• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Squadron! (16 Tomcats)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know they did some work over there a few years ago, but last summer when I did a flight down there, I didn't see much that looked operational in the Tomcat department. Just some Hummers and Prowlers, like you said.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I don't think that they did much with the Tomcat in St. Augustine, but I do know that several people who worked on the F-14 assembly were transferred there when they shut down the line. If this is going to be a low budget affair there is probably a pretty good pool of maintance talent there who might volunteer some time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
I don't think that they did much with the Tomcat in St. Augustine, but I do know that several people who worked on the F-14 assembly were transferred there when they shut down the line. If this is going to be a low budget affair there is probably a pretty good pool of maintance talent there who might volunteer some time.
Maintaining a full squadron of F-14s (of all things), which have enjoyed the dubious distinction of being the most maintenance man-hour intensive aircraft in the Navy inventory requires the full-time dedication of 150-200 maintainers working at least 2 shifts per day - not exactly a part-time volunteer job for the shade tree Northrop-Grumman depot artisan. I appreciate this guy's sentiment, but it's just not a very realistic plan.

Brett

vvmountainvv

Blutonski816 said:
welll, coming from a guy who grew up willing to give his left nut for a shot at Tomcats, I think it'd be cool to see some stil flying even after their Navy Career is long over...

dude that wouldn't be smart. you would definitely get a BAD callsign.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Maintaining a full squadron of F-14s (of all things), which have enjoyed the dubious distinction of being the most maintenance man-hour intensive aircraft in the Navy inventory requires the full-time dedication of 150-200 maintainers working at least 2 shifts per day - not exactly a part-time volunteer job for the shade tree Northrop-Grumman depot artisan. I appreciate this guy's sentiment, but it's just not a very realistic plan.

That said, I wouldn't think they'd wouldn't have to necessarily run a full flight schedule everyday.

B

Blutonski816

vvmountainvv said:
dude that wouldn't be smart. you would definitely get a BAD callsign.

That's true, but I'd still be a Tomcat guy, lol...

but seriously, with Toms going by the wayside, I'm a clean slate in terms of the "what Platform will I fly" attitude...
So from here until being selected for whatever pipeline after Primary, I'm just gonna worry about "getting there"....

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Brett327 said:
First, they're not being turned into scrap. Second, they're not going to keep flying - airshows or otherwise. I'll bet a years pay on it - who's in?

Brett

Im a 3/C middy I'LL bet a years pay!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
That said, I wouldn't think they'd wouldn't have to necessarily run a full flight schedule everyday.
PM and specials are going to be the same regardless of how much you fly. I'd like to see this guy's business plan.

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
nittany03 said:
then why would the fella need 16 jets? why not three, two to fly & one to can parts from? the whole idea is wishful thinking; i agree with brett

semper fi

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Brett327 said:

Brett
Figure that you have 16 planes depending on what you are trying to do you may only need 4 or 5 of them at a time. No weapons systems to maintain, probably reduced avionics. Minimal high G maneuvering. Lack of unnecessary bullsh*t. People who are doing it because they want to not because they have to. I can see it happening. You want some fun try maintaining a B-17 and a C-123 for something to do. That's where most of my weekends go. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
Figure that you have 16 planes depending on what you are trying to do you may only need 4 or 5 of them at a time. No weapons systems to maintain, probably reduced avionics. Minimal high G maneuvering.
With your maintenance background, you should know better. As previously posted, you're still going to have to do all the PM and specials, no matter how often they fly. Even a stripped down A/C would have all the Aircraft Division work and a good portion of AV/ARM - not exactly a part time commitment. Minimal high Gs, eh? Have you ever been to an airshow? I don't think this guy is intent on buying 16 jets so he can do straight & level fly-bys. I'd be curious to know how much FLE some of those Tomcats have left on their airframes (Schnug???).

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Brett327 said:
With your maintenance background, you should know better. As previously posted, you're still going to have to do all the PM and specials, no matter how often they fly. Even a stripped down A/C would have all the Aircraft Division work and a good portion of AV/ARM - not exactly a part time commitment. Minimal high Gs, eh? Have you ever been to an airshow? I don't think this guy is intent on buying 16 jets so he can do straight & level fly-bys. I'd be curious to know how much FLE some of those Tomcats have left on their airframes (Schnug???).

Brett
You're assuming that they maintain the planes like the Navy does. There are many war birds out there including jets that do not get dailies, pm or specials. The FAA does not require this. It's all fix as needed or flight time based.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
You're assuming that they maintain the planes like the Navy does.
No, not really, but a Jet as complex as the F-14 (or 16 of them) still requires lots of maintenance and upkeep - more than even a large team of part time volunteers would be capable of performing. Presumably, the guy would want to take them on the road too. Just sounds more like fantasy than reality to me. Lots of swiss cheese holes to line up, if you know what I mean. :tongue2_1

It's all ball bearings these days,

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More than likely he would be starting up some sort of a adversary for hire company.

The jets in the boneyard are high flight time for the older ones. Many with over 4000 hrs on the main boxbeams.

I would suspect it would be a venture that would be contracting services back to the Navy. I.e., ASM profile runs, etc.

Daily inspections would be a neccessary evil. Too many things just "go wrong" for no reason on these older jets.

r/
G