• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Probe-and-Drogue vs. Boom

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Why does the Air Force use the boom for aerial refueling, and the navy and rotw use the probe-and-drogue?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
raptor10 said:
Why does the Air Force use the boom for aerial refueling, and the navy and rotw use the probe-and-drogue?

Curtis LeMay and SAC, vis-a-vis US Navy initiative and ingenuity.

(A good question, so pardon my flip answer; others will fill you in)

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
The airforce doesn't trust their pilots to plug....

I really think that since we have carrier based refueling platforms we don't really have the option of the drouge system.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The Navy doesnt have a carrier based AC with enough room for a boom operator like the KC's.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It's because the AF has much heavier a/c than the Navy. As such, it's easier to move the probe around than the aircraft than vice versa.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally, the USAF used probe and drogue like rest of the world, but advent of B-47 and B-52 led them to experiment with the boom idea as those aircraft were less maneuverable. Yeager flew some of the first tests and talks about it in his biography. After boom was introduced, the F-105 was equipped to use either method during the transition period.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
There was thread about this somewhere...

ended up deeming that Navy planes are boys and AF planes are girls.:D

But seriously, look around, I remember a thread like that somwhere around here recently.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
raptor10 said:
I know you've been out for a while, (no pun intended) but DADT dude...
What is this predilection for "duding" senior officers lately?

Brett