• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proper Ejection Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
Today the PR running the ejection brief at API and I disagreed over the proper head position for ejecting. He said that you should put your chin into your chest. I thought this was rediculous, as I remember being told to have your head tilted 10 degrees up, which would seem to cause much less neck trauma. Who's right?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Head tilted back about 10 degrees, yes that's correct. Straightens your spine. Putting your head down would be bad.

Maybe he was talking about some sort of impact. During freestyle wrestling (and any contact sport for that matter) we were always taught to tuck our chins to our chest before getting slammed to the matt, it prevents concussions and head trauma from head smacking in the matt. Snowboarders also use this techinque when snowboarding frontside. I have no clue though on what the correct position is for the cockpiut though.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
goosegagnon2 said:
Maybe he was talking about some sort of impact. During freestyle wrestling (and any contact sport for that matter) we were always taught to tuck our chins to our chest before getting slammed to the matt, it prevents concussions and head trauma from head smacking in the matt. Snowboarders also use this techinque when snowboarding frontside. I have no clue though on what the correct position is for the cockpiut though.

Yeah they aren't comparable. Not even close.

I think you put your chin down on PLF though, right? Any API bubbas chime in.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lovebug201 said:
Chin down for PLF (courtsey of Ft Benning)

That's what I though. Thanks.

Welcome to the board, glad to see more and more salty guys on here.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
goosegagnon2 said:
Maybe he was talking about some sort of impact. During freestyle wrestling (and any contact sport for that matter) we were always taught to tuck our chins to our chest before getting slammed to the matt, it prevents concussions and head trauma from head smacking in the matt.

I wouldn't say any contact sport. In football we're taught to keep our heads up at all times. If you drop your head while tackling you can break your neck. Also, you spear the guy you're tackling, which is illegal(And for good reason!). If you're the one being tackled, usually you have two options. If you have the ball, tuck it in with both arms and go along for the ride. If you don't have the ball, make sure your arms don't flail around and go along for the ride. Long story short, keep you head up, and both your eyes and ears open at all times.:D

This piece of trivia has been brought to you by the letter J. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I wouldn't say any contact sport. In football we're taught to keep our heads up at all times. If you drop your head while tackling you can break your neck. Also, you spear the guy you're tackling, which is illegal(And for good reason!). If you're the one being tackled, usually you have two options. If you have the ball, tuck it in with both arms and go along for the ride. If you don't have the ball, make sure your arms don't flail around and go along for the ride. Long story short, keep you head up, and both your eyes and ears open at all times.

I'll take that about football, but if I were a receiver that got hit like John Lynch laid out that one guy last year...or how D. Darius from the Jags popped Fergy from the Packers..I would tuck my chin. Of course no moron that has ever played would tuck their head when tackling, but if I got blind-sided I wouldn't fall recklessly with my head in danger, there is a method to the madness.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Usually, when you get hit and see it coming, your muscles and especially your neck muscles, tense up which stiffens your body. This is one of the reasons we lift a crapload of weights, it keeps us more durable so we can survive harder hits. If you get hit in the back, usually you have a facemask and chin strap to protect your chin; plus the helmet which really helps. Also, at least in my experience, you can usually tell when you're about to get hit in the back. It's a weird kind of sixth sense. You can just feel someone coming up behind you. Also, the hits aren't usually as hard because you are running away from the tackler so there is not as much force, or impulse I forget which, delivered.

Now the real problems come when you get hit from the side. You'll most likely never see it coming, since peripheral vision is severely limited in most old-school helmets. Also, it was traditionally adopted thought that most concussions happened from the front and back so that was where most of the padding is on the old style helmets. But because you never see it coming from the side, you're muscles never tense up, which makes you're head and neck flail around causing injury. Hence Riddell and Schutt, the nation's biggest helmet manufacturers have designed new helmets to help minimize this risk. They're also comfortable as hell.:D

Really? I've always found getting getting hit from the side kinda fun, cause for some odd reason back in the day, aside from the blunt force I would always..seem to..kinda "fly" up and away...haha and could prepare for impact with the hard earth. Interceptions suck though...haha next thing you know everyone is headed the opposite way, and no one is out for the ball carrier..lol I always looked the for the poor ******* standing straight up..and looking at tackling the interceptor. Some dumb OLB or DBs always seem to be the ones who get knocked into the next box of wheaties. I personally think that wrestling is alot tougher sport when it comes to wear and tear on your body, and blunt force, I remeber getting bloody noses all the time from the shear phyiscal nature of the sport.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Yeah, wrestling is pretty rough. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would cut weight as drastically as some of the wrestlers I know do. I just seems so unhealthy. But hey, to each his own.

Me, personally, I love kick-off and kick-off return. It's nothing but guys going out there and drilling eachother into next week. Good times. I can't count how many times I've made some pretty devastating hits on kick return. I remember this one time, me and this MLB hit so hard we both stepped back, looked at eachother, and then sort of stumbled off the field. We were both seeing stars on that one.

Edit: Hey, I have 420 posts! That's my birthday, woohoo!

RipRIO

API is wrong!

As one who has done it - definitely head back, straighten the spine. You'll seriously screw up your neck by having your head down.

Proper position (at least from a tomcat) head up, shoulders back hands down feet flat on the floor. Let the leg restraints do their job and get your hands close to the lower handle to avoid flail injuries. Keep your spine straight.

it's funny - after we punched out my pilot and I were talking about our silent preps as we taxxied to the cat. He always put himself in proper ejection position, I always ran over my IROK procedures. After the ejection we both decided to do both preps aloud as part of our takeoff checklist!

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
RipRIO said:
it's funny - after we punched out my pilot and I were talking about our silent preps as we taxxied to the cat. He always put himself in proper ejection position, I always ran over my IROK procedures. After the ejection we both decided to do both preps aloud as part of our takeoff checklist!

story time?????

Status
Not open for further replies.