• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Policy regarding pictures/video in the cockpit

narfmasta

I was wondering if you're allowed to take pictures or video while you're in the cockpit :confused: There of course are plenty online, but I was just wondering what the official policy is

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
it's usually OK in fleet aircraft though, but you should never film anything in the cockpit or the crew stations. I take pictures from the War Pig all the time - got quite a few sweet shots of Mt Saint Helens and blue whales. But you gotta be careful not to accidently take pics of your buddy in the seat and get the TMS up in the same frame. Same goes for taking pics at the crew stations, don't get the equipment in the shot.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Objects are closer than they appear....

I was wondering if you're allowed to take pictures or video while you're in the cockpit :confused: There of course are plenty online, but I was just wondering what the official policy is

In the seventies, an Air Force A-7D pilot was making home movies with a camera in the cockpit (pre digital) and the lens he was peering through as he executed a rendezvous made his flight lead appear further than he actually was and, presto, change-o: one of the most infamous midairs for several generations. The surviving film was used to train aircrews in all services for decades and the Air Force banned cameras in the cockpit unless it was officially sanctioned (ie Combat Photographers and Intel purposes). Navy fleet squadrons haven't been so constrained even though a few improperly briefed photexs haven't gone so well on rare occasion.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Big no in the VTs

Should be caveated to say it's a big no no in Primary, but post-Primary, if you're not at the controls and the IP says no problem, go for it. I have tons of pictures that I've done in Advanced, I even know a guy who has some sort of helmet mounted camera thingy that he purchased online, and the command didn't seem to care.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In the seventies, an Air Force A-7D pilot was making home movies with a camera in the cockpit ....presto, change-o: one of the most infamous midairs for several generations
I flew with him in the airlines. He is still an idiot to this day. He is also a below average pilot.

We used to torment him with join-up/rendezvous chit-chat and calls in the 747 simulator ... :)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I don't know exactly when the ban went down in the VTs, but I do know a few years back there was a class A in VT-2 involving an unauthorized formation maneuver and some in flight photography. Very tragic to all those involved. I also took many, many pictures both on a submarine and in the E-6. You just have to watch what you are framing in the shot and where you post the ones that might have a bit TMI. Some shots are best left to your personal collection rather than all over the Internet.

narfmasta

it's usually OK in fleet aircraft though, but you should never film anything in the cockpit or the crew stations. I take pictures from the War Pig all the time - got quite a few sweet shots of Mt Saint Helens and blue whales. But you gotta be careful not to accidently take pics of your buddy in the seat and get the TMS up in the same frame. Same goes for taking pics at the crew stations, don't get the equipment in the shot.

sorry I'm not too familiar with all of the acronyms... what's TMS :confused:

And thanks for the responses guys

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Tomcat incident of Hawaii....or was it San Diego?? Regardless, as an SNA, the general feeling is the last thing you should be worried about is taking pictures while flying. Plenty of fleet time for that.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know of two sets of F-14s that collided while doing aerial photohgraphy...

One set of crews lied on base radio and said they bumped when IMC in a cloud...they got caught and hammered.

The other set collided two new F-14Ds at ~26K going straight up...great story over a beer. One jet had 6 CATM-54Cs and 2 CATM-9.

They all got out at high altitude and had long rides down to lose their PCLs...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I don't know exactly when the ban went down in the VTs, but I do know a few years back there was a class A in VT-2 involving an unauthorized formation maneuver and some in flight photography. Very tragic to all those involved. I also took many, many pictures both on a submarine and in the E-6. You just have to watch what you are framing in the shot and where you post the ones that might have a bit TMI. Some shots are best left to your personal collection rather than all over the Internet.
Its a really sad story ... its hard to believe. We have a binder in our line shack (VT-6) with class A and B mishap reports to read while we are waiting around.
Its in there, plus they told us about it when checking in. What they were doing did not pass the smell test for sure...