• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC Question-From a Father

Status
Not open for further replies.

shovlhead13

IntruderDoc
Here's a question from a Newbie Dad.

My son is about to complete his freshman year at college. He told me 2 weeks ago that he swore into the Corps via the PLC program.

After some research, I am asking myself, "Then why is he going to Parris Island in 3 weeks instead of VA?"

He told me that when he graduates from PI, it's right back to college in August and that he will be in the reserves...and..he'll go to VA for more training next summer('06), again in ('07) and upon college grad. he will be commissioned.

The problem I have is I don't see going to P.I. as a requirement anywhere in reference to the PLC program. Has my son been rooked? He's been through MEPS, sworn-in, the whole 9-yards.

Can someone shed some light for Dad?

Thank you.
Semper Fi

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
As a fellow PLC'er headed to seniors I think I can help a little, Sir. The first question to ask your son is whether he talked to an enlisted recruiter or an OSO (officer selection officer)? The recruiter could definitely make it sound like enlistment is the way to go. Many officers and candidates on this site are coming from prior enlisted backgrounds and there are many advantages to that route. However it is not required. It all depends on what your son is looking for. Going enlisted in the reserves will open your son to delays in his schooling due to an unforseen deployment etc. The fastest way to commision is straight school with summer training through the PLC junior senior route. I hope this helped a little. I'd be happy to answer any more direct questions you have.
Semper Fi, Doc

KBayDog

It certainly sounds like he enlisted, and is not in PLC. A recruiter cannot send him to PLC - an OSO can. If he truly wants to go PLC without going into the reserves, he needs to talk to an OSO ASAP. Otherwise, he will report to PISC as a recruit.

Recruits fail to report to boot camp all the time; really, until you are sworn in the second time at MEPS, you can still back out. Recruiters hate it, and yes, you are breaking your contract, but it happens all the time. That said, if he were to do that, it might hurt his chances for PLC. The best way to clear this up (unless he wants to be enlisted...which is a great way to go, but does not guarantee PLC or anything like that) is to talk to the OSO yesterday and get a PLC contract going.

Good luck and S/F

shovlhead13

IntruderDoc
Uh oh.

I'm feeling sick.
I know he had an enlisted recruiter.
I get the feeling he signed my son into the active reserve.
This is bad.
Thanks.

KBayDog

It is only bad if he had his heart set on PLC, not enlisting. Maybe he really wanted to enlist?

Please let us know how it turns out.

cast-n-blast

If he did get accepted for plc, through the active reserves, could he drop out even if he wanted too? I didn't know that he could even go that route,

CUBoulder

Milk Is For Babies...I Drink Beer
At CU there is a Cpl who is in the reserves and going through PLC. He can still get called out of school from what he told me. Even after completing a PLC course. I could be wrong though.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
shovlhead13 said:
Here's a question from a Newbie Dad.

My son is about to complete his freshman year at college. He told me 2 weeks ago that he swore into the Corps via the PLC program.

After some research, I am asking myself, "Then why is he going to Parris Island in 3 weeks instead of VA?"

He told me that when he graduates from PI, it's right back to college in August and that he will be in the reserves...and..he'll go to VA for more training next summer('06), again in ('07) and upon college grad. he will be commissioned.

The problem I have is I don't see going to P.I. as a requirement anywhere in reference to the PLC program. Has my son been rooked? He's been through MEPS, sworn-in, the whole 9-yards.

Can someone shed some light for Dad?

Thank you.
Semper Fi

This is sounding to become more and more common. When I first looked into the Marines, I had no idea if the recruiting station in town here had an OSO or not. So I spoke to someone who turned out to be an enlisted recruiter. He fed me the same bull****...how the only way to PLC is via prior service. When I finally got in contact with the OSO for my district, he was ****ting kittens when I told him the information I was given.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH...

First of all, yes, he's probably going reserves. But it also sounds like he's in PLC, too. They CAN happen at the same time. And relax, if he's got a PLC contract, it overwrites his eligibility to deploy (Edit: I stand corrected. I'm looking up the MCO's and any other pubs addressing this to find out the details.) Therefore he gets the best of both worlds. He'll get the Reserve GIBill, enlisted experience, limited obligation, and full Tuition Reimbursement (MCFAP and MCTAP) without sacrificing his original Pay Entry Base Date. Everybody's happy - everybody wins. He's happy becuase he gets lots of financial aid, the Marine Corps is happy because they get to fill two quotas at the same time. The worst that can happen is that he fails a couple semesters of college and gets dropped from PLC, making him choose between a 4-year active duty stint or payback of his financial aid and the completion of his original 6-yr stint. That's the WORST that can happen. If you have further questions or do not fully understand what I'm talking about, PM me.

VAmookie

Mayday said:
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH...

First of all, yes, he's probably going reserves. But it also sounds like he's in PLC, too. They CAN happen at the same time. And relax, if he's got a PLC contract, it strictly and without exception overwrites his eligibility to deploy. Therefore he gets the best of both worlds. He'll get the Reserve GIBill, enlisted experience, limited obligation, and full Tuition Reimbursement (MCFAP and MCTAP) without sacrificing his original Pay Entry Base Date. Everybody's happy - everybody wins. He's happy becuase he gets lots of financial aid, the Marine Corps is happy because they get to fill two quotas at the same time. The worst that can happen is that he fails a couple semesters of college and gets dropped from PLC, making him choose between a 4-year active duty stint or payback of his financial aid and the completion of his original 6-yr stint. That's the WORST that can happen. If you have further questions or do not fully understand what I'm talking about, PM me.

Actually, this is not entirely true. Two friends at my OSO have both been activated and are in 29 palms as we speak. Both have completed PLC jrs and are in the reserves. PLC does not supercede(sp?) reserve contracts/duties

Xeo111

I think I will go to my grave regretting not having enlisted before college. I wish I did what your son is doing.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Two of my platoon mates at juniors were activated while we were AT juniors last summer. After we graduated one went to Afghanistan, the other to Iraq. Their PLC contracts didn't trump any of their prior reserve obligations.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Um just to refresh everyone's memory the nation is AT WAR! If a Marine reservist is called up that is what they are trained and paid to do. If this delays their personal career plans by a year or two so be it! Anyone who thinks of themselves as special or exempt should think long and hard about their desire to be an Officer. If a recruiter is passing bad gouge that is not right but lets keep this in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.