• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Picture of the Future of Naval In-Flight Refueling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayday said:
Hmmm. I wonder if that means the a/c suffers some drag coef. due to the exaggerated angles? I'd always assumed the angling was some aerodynamics trick that was over my head.

Talked to a former F-14 driver who was flying SH's and he said the external tanks are like huge airbrakes. He said if he only had a centerline on he could immediately tell a huge difference.

As for the SH having to little gas to give, it has more than an S-3B. Why they did not just mod a few S-3's into KS-3's (they actually made a prototype or 2 in the late 70's or early 80's) and have some tankers with some really decent give......well, if only ;)

Jedj

Single centerline tank and the super's not bad at all, not much drag and obviously no angles. slick its great.

as for fuel capacity, an E holds almost 15K internal, slap on five drop tanks that hold 3.2K each and you've got a good amount of gas

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
bunk22 said:
It looks like the C-2B might become a reality. If so, it will carry external fuel tanks and apparently be capable of air-to-air refueling. Meaning, it will be a tanker. So the Rhino just might get some slack from the super COD in about 12-15 years from now :eek:

cool!! Im wondering if this will be a deployed fleet tanker? If so, does this mean that you can expect the COD to spend more time at the boat?

This is interesting to me

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
theblakeness said:
cool!! Im wondering if this will be a deployed fleet tanker? If so, does this mean that you can expect the COD to spend more time at the boat?

This is interesting to me

If this plane happens, it won't be for another 10-15 years so I can't really say. Will they spend more time at the boat? Possibly. For three years, 1997-2000, COD's spent the majority of their time on the boat and flew night logistics, including night traps. I was a part of that period and I know there is a lot of resistence within the COD community to not go back to those days (for many operational reasons). However, with new COD's, new cockpit, new capabilities, it's possible that the C-2B could be the nightime overhead tanker. We will see.

Jakapr

Reading some of these threads lately with people talking about the Rhino. The first thing was why was everybody talking about the Phantom.

Here is one of our F-4B Phantoms (VF-32) being refueled by an A-6 (VA-34)

It was to bad I never had a good 35 mm camera back then.

Jack

X-Phantom Phixer

phantom028.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.