• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Privately Owned Harrier....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was after I had left. All JO cross country and for some reason then ended up overhead NFL still at altitude and the young (yet know it all pilot) and a more season ECMO 1 decided that a HAPL A-4 approach was just the ticket to get them to runway.

A 40,000 lb jet, summer day, a couple P408's at idle and Fallon's 3000+ MSL and a (IIRC 8000 foot rapid descent) did not mix well.
Realized too late the descent rate was insane, engines didn't spool up quick enough. They hit hard and as I said, ejected on the bounce lucky for them as the sink rate was high enough that had they gone earlier they were way out of the seat envelope. Jet ended up between the duals with the nose gear collapsed and one motor still running.

This was circa 94 so one of the bubbas with access to the MIR might be able to fill in the details. 15 years of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale may have muddled my memory.

There's a reason it's aircrew error and not pilot error. ECMO 1 should have known as much as the pilot that this was not a good idea and spoken up hence his culpability. Don't know what happened to the pilot and the only reason I knew about the ECMO is I shared an office then with a guy who had done a tour with VXE-6 so had some experience on the pole and he came looking for impressions.

The ECMO in my class did not mention the part about a HAPL, I wonder why. :eek: You were much closer to it so I would rely on your version of why it happened. Thanks for the details.