• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot broke rules when he buzzed Downtown

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
"We found that the pilot did inadvertently go faster than FAA regulations allow," Roberts said. He would not describe the discipline, saying it was an internal matter.
The F-16 fighter jet roared north over Downtown on Aug. 17 at about 3,000 feet and between 422 and 550 mph, according to the FAA report. It flew over the Ohio State University campus between 2,100 and 2,300 feet and as fast as 497 mph before heading back Downtown for a final pass. As the jet left Downtown, it was traveling at nearly 472 mph.
Ooops....who knew? Must be within Air Force CTS...:D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can imagine the ICS comms...

Pilot: Should I go faster?
Lt Gov: Oh yeah, I'm the LT Gov you won't get in trouble.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Some people found the flyover unnerving; many called 911, and one woman was described as panicked by the sound and sight of a fighter jet over the city.

"Get the shotgun, Earl! The Canadians are invading!!!"

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
2100 feet? Pathetic..

Agreed. I still don't quite get what the guy did wrong. He didn't go too low, and the whole 250 below 10000 thing doesn't apply to the F-16, or does it? If I were that VIP, I would be apologizing on behalf of the entire state, but then again jet noise doesn't scare me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It still applies unless there's a letter of agreement. And if it was a Class D...

MasterBates

Hell, HSL and HS fly through downtown JAX at 300-500 feet.

That is lower than some of the buildings, and we are not that far from them. Maybe 100 yards or so near the Main St Bridge (the lift bridge for those semi-familiar with Freakville)

P-3s and S-3s come thru not much higher, and the only reason they are up higher is to keep the different speed traffic seperated.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hell, HSL and HS fly through downtown JAX at 300-500 feet.

Yes, but the both Opnav and the FAA say it's okay to be down there, and actually specifically encourage it. Not defending 2100 feet, but just making sure we're comparing apples to apples.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Greater than 250KIAS below 10K...roger that. "Careless and reckless..." no way. He also doesn't need clearance from controllers to go below 10K, unless he was under their control or IFR, unless they're talking about him getting approved for the high-speed.

People are lame.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also don't forget the 200 knots below the overhang of a Class B/C...right?

Sounds like he forgot where he was...

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Can the FAA really do anything to the F-16 pilot if they tried? If he had civilian certificates, could they revoke them? Could they fine him? How does this play into military pilots overall?

MasterBates

In some aircraft (helos) it is damn near impossible to be breaking a FAR, but be OPNAV legal. Not sure what they would do in that case.

I do know that even suspicion of breaking OPNAV is BAD JU-JU. Like you don't fly anymore Bad JuJu if they prove it. Being under suspiscion alone WILL get your ass grounded until they figure it the hell out.