• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot's License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ander37

K-rock
I just got rejected for Pilot for the second time. :(
My recruiter said that I should try to pick up a PPL. I was looking for suggestions about how to go about it.
Meaning, how did you get money and how long did it take you?

Thanks

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
You can get a PPL a variety of ways. Are you in school, does it have any sort of aviation program? This is how I did it, and you can get traditional loans in addition to your loans for school. You can also go hit up a local FBO (Fixed Base Operator). These are the guys that work at that airport in your area and rent planes, employ flight instructors etc. Most FBO's seem to have some sort of affiliation with a loan program. At the very least, I would say it will probably cost you 4000-5000 dollars. (Mine was 7,000 but I took time off in between so it took me longer).

As for length. That's entirely up to you, and the weather in your area. I think the requirement is 40 hours of total time (don't quote me on this). If the weather in your area of Washington is anything like it is here in Ohio, it's hard to finish your PPL quickly in the winter. Things like low visibility, high winds, icing etc get in the way. You could probably do it in 3 months if everything goes perfectly. Maybe shorter, but probably longer.

So if I can make a suggestion to you. Get started and go hard. Find a flight instructor that's really flexible and can work with you. Whenever you can get out of work/school and can fly, do it. Those nice days just aren't always there.

Bevo16

pilot
How do you get money? Getting a job might be a good place to start for that. I don't know of any government programs to teach kids to fly so they can improve their Navy flight school application. As far as getting a PPL, try contacting a private flight school. I put "flight school" into google and got 9,100,000 links, so information is not that hard to find.

This may be a good place for you to start:

http://www.justflightschools.com/

ander37

K-rock
That would be a great government program! :)

I am in my last year of college.
I am an athlete, so I can't realistically hold a job until this summer after I graduate.

ander37

K-rock
My stats were:
OAR 63
AQR 8
PFAR 9
FOFAR 8

My gpa is 3.1 majoring in computer science. I will prolly be 3.1 when I graduate in June.
I have 1.2 hours of flight time, so I see this is the only thing I can reallistically change.

Bevo16

pilot
You should have gone to Ohio State, their athletes don't have money problems.

I was a jock in college too, but I was also in the ROTC program. The Navy is really fat on pilots right now, and the easiest way to cut down on the numbers quickly is to reduce the numbers coming in through OCS. I would probably not get a pilot slot if I was coming out of college right now and trying to get in through OCS. I had a 3.0 in poly-sci, and that's just not going to cut it right now. It's tough. Good luck.

ander37

K-rock
Yeah, I thought my ASTB scores and being an All-American would have offset my GPA, but guess not.
Maybe third time will be a charm, but I guess not until I get a "real" job and get a PPL.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
You might consider the Marine Corps route. They don't really care...or even want you to have a ppl. At least thats what we told people while I was working at the OSO station. They wanna indoctrinate you anyway.

peanut3479

pilot
I have two recommendations for you for getting a PPL. The first would be to find out if there's a military aero club in your area (most Naval and AF bases have aero clubs). I don't know what they can do for you in terms of loans, but aero clubs are typically a lot cheaper than FBOs at civilian airports. When I switched from a local FBO to the AF club in my hometown I cut my flight training costs by about 25%. Another benefit was having an ex-military pilot for a CFI instead of a newly-minted 20-something.

The other recommendation would be to find a school that specializes in "fast-track" courses. Go buy an issue of Flying or Private Pilot and check out the various ads - there's literally dozens of schools around the country that guarantee you a license/rating in a certain amount of time and/or for a fixed cost. I have no idea how effective a "21 day PPL - $3495 - guaranteed!"-type program is, but most of those ads specifically mention that they offer financial assistance. I haven't read either mag since I let my subscriptions run out a while ago, but you'll know exactly what I'm talking about if you see it.

The FAA minimum is in fact 40hrs total time, but if you're smart enough to get into college (which you obviously are) and you can fly often enough to prevent your skills from degrading (twice a week or more), you shouldn't have a problem finishing a PPL in 3-4 months or less (weather permitting) and 40-45hrs.

peanut3479

pilot
You beat me to it, freshy - I just thought about mentioning the Marine Corps. It's DEFINITELY not for everyone - OCS and TBS suck! However, the fact is that the Marine Corps is hurting for pilots and the Navy has far too many right now - their studs down here are sitting in pools for every stage of flight training because they're so backed up.

I do believe that having a PPL did help me get accepted though - my OSO specifically mentioned my flight experience in his written recommendation on my app. - sorry freshy.

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
You're right about the flight time Peanut. It took me longer because I stopped in the middle of my training (decided to switch majors). Then I realized that I really did want to fly, not go to law school. So I finished up flight training a year and a half later. Now, because of this it took me longer. However, doing training in the winter (as he most likely will be doing) does take longer in certain parts of the country. Especially when you're trying to get your solo x-countries done. Out in Bowling Green Oh, there is absolutly no terrain. This is great for doing engine outs. However, it consistently made the x-wind in the pattern too high for a student pilot to fly based on our school rule. This resulted in me trying to fly a single x-country for 5 weeks in a row before I could get out. I'm really not familiar with the weather in Washington. I tend to believe that it is more tame than this hell-hole. I just wanted to give some information of my experiences.

P.S. Peanut or anyone else, do you know what "The needs of the Marine Corps is right now?" IE what the breakdown is for Marines going to different communities out of primary (jets/props/helos). Hopefully I'm going to OCS in January, and I was just curious what the trends are right now. Thanks in advance.

peanut3479

pilot
I'm from the heartland myself, just a few states west of OH - I know what you're talking about. I got signed off to take my PP checkride in Dec. and didn't get my PPL until mid-Feb. because of wx! It is very nice being able to go just about anywhere when the CFI cuts the throttle though.

As for the "needs of the Marine Corps," from what I've heard (emphasis on heard), it's pretty close to 50/50 right now between studs getting jets and helos out of primary, with not many prop slots (which is fairly normal, I guess). The new factor is V-22 Ospreys; I know of 2 for sure that selected out of CC a few weeks ago (there's another thread on that here somewhere), and I heard a rumor of 2-3 more selecting within the last week or two out of one of the VTs here, but I doubt it as I think it would have generated a lot of buzz.

Bottom line, however, is that the needs of the Marine Corps right now have absolutely nothing to do with your situation. I can almost guarantee you it'll be different by the time you get here, so beyond curiosity I would say don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.