• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Picture of the Future of Naval In-Flight Refueling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's more interesting is in that picture, you can see how canted the pylons and stores are on a Super Hornet.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddiemac0 said:
Why is that? I assume it has something to do with aerodynamics, No?

Weapons seperation. They wanted to make sure when weapons were released that they did not hit the plane. I saw a good video of a weapons test A-4 that lost its wing after it dropped a bomb and the bomb hit the wing. Great video, the chase plane caught everything (both pilots ejected).

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Hmmm. I wonder if that means the a/c suffers some drag coef. due to the exaggerated angles? I'd always assumed the angling was some aerodynamics trick that was over my head.

B

Blutonski816

well, the S.Hornet does hae a max speed of Mach 1.6... less than the Legacy hornet's 1.8... I'm sure that's one of the factors that slows it down...

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I always thought that Hornets were serious gas guzzlers. How does one carry enough fuel to share in any useful quantity?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dunedan said:
I always thought that Hornets were serious gas guzzlers. How does one carry enough fuel to share in any useful quantity?

5 bubble... buddy stores.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It looks like the C-2B might become a reality. If so, it will carry external fuel tanks and apparently be capable of air-to-air refueling. Meaning, it will be a tanker. So the Rhino just might get some slack from the super COD in about 12-15 years from now :eek:

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bunk22 said:
It looks like the C-2B might become a reality. If so, it will carry external fuel tanks and apparently be capable of air-to-air refueling. Meaning, it will be a tanker. So the Rhino just might get some slack from the super COD in about 12-15 years from now :eek:

Any idea how the C-2B will be powered? Turbofans? Turboprops? Pulse jet (kidding).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
Any idea how the C-2B will be powered? Turbofans? Turboprops? Pulse jet (kidding).

I think it will still be the T-56 turboprop,with the eight bladed prop of course. It still isn't funded but PMA-531 (I think it's 531) is pushing the issue with the higher ups and into the political arena. Its main competition is the V-22 Osprey. The Navy could possibly nix the C-2B for the V-22. At this point though, it looks like the C-2B has a strong chance for production.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Is this kind of a waste of assets? Every bird buddy-tanking is one that could've gone in your strike package.

Status
Not open for further replies.