• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private Pilot with TA??

Snipesley

Maritime Kbay
In a nut shell--Why won't the Navy provide TA for a private pilots license?

My story--I have been obtaining my private pilot license through the on base Navy Flying Club (NAS Whidbey Island). I have been paying for this out of my own pocket and to this point have not been concerned about it. However, recently I've read that tuition assitance is availiable for professional licenses. I know the pilot license is a recognized profesional license. I just don't understand why the college office has informed me they will not provide TA for pilot lincenses even though they will pay for other programs? Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In a nut shell--Why won't the Navy provide TA for a private pilots license? ....
TA ??? Tits & Ass ... ??? Is THAT what you mean ... ??? Sometimes ... you guys should revisit the English language instead of only going to acronym/abbreviation shorthand school ....

But on the outside chance you meant: tuition assistance?? You don't need a Private Pilot's License to fly for UNCLE ... so why should he pay for one ... ??? Why should the TAXPAYER subsidize your wants and desires when it's not necessary to fly for and serve your country ... ???

Where does it stop ??? Mebbe you'd like UNCLE to pay for you to get an ATP as well ... ??? That would make it easier to get on w/ the airlines at a later time ... :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
However recently I've read that tuition assitance is availiable for professional licenses. I know the pilot license is a recognized profesional license.

A simple private license is in no means considered a professional license. If you notice in the FAR's, you can't get paid to fly people around with only a private.

Get your private and they might help with your commercial/multi-engine/etc, but you gotta show you'll do it on own first.

Bolter

pilot
Because it is a PRIVATE pilots license. Private, meaning that you will not use it in your career, which is what the purpose of TA is. Now your COMMERCIAL license (and other follow-on training), something that you can actually use to make an income, TA will pay for.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
In a nut shell--Why won't the Navy provide TA for a private pilots license?

He will. You can get primo flight training in a T-34 turbomentor or t-6 texan II, followed by more specialized flight training in any one of numerous beautiful orange and white planes...for free! Hell, they'll even pay you to do it! Only a sizable chunk of your adult life is required in return.

I'm pretty sure when you're done flight training and winged, you can go over to the FAA and take a test to get your PPL without paying for the civilian time, but I'm not certain. Perhaps someone with those shiny gold wings can vet this statement for accuracy.

Nothing in life is free, dood.

Bolter

pilot
I'm pretty sure when you're done flight training and winged, you can go over to the FAA and take a test to get your PPL without paying for the civilian time, but I'm not certain. Perhaps someone with those shiny gold wings can vet this statement for accuracy.

True statement. After I finished up in Meridian, I took a test (yes, there is gouge), went to the FAA, and walked away with a instrument/ commercial rating.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Why couldn't you do your private pilots license through a college degree and have TA assist with it that way? The local airport in my college town offered college credit through some college in the west for flight training. If it counted towards a bachelors even as an elective wouldn't TA pay for it?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
True statement. After I finished up in Meridian, I took a test (yes, there is gouge), went to the FAA, and walked away with a instrument/ commercial rating.

And that gouge was/is very good :D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MOntgomery GI BIll will pay for training beyond a PPL that is commercial in nature.

The next logical step would be commercial single engine land.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Cheapest Military Competency

Yes, yes it was!
DO NOT PAY FOR A CLASS/GOUGE SESSION! This method is the same info passed at "gouge" sessions that will cost you $150. Total price for this is about $110...or less!

Step 1: Purchase this and share with your class http://www.gleim.com/products/productdetails.php?proID=6808 (~$19.95)
Step 2: Memorize only the questions for the Military Competence Test
Step 3: Schedule the test http://www.catstest.com/html/applicants/faa/index.html
Step 4: Take test $90 (You are not required to get an instructorto endorse you for this test! Do nto be a sucker)
Step 5: Set up appointment with FSDO for certificate. The ones I listed are for jet guy locations. If not near one below find the one nearest to you on the FAA's website.

Richmond FSDO
5707 Huntsman Road, Suite 100
Richmond International Airport
Richmond, Virginia 23250-2415
Phone: (804) 222-7494 Fax: (804) 222-4843

San Diego FSDO
8525 Gibbs Drive
Suite 120
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 502-9882 Fax: (858) 502-9985

Seattle FSDO
1601 Lind Avenue SW, Suite 260
Renton, WA 98057
Phone: (425) 227-2813 or (800) 354-1940 Fax: (425) 227-1810

Fresno FSDO
4955 E. Anderson
Suite 110
Fresno, California 93727
Phone: (559) 454-0286 Fax: (559) 454-8808

Greensboro FSDO
FAA, FSDO EA-39
6433 Bryan Blvd
Greensboro, North Carolina 27409
Phone: (336) 662-1000 Fax: (336) 662-1080

Things you must bring.
1. Driver's License and Military ID
2. Your FAA medical certificate
3. Current License if you have one
4. ORIGINAL test results for the Military Competency Exam
5. Certificate of rating at winging/NATOPS
6. Logbook
7. Instrument rating paperwork
8. Completed Form 8710-1 (with your info not mine)

Attachments

• Military Competency 8710.doc
    274 KB · Views: 31

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All good info, FLYTPAY, but when it's the day after your winging and you have to PCS across the country w/in the week, sometimes it's just easier to pay a little more and have the admin taken care of for you.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
DO NOT PAY FOR A CLASS/GOUGE SESSION! This method is the same info passed at "gouge" sessions that will cost you $150. Total price for this is about $110...or less!

Well, that's true about the gleim book but I gotta admit the gouge class came in really handy after I had spent the night before the class/test drinking. It required the least amount of thinking. :D