• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Picked up as pilot, now worried about my eyes!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is probably true for most cases, but keep in mind that there are also refractive limits. My vision is between 20/30 and 20/40 (depends on the day), but it's all astigmatism which is what got me. There's a link to the medical requirements somewhere around this site, they have all the limits for refraction, phorias, etc if you are worried.

I have the same issue. When I went through NAMI (a month after having a current flight physical), I was told my eyes were so close to the limit, there's no way I could have been worse and still be w/in reqs (back then it was 20/30). After the exam, I asked how I was. They said I was worse...but still in the limits. Um, thanks. The issue was the astigmatism, which is finally starting to cause me problems 10+ years later (meaning needing glasses when I didn't used to).

There was more to the story at the time, but you get the idea. It's not as cut and dry as "20/40, you're good."

Garrettrw

20/40 before you get to NAMI. Once you pass NAMI, then 20/100 or better and you're good.

Relax, man. EVERYONE who doesn't have >20/20 worries about their eyes after they finally get picked up. I know I did. I had 20/40... the LIMIT, and I'm in advanced right now. It's not a big mystery. If you're 20/40 or better, you'll be fine.

That's 20/40 minimum uncorrected and then they must be correctable to 20/20 with contacts or glasses right?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That's 20/40 minimum uncorrected and then they must be correctable to 20/20 with contacts or glasses right?

Yes. But you could still have astigmatism out of limits and possibly see 20/40. It's not 100% cut and dry, but in general, if you can see 20/40 uncorrected and 20/20 corrected, you're good.

Hi everyone, first time posting here!

I have a similar question, I have not applied or done any packet or testing yet, and I definitely do not meet the eye requirements. I was thinking about getting PRK done on my own dime and then try to get in as a pilot. Is this a good idea? I am not very interested in anything else.

Maybe I should take the ASTB first? Since I can't apply as a pilot with my current eyesight (and 3 months after the surgery) is there any part of the application process I can start now, just to get an idea of my chances of getting my dream job?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

nugget61

pilot
Hi everyone, first time posting here!

I have a similar question, I have not applied or done any packet or testing yet, and I definitely do not meet the eye requirements. I was thinking about getting PRK done on my own dime and then try to get in as a pilot. Is this a good idea? I am not very interested in anything else.

Maybe I should take the ASTB first? Since I can't apply as a pilot with my current eyesight (and 3 months after the surgery) is there any part of the application process I can start now, just to get an idea of my chances of getting my dream job?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Talk to a local officer recruiter and make sure you meet other criteria - it would suck to get PRK done only to find out that you're color blind or too short or something.
You can take the ASTB first and should (again, to make sure you meet mins) but also to let your OR know where you stand.
If you take your time, it can take quite a long time to fill out your package. Keep in mind that you have to wait 6 months, not 3 after PRK (waiver guide is misleading)

Talk to a local officer recruiter and make sure you meet other criteria - it would suck to get PRK done only to find out that you're color blind or too short or something.
You can take the ASTB first and should (again, to make sure you meet mins) but also to let your OR know where you stand.
If you take your time, it can take quite a long time to fill out your package. Keep in mind that you have to wait 6 months, not 3 after PRK (waiver guide is misleading)

Thanks Nugget :) I have been reading non-stop at work and at home since I found this forum so I'm still absorbing all the info.

I was nervous about taking the ASTB since they say you can only take it 3 times, I didn't want to "waste," one of my tries without studying first, especially since I failed miserably on the Ford Mechanical test on the navy-officer website.

I don't think I am colorblind but I might have astigmatism. I just read your PRK thread which was pretty reassuring, then I read the astigmatism disqualifying one and I might fall into that category.

The 6 month wait period was also pretty discouraging, but I guess that just gives me more time to shape up for my tests!