• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT in primary and beyond

Southboy

what is typically required on a PRT while you are in primary advanced and FRS and the fleet? Is it a good low in every category or fleet standard? Never been a great runner and got caught a little behind, but what is typically the way it works?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
From NROTC to the fleet, and everywhere in between, a GL has always been good enough. I'd aim for that or better.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
what is typically required on a PRT while you are in primary advanced and FRS and the fleet? Is it a good low in every category or fleet standard? Never been a great runner and got caught a little behind, but what is typically the way it works?
The Navy PFA basically has three grades: pass, fail, and outstanding. Nobody gives a damn otherwise, and the reward for maxing out is the command will try to make you an ACFL.

Failing’s really bad as an officer, so don’t do that. Just score a GL or better and go about your day. Also, the bike is gouge. Harder to max out, but much easier to pass. I don’t know if it’s offered at the Tracom but I’ve never heard of a Fleet unit that didn’t.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Aside from the commissioning source training pipeline (OCS, USNA, NROTC, etc.), as long as you pass with a good low or higher I don't think anyone cares. I've seem some commands have a FEP policy where if someone scores below a good low on a portion of the test (pushups, planks, etc.) they go on FEP, but those appear to be very rare.

Similarly, while alternative cardio (bike, row, swim, etc.) are CO's discretion, I don't think I ever seen a CO refuse alternative cardio for sailors during the PRT.

For wellbeing, health, etc. I would still suggest you PT/work out regularly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From NROTC to the fleet, and everywhere in between, a GL has always been good enough. I'd aim for that or better.

With the exception of the indoc PRT at flight school. I'm not sure if it's still a thing for kNIFE, but for API, the cutoff was the 17-19 year old standards (or whatever that window may have changed to as time went on).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the exception of the indoc PRT at flight school. I'm not sure if it's still a thing for kNIFE, but for API, the cutoff was the 17-19 year old standards (or whatever that window may have changed to as time went on).
Are you talking about the infamous chip trail? FWIW, that wasn’t an “official” PFA, more of a “notice that your khakis got a little tight while you were in A-Pool?” wake-up call. Still bad to fail, still a pink sheet, but the results stayed within NASC.

I know they were talking about discontinuing it at one point a while back. Admin hassle and too many twisted ankles. Don’t know what the current status is.

Southboy

Are you talking about the infamous chip trail? FWIW, that wasn’t an “official” PFA, more of a “notice that your khakis got a little tight while you were in A-Pool?” wake-up call. Still bad to fail, still a pink sheet, but the results stayed within NASC.

I know they were talking about discontinuing it at one point a while back. Admin hassle and too many twisted ankles. Don’t know what the current status is.
Oh yea they discontinued the chip trail, it’s now run on the track. I’m speaking more so on when your done with NIFE and in primary or advanced? It seems like it’s still good low in every category, and if not it’s a fail

tcham28

None
Oh yea they discontinued the chip trail, it’s now run on the track. I’m speaking more so on when your done with NIFE and in primary or advanced? It seems like it’s still good low in every category, and if not it’s a fail
After NIFE it’s just fleet standard passing

Dhoop29

None
The Navy PFA basically has three grades: pass, fail, and outstanding. Nobody gives a damn otherwise, and the reward for maxing out is the command will try to make you an ACFL.

Failing’s really bad as an officer, so don’t do that. Just score a GL or better and go about your day. Also, the bike is gouge. Harder to max out, but much easier to pass. I don’t know if it’s offered at the Tracom but I’ve never heard of a Fleet unit that didn’t.
Second skipper at my JO command required all members to execute the run unless they had a medical waiver recommending alternate cardio.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Second skipper at my JO command required all members to execute the run unless they had a medical waiver recommending alternate cardio.
Lame, alternative cardio should always be an option if it’s available imo.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
In the late 70's, Houston Oilers head coach Bum Phillips was asked by reporters to comment on reports that his Hall of Fame running back, Earl Campbell, couldn't complete the 1-mile fitness run upon reporting to preseason camp.

"If it's 3rd-and mile, we just won't give it to him." 😆

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
IIRC, the VT’s and TW’s I’ve been a part of as a student and IP required the studs to run it unless they had a waiver for the alternate methods. It may vary from wing to wing but I’d expect to run it until you get to the fleet, ymmv