• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private Pilot's License

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Hey guys, I am an OCC 191 NFO select and I was contemplating getting some flight hours in towards my PPL down at Quantico's flying club. Would it be worth it to start now or would I just be wasting money since IFS pays for ground school etc....? Would I be better off waiting to use my own cash until after I do Flight Officer IFS?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If you can get a solo in before OCC or IFS, go for it, then you wont have to do IFS.

You really won't get alot towards your PPL with NFO IFS, since you'll never be in the plane by yourself and you only get the first 5 hours or so in the pilots seat. the rest of it is in the right seat doing nav stuff.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Oh ok. But is it worth it to spend my own money on ground school or should I just wait? I want to get my PPL on my own even though I am going NFO, but not sure if I should wait or just start now while I am bored and working in a cube lol.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'd start now. If you have the time and the money go for it. I wish I'd started mine while i was in school.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I am not in school. I work for a federal agency in Northern VA. Been outta school for a lil while now :).

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Real quick: Now that I'm an SNA and not an NFO, what's the difference between IFS for each? Thanks, Doc

E6286

OCC 191 Select
You will get to fly now that you are an SNA.

Hey Bubba, do you think the quantico flying club will let me take lessons there even though I am not in yet? Also, could I get my PPL by the time Jan. rolls around?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
They have certain eligibility reqs- Active duty mil/dep, reserve/ret, civilian employee working on quantico, or their dep.

You could call and ask, and maybe show them your paperwork, but they have some problems thinking outside of the box with nonstandard situations. If its not specifically approved in their written SOP then your probably SOL for now.

Definately look into it though- they are cheaper then some of the other places around NoVa

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
For Doc: NFO IFS is considerably less hours, you don't solo, you get a night flight and you get to fly in varying weather. As a pilot, you need more hours, a solo, no night flight and you fly only in clear weather. For E6: dunno if they'll let you fly with them. You should be able to get it before you go to OCC, but alot of theat is weather dependant.

FLY_USMC

pilot
One thing you also have to remember is you only get NFO IFS if your training schedule permits it. As of late, I'm pretty sure quite a few NFO's have classed up for API right away, and not done IFS.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, I am in the process of debating things. I don't know if I have 5K to spend in the next few months and I guess time won't really permit much PPL time once the training pipeline starts so I guess it isn't worth trying to cram in right now.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
One thing you also have to remember is you only get NFO IFS if your training schedule permits it.

Dunno how it is w/ Marines, but for us Navy NFO's, IFS is mando (first year it has been). In fact, there's a Navy LT who's doin IFS w/ me post-API.