• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private Pilot's License

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
One thing you also have to remember is you only get NFO IFS if your training schedule permits it. As of late, I'm pretty sure quite a few NFO's have classed up for API right away, and not done IFS.

What about those who are reporting to Mike Co. and doing IFS before classing up at Camp Barret? I heard that was pretty run of the mill down there right now. I guess bubbas like E6286 might not get the chance if they class up soon after 191.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Yeah, sorry, I meant for Marines. Being in Mike Co. and doing IFS I think is pretty standard, depending on what OCS-TBS combination your doing, I think some have a long gaps between start dates for certain college graduation/ocs graduation-->TBS start dates.

theduke

i'm a Marine SNFO, finishing up API. i got 12.8 hours, including several xc hours, and several night and both simulated and actual instrument hours in NFO IFS. it's not much, but it'll save you a considerable amount of money on your private.

i'm working on my PPL right now (got SCUBA certifiend during weeks 2,3, and 4 of API, then started on the PPL). it's expensive. flying before IFS isn't gonna get you much except requisite hours, which probably won't be a big help anyway. you'll do it all over again in IFS anyway, so just do the first few flights on the gov't dime, keeping records of everything you do in the bird (not just logbook entries...maneuvers and procedures performed and covered).

then go to either the Navy Flying Club at Pensacola Regional, or Ferguson Field out the back gate of the base where most SNFOs live. (Ferguson's rates are kinda high...$74/hour for a 152. instructor is $25/hour, which is prob about right. you can probably wheel and deal yourself about a 5% discount on both if you pay for 5 hours or more upfront (block time).

also, one of the instructors there is a Tomcat RIO by trade. Really good guy, and good instructor.

i picked Ferguson because of its convenience and because i liked the instructor (i will PM you his contact info if you want). Navy Flying Club is a good deal if you're gonna fly a LOT, but i wouldn't fly enough to make it worthwhile...and it's much further away from my house.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
flying before IFS isn't gonna get you much except requisite hours, which probably won't be a big help anyway. you'll do it all over again in IFS anyway,

Even if you don't have a PPL, soloing or getting past a certain point in the PPL syllabus means you don't have to do IFS.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, but I have no qualms with doing IFS. From what I have heard its a nice break from the rigors of TBS.

theduke

You got scuba qualified while at API? interesting...

i thought API was pretty much a borderline vacation...not hard to spend 3 hours, 2 nights/week doing SCUBA stuff. just have to make sure you don't dive within 24 hours of decompression chamber in week 5.

Even if you don't have a PPL, soloing or getting past a certain point in the PPL syllabus means you don't have to do IFS.

i don't doubt it, but that's not the idea here. if you are an NFO, but you want to get your PPL, it will be on your own dime. the idea is to be as cost effective as possible by letting the maximum number of Uncle Sam's dollars go towards your PPL, and the way to do that is to not take lessons until after IFS.

by the way, your few hours of T-6 stick time in primary don't count towards your PPL as of right now, so there's no need to wait until after that. The word on the street is that the FAA my pull their heads out of their asses and fix that in 6 months or so.