• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

President speaks at USNA graduation (to unarmed grads)

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
When Bush went to Quantico, Secret Service made all the LTs turn in their rifles. I thought it was silly, but at least they're consistent.

Noone could have a weapon when bush came to Al Faw back before Christmas and I assume Obama has the same thing happen when he came in April (cant be sure as I was in OZ at the time).

I have only taken my sword out of the box to look at it. My loop is still in the original tissue paper and box.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Off topic, but do USNA guys still get mixed in for lineal numbers with NROTC grads as they did in '95 (they seemed pissed back then, bwah!!!)? Graduation back then was on May 31st, my commissioning paperwork matches it, but I didn't actually graduate till June 9th... 22 May seems early.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Off topic, but do USNA guys still get mixed in for lineal numbers with NROTC grads as they did in '95 (they seemed pissed back then, bwah!!!)? Graduation back then was on May 31st, my commissioning paperwork matches it, but I didn't actually graduate till June 9th... 22 May seems early.

AFAIK, they still do.... Graduation moved back a week to the 22ndish somewhere shortly after '95.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We don't have them at my unit...probably a budget thing...
Yeah ... we bought our own at the same time we purchased our personal swords (as most guys did) ... usually between 2nd and 1st class years ... there was never any NROTC restriction against wearing the knot -- in fact, it was kinda 'required' so as to be 'uniform' ... and the sword looked kinda naked w/out it. The Marine option STUDs always bitched as their sword package cost more than the Navy ...

If memory serves, however, even the back-up Unit swords had knots -- and some of those had been hanging' around the Armory for years ... mebbe make that decades. :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AFAIK, they still do.... Graduation moved back a week to the 22ndish somewhere shortly after '95.
IIRC, when I got commissioned, Ensigns were not getting lineal numbers until they made JG.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Marines who grad in May have to have the same commissioning date as USNA. My ceremony was on the 9th, but my paperwork has the 23rd. I couldn't get my ID switched until after the 23rd. That's a crock. I won't get promoted until the 23rd. Also a crock; especially considering that lineal standing later on comes from TBS rank, not when we commissioned. C'est la vie.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I have a sword that my parents got me for commissioning. My name is engraved on it and stuff and it's pretty cool. Don't really do anything with it, it kind of just sits in its case. I guess it will be cool to cut a wedding cake with when I get married, but I don't anticipate that for a long, long time. Enjoying the single SNA lifestyle.

Honestly though, if I were to kill somebody, I would just rather get a lead pipe than my sword. I think that would do greater damage.

MasterBates

You guys didn't have your swords sharpened? Mine was sharp enough to actually be used as one. Only thing it ever cut was a cake though.

I do need to eventually get a new sword, but I'll wait to see if I make LCDR.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
You guys didn't have your swords sharpened? Mine was sharp enough to actually be used as one. Only thing it ever cut was a cake though.

I do need to eventually get a new sword, but I'll wait to see if I make LCDR.
I don't know if my sword's been sharpened or not. I want to say no because it certainly doesn't feel sharp. Is that something that needs to be done? I don't really know sword protocol. Like I said, I got one and it just sits there.

torpedo0126

I don't know if my sword's been sharpened or not. I want to say no because it certainly doesn't feel sharp. Is that something that needs to be done? I don't really know sword protocol. Like I said, I got one and it just sits there.

no it does not need to be sharpened as it is a ceremonial sword. and depending on the manufacturer it probably wouldn't last very long if you were to try and slash something with it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
no it does not need to be sharpened as it is a ceremonial sword. and depending on the manufacturer it probably wouldn't last very long if you were to try and slash something with it.
The only manufacturer I know of who manufactured their swords to fighting standards was Wilkinson, and they're out of the sword business now. Besides which, the Navy sword has a cut-and-thrust blade. The back edge is sharpened for about 6 inches or so. So if you sharpened it, you'd slash hell out of your nice, expensive chokers or SDBs whilst going to the carry position.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The only manufacturer I know of who manufactured their swords to fighting standards was Wilkinson, and they're out of the sword business now.....
Does Toledo Steel -- i.e., Spain -- still make them?? They were built to a 'fighting standard', at least as late as @ 40 years ago.

Those were highly sought out in the ol' days and we picked several up while on a 1st Class MED cruise ... some for ourselves & we shipped some home from the Rota NEX for Amigos who didn't make 'the crossing'.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
When I graduated in 07 there were several sword manufactures to choose from. Toledo was still one of them. However I didn't like how the handle felt and went with a German made blade. The ones the academy drills with are all Toledo.