• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilots license; is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyUtah

100% Pure Adrenaline
I was thinking heavily if I should get a pilots license before applying. I have a few hours of training now, and would like to be more competitive, but paying for it may be difficult. I don’t exactly have 5-8000 dollars in petty cash to pay for a license. Would it be considered a mistake if I would have gotten approved without having a license? Will the civilian training truly help me do better in API and primary assuming I got accepted? Is it really worth the investment if the Navy may train me for free in the future?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Use the search since this has been covered in depth on here before. Whether or not prior flight time helps can go both ways. Some guys say that it helped for certain phases, some say it hurts because you have to relearn everything the Navy way and some people don't adapt as well. It may look somewhat good in front of the selection board but whether it is worth 5-8000 dollars is a whole nother question. On your profile you have "no hobbies" listed. You might want to get involved in a few areas that could cost you nothing and not worry about shelling out the cash for flight training.

Just trying to give you a heads up before guys start jumping on you to use the search function.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Just trying to give you a heads up before guys start jumping on you to use the search function.
We do this for another reason besides getting tired of typing the same answers to the same questions (which is a biggie itself).

Part of being a military officer is showing initiative. Wanting someone to provide you all the answers without any effort on your part shows a distinct lack of initative. I don't want to work with yet alone fly with a lazy SOB that has no initative. Chances are he will get me killed one day.

It's better to learn this simple lesson here on a message board then latter on when it really counts.

This isn't specifically direct at you JohnnyUtah.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I searched and read
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133331&highlight=pilot+license previously but felt I needed to ask my own questions because they were a little different than Captianmorgan's.
Search with other words like:

civilian flight time
civilian flying
prior flying
civilian ratings
civilian tickets
civilian flying
PPL
Instrument ticket
Instrument rating
private pilot

You get the idea. Many words that can be used fro a search - singularly or in combination.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
If you happen to be in Colorado, I offer my CFI/II services gratis for like minded shipmates. That goes for anyone on Airwarriors! Just PM me and we'll go flyin'. I will have my MEI in a few weeks too if you are looking for multi-engine time.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.