• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot's License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got my PPL over the course of a summer, and I did it AFTER being picked up for BDCP. Mostly I did it just because it sounded like something fun to do with my free time, but also because my parents all but forced me to do it to make sure that I really liked flying enough to make a career out of it (I know - it was horrible :icon_tong). I've heard that it doesn't make all that much difference between getting selected or not except in the case of it being used as a tie-breaker betweeen otherwise equally qualified applicants. You're sitting with a 3.1 or 3.2 GPA in computer science AND did well on the ASTB, plus being and athlete and freaking All-American... it makes no sense to me why they wouldn't pick you up. Especially twice in a row. I heard from my OPO that all non-paid accessions into OCS (read: not BDCP) are on hold until the next fiscal year. The Navy is overbooked on pilots and won't be taking many from OCS for a while. From my understanding, OCS is meant to pick up the slack from ROTC and Academy slots - so if they're getting enough guys from those places then the regular civilian applicants are just SOL.

If you're not a Navy-only type guy I'd encourage you to look into the Marine Corps, as has been suggested by other guys. They (Marines) are what I would call the most "military" of all the branches of the military (just from what I have heard and read on this site), but if you're interested I'd be shocked if they didn't take you in a heartbeat. They are short for pilots these days and it appears to be much easier to get a Marine Corps slot than a Navy slot. That being said, the training (TBS) and mentality ARE different. There's plenty of information here on the site (as well as other places) about the culture difference between the Navy and Marines. Do some looking around - ask if you need to be pointed in the right direction - and then see if the MC is a good fit for your personality. Again, I would bet that if you decided you wanted a slot they would be more than happy to give you one (assuming you are otherwise qualified). Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

ander37

K-rock
I was thinking about the Marines after "the call" today, but I don't know much about their training. I have basically been just finding all I can about the Navy pipes and pretty much skimmed over the Marines. Is their training pipeline the same as Navy (except for TBS)?

As far as getting the PPL at our local navy base, that isn't really an option anymore, they closed it. I tried 3 years ago to get it. "Back then" it only costs $4000 to get one. Should have got it. :banghead_ stupid stupid stupid :weeping_1

I was a All-American in Golf. There is a big plaque in the athletics hall with all the past all-americans in our school. It is pretty neat to leave your name at your school forever. :)

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as getting the PPL at our local navy base, that isn't really an option anymore, they closed it. I tried 3 years ago to get it. "Back then" it only costs $4000 to get one. Should have got it. :banghead_ stupid stupid stupid :weeping_1

I'm sorry to hear about you local Navy base closing. They turned one of our bases in Austin into our main airport a few years back... which put a hitch in our wedding planning because we don't have any other military chapels in the area.

Clux4

Banned
All American in golf, that is good for the MC. You will find out that those golf skills of your might earn you some T-time with the CO and a couple of other people aroung the squadron.

Seriously if you are not bent on the Navy, you can try the MC. Afterall we are all after the same charlie. If you are thinking of the MC then I would advice you not to spend your had earned money on a PPL they can be usefull in getting your blues for commissioning and lots of beer.

ander37

K-rock
Yeah I thought the golf part would add a nice touch to my app. Maybe I should play golf with the selection board. It could be, if I beat them, I'm in. :)

Our base didn't close, just the flight club stopped teaching.
I thought about the PPL and dropping 6 g's on that, and after all that I still may not get in; that's pretty wasteful. I have thought about the MC. I just want to fly.

wannabef18pilot

I'm surprised you did not join NROTC. It seems this thread is mostly for OCS people. In my unit last year (when it was just as tight for pilot slots) 100% of the people that selected pilot from the Navy side got it.

Some GPAs, ASTB scores, and majors were much worse cases than yours. And with you being an all-American, I really don't see why you were rejected? It must literally be impossible for civilians to get pilot slots nowadays.

Also, ROTC and the Academy grads get 25 hours of civilian flight time in IFS paid for by the Navy before API. I don't know if OCS gets this as well.

Any current SNAs or naval aviators have any advice about prior flight experience in giving you a leg up in flight school. Is 25 hours sufficient enough? I only ask because I am thinking of investing some money of my own in civilian flying before I do IFS.

Thanks.

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
Guys, take it from one who knows...getting a PPL will not trump your deck either in getting a flight slot or making it through either. The most likely reason for your rejection was becasue the Navy is in an O-downsize, and the training commands are full to overflowing. The suggestion to go Corps is a good one, but from what I hear around the campfire, their not taking that many either. So far as getting the cert for training purposes, you'll learn alot of cool stuff that will boost your confidence, but you''ll end up having to flush alot of it at some point and learn the "Navy" way, and you'll likely feel a little let down that your civilian ticket isn't more help. On the financial side, getting a license these days takes about twice what it did when I graduated in '00. The instructors are going broke and consequently doing their best to drag out training as long as possible to keep valuable students. As JO's, you have alot more money available than well over half your age group, but the military isn't a super-secure career anymore, and if you have to leave early, you won't easily make the same salary out here. My advice, don't do what I did and spend alot of money for a license that will probably expire while you're in flight school or on deployment, only to find yourself on the street as an ex-LT trying to pay the bills on a 1/3 of your previous salary. Save the cash, let the Navy teach you their way and enjoy the ride :)

wilsonator

if you want to get through the flight training program, you don't need a license. if slots are tight for jets the way they are now (which nobody can predict), get your private and instrument at least and you'll increase your chances exponentially. it's just money, hapiness is flying jets.
start throwing daggers...........NOW!

wannabef18pilot

OK, so you are saying:

A.) PPL not required to get through flight school

but,

B.) PPL required in order to get jets these days

PS. Please tell me you are not a SWO

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wannabef18pilot said:
OK, so you are saying:

A.) PPL not required to get through flight school

but,

B.) PPL required in order to get jets these days

PS. Please tell me you are not a SWO

a PPL isn't required nor will it ever be required to get jets... (and yes, I know you don't mean the literal sense of 'required')

/zero prior flight time

Status
Not open for further replies.