• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Policy regarding pictures/video in the cockpit

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
CTW-5 aircraft are not allowed to do in-flight photography without approval. Other aircraft can unless it is limited due to instructions (ie. CTW-5, etc), SOP or due to some of the equipment being classified. If it is not classified then it is fair game. A lot of people think you can't photograph the cockpits, but you can. I ran into this problem a lot just from people not knowing or going by what they heard. Most the limits in the training commands are just for safety reasons.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
VT-4, in flight pics allowed IAW a read & initial file. I think its during forms only, but not sure... Haven't done the T-6 thing in a while.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I know of two sets of F-14s that collided while doing aerial photohgraphy...

One set of crews lied on base radio and said they bumped when IMC in a cloud...they got caught and hammered.

The other set collided two new F-14Ds at ~26K going straight up...great story over a beer. One jet had 6 CATM-54Cs, 2 CATM-9 and 2 CATM-7.

They all got out at high altitude and had long rides down to lose their PCLs...

I don't know, sounds a little fishy to me, since the Tomcat can't carry 10 missiles.:confused:

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know, sounds a little fishy to me, since the Tomcat can't carry 10 missiles.:confused:

Oops, my bust...they had 4 CATM-54 on the belly, two CATM-54 on the lower wing stations (1 and 8)..and two CATM-9.

Lost track of my count, too...basically we lost most of our telemetry Phoenix that day, and they cost more than a regular Phoenix back then.

I was on CVW staff and flew with the squadron that had the mishap.

The jet flew a flight that morning as well and this pic was taken during that hop, IIRC. This was the configuration.

BUNOs were 164340 and 159635 from my web research.

Attachments

• f14d31n.jpg
    f14d31n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 103

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
narfmasta-

Sounds as though the policy may change from community to community, because the Navy actually provides you with a camera while flying operationally over the ocean to photograph "suspect" ships. In fact, can't remember a sortie where I DID'NT have a camera to take pics.

Last tidbit, the Boat actually has a "pic of the day" (POTD) contest where aircrew submit pictures for consideration as POTD from the previous days flying. Best POTD that I ever saw was of my skipper's drop tank floating in the water off Pt Mugu following his inadvertent jettison of the tank. Of course, he didn't think it was funny at all.....especially after having briefed/berated his JOs ad nauseum about the peculiarities of the Hornet's jettison capabilities at an AOM the day prior.....simply BEAUTIFUL!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BUNOs were 164340 and 159635 from my web research.

Geesh. What, was that the first Tomcat and last Tomcat ever built. That's quite a spread.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Sounds as though the policy may change from community to community, because the Navy actually provides you with a camera while flying operationally over the ocean to photograph "suspect" ships. In fact, can't remember a sortie where I DID'NT have a camera to take pics.

Shouldn't change from community to community. On the camera we gave you guys on the boat they had black and with film with the focus fixed at infinity just for the reasons you stated above. As I said before the only reason to limit in-flight photography is either because something is classified or for safety (i.e. training commands). Even if you have classified equipment on board your aircraft you can still take pictures as long as you don't photograph that particular piece of equipment. I have taken pictures in CVIC and even in the CT working space. We would just cover up anything that we didn't want in the picture.