable Tomcats! See link below. Hope it works out...

I've gotta meet this man.

WOW!

jai5w4 :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
So I've heard my buddy in NROTC talk about his uncle before. Retired Navy Captain, F-14 pilot, 1000 traps, a gazzilion flight hours, flys airshows. But it appears now that Capt. Snodgrass is attempting to find sponsors for the maintaining of 16 flyable Tomcats! See link below. Hope it works out...

I've gotta meet this man.

WOW!

jai5w4 :icon_smil
Who says the Navy is going to sell this guy 16 Tomcats?

Brett

Brett327 said:
Who says the Navy is going to sell this guy 16 Tomcats?

Brett

The link states they would be retired, so are they still Navy propert then, or property of the bone yard in Arizona (Dept of Defense owned...I assume)?

jai5w4

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Gotta love Snort....I've 6 Tomcat rides and he was the pilot on every one. Most fun flights of my life.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jai5w4 said:
The link states they would be retired, so are they still Navy propert then, or property of the bone yard in Arizona (Dept of Defense owned...I assume)?

jai5w4
Just because they're retired doesn't mean they're up for grabs to the highest bidder. They'll likely languish at AMARC until we see fit to sell them to one of our stategic partners. Some of our old A-7s are being used by Greece and Portugal.

Brett

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I hear Iran needs parts...how about selling to them to fund the war? I kid I kid :)

B

Blutonski816

welll, coming from a guy who grew up willing to give his left nut for a shot at Tomcats, I think it'd be cool to see some stil flying even after their Navy Career is long over...
Anything to keep them from being turned into scrap...

but like was mentioned above, I don't think the Gov't will be too keen to sell them off so fast...

Well, if anyone was going to understand the possiblity of getting ahold of retired jets, I think it would be Snort. He flies them in airshows and obviously wouldn't attempt this if he knew it was a no-go from the get-go...at least concerning the gov't side of things. It's gonna take a lotta $ from the sponsors if this is going to get anywhere...

jai5w4

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Not if they set up a paypal donation thingy...

You could do one of those endangered animal ("birds") adoption programs. When my brothers and I were younger, I know we had a couple of penguins and I think a manatee between the three of us...

"Mommy, can I adopt a Tomcat" ??? Pay like $12 and get cardboard framed photo and some operational history of your "bird?"

Or is this about as about as feasible as "Pet Yams" (like Pet Rocks, except, they have a lifespan... when they rot and fester, they are dead...)?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
welll, coming from a guy who grew up willing to give his left nut for a shot at Tomcats, I think it'd be cool to see some stil flying even after their Navy Career is long over...
Anything to keep them from being turned into scrap...

but like was mentioned above, I don't think the Gov't will be too keen to sell them off so fast...
First, they're not being turned into scrap. Second, they're not going to keep flying - airshows or otherwise. I'll bet a years pay on it - who's in?

Brett

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
The Navy might have more of an interest in this than you might think. It wouldn't suprise me if they gave the go ahead. These aircraft might be useful on a contract basis for certain projects. This would allow the Navy to have access to the F-14s without the expense of maitaining them. I wonder if they picked St. Augustine bcause of the Grumman presence there?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
I wonder if they picked St. Augustine bcause of the Grumman presence there?

Maybe, but could it also have something to do with the fact that he lives in the area?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
First, they're not being turned into scrap. Second, they're not going to keep flying - airshows or otherwise. I'll bet a years pay on it - who's in?

Brett

Perhaps at VX-9 for T&E....we still have flying Phantoms in the Navy inventory.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
Perhaps at VX-9 for T&E....we still have flying Phantoms in the Navy inventory.
I can see it now, QF-14s. Hey, does the St. Augustine facility do depot work on F-14s? I thought they just did Prowlers, T-38s and C-2/E-2.

Brett