• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Potential long shot - looking for the issued FOD-free pen leashes

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Not sure if this is still a thing in the iPad era of flight school, but when I was going through Primary at Whiting Field 2017-2018, we got issued these Detectamet brand FOD-free pens along with these sorta elastic leashes to attach them to a kneeboard.

The pens themselves are available online but the leashes don’t seem to be from the same brand. Curious to see if anyone knows where those come from so I can get my hands on one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always just used a length of the thin paracord to tie in my pen. I melt the knot and tape the pen mechanism. A regular skillcraft pen will last a few years.

Meyerkord

pilot
Is this the one you’re taking about? I’ve been rocking this setup since primary. I’m trying to remember if these strings came in a package or if they tied them for us manually. Tried to find them online but no joy ☹️

Attachments

• IMG_6004.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 78

kookylukey

Some people in my primary class got the last of the leashes when I was there about a year ago. Student from VT3 started making them and selling them, but I'm not sure if they still do and unfortunately haven't seen or heard of any squadrons getting new ones.

croakerfish

pilot
I personally don’t like anything secured to my body in the cockpit that I can’t break like a twig if it gets snagged while I’m egressing. Those pens look pretty beefy compared to a Skilcraft.

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator
I was lucky enough to snag one during primary about 18 months ago. It was the last one in a box that Safety found and put out for people to grab. If you're a bit handy, all you need is some elastic rope, heatshrink, and a heatgun.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I was lucky enough to snag one during primary about 18 months ago. It was the last one in a box that Safety found and put out for people to grab. If you're a bit handy, all you need is some elastic rope, heatshrink, and a heatgun.
Good idea! There’s a use for heat shrink that had not occurred to me…

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Some people in my primary class got the last of the leashes when I was there about a year ago. Student from VT3 started making them and selling them, but I'm not sure if they still do and unfortunately haven't seen or heard of any squadrons getting new ones.
Sounds like it was a one-and-done. No worries, I currently just use stripped 550 cord but was mainly looking for something a little easier to attach/detach from the kneeboard and the pen itself.

hdr777

pilot
Other question, what pens do you guys use? I attached a few to the leash but it eventually broke the pen clip

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Similar to Brett, I used a plastic hotel pen and made a hole in the end with a hot needle. Thread paracord through it, tie off, and melt the end of the knot. Tie to kneeboard. Just to be clear, this is an AI recreation of the actual device.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 24