• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Service but Old

Naz

I'm looking to join the naval reserves as a pilot, but want to get a few questions answered before I seek out a recruiter.
I'm prior service naval reserve with some active duty time. Here's a few things I have going against me:

I'm 38 years old.
My medical says I wear corrective lenses but I never wear them when I fly. I've never needed them. Regardless, my vision isn't 20/20.
I served for 11 years before I got out several years ago.

Plus side:
I have my commercial pilot's license with current instrument rating and multi-engine ad-on.
I have two bachelor's degrees in Aviation Management and Aviation Technology Professional Piloting.
I have no health or psych issues.
I could probably pass a PFA with an excellent.
I have been in aviation for 17 years.
I currently work for the FAA.

Would you folks happen to know if it's worth it for me to even try or should I just go the airline route? Thanks

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm looking to join the naval reserves as a pilot, but want to get a few questions answered before I seek out a recruiter.
I'm prior service naval reserve with some active duty time. Here's a few things I have going against me:

I'm 38 years old.
My medical says I wear corrective lenses but I never wear them when I fly. I've never needed them. Regardless, my vision isn't 20/20.
I served for 11 years before I got out several years ago.

Plus side:
I have my commercial pilot's license with current instrument rating and multi-engine ad-on.
I have two bachelor's degrees in Aviation Management and Aviation Technology Professional Piloting.
I have no health or psych issues.
I could probably pass a PFA with an excellent.
I have been in aviation for 17 years.
I currently work for the FAA.

Would you folks happen to know if it's worth it for me to even try or should I just go the airline route? Thanks

There is a reserve aviation program but it’s for current or prior military aviators / officers. It’s not for someone off the streets like you.

Your age is beyond the active duty pilot requirements (32) as well.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Based on your age, since Pilot/NFO are out, the reserve “aviation” officer programs you could look at are:
- AEDO/AMDO, if your degrees/experience qualify
- Supply, then look for billets in support of a CNAFR hardware unit (not sure how many reserve SUPPOs there are who are brownshoes)
- Intel, then screen for VAQ-209 or NAWDC as soon as you can
- Chaplain, then look for ways to support a Navy or Marine Corps aviation unit

Edit: none of the above jobs stop you from going for airlines in your day job.

Last edited: