• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quality Spread???

angelbee13

So what does "quality spread" really mean? Does it mean that I should buy a house in (insert location) to guarantee I get to go there? Seems that luck of the draw, or personal issues are more important than actual grades when determining where and what you fly...

navy09

None
I'm not in the know but I always thought it was meant (roughly) #1 gets his choice, #2 can be forced to go where they need him, #3 gets his choice, #4 goes where they need him, etc.

My understanding is that it's done to avoid sending all the shitbags to helo squadrons while VFA squadrons got every stud that came through Primary.

Crazy8

It might look a little strange to buy a house in Kingsville if you are at primary in Milton. I'm not sure if the quality spread is applied differently based upon need or if they keep it shrouded in secrecy to prevent people from trying to game it. On the bright side, my sense is that there is a lot of diversity in people's platforms of choice right now. More people than I expected want P-3's or helos, and that is good for everyone.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yes you should definitely buy a house in Krock and tell them that you need to go there :) See how awesomely that goes for you

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
So what does "quality spread" really mean? Does it mean that I should buy a house in (insert location) to guarantee I get to go there? Seems that luck of the draw, or personal issues are more important than actual grades when determining where and what you fly...

Buying a house somewhere is going to have zero (none, nada, zilch) effect on what you get and where they send you. Quality spread just a way they ensure all the shit-hots don't end up in one community and all the dip-shits end up in another. We are only as good as our weakest link. That's why no matter where you go there's going to be 20% that are pure badasses, 20% that are always behind the power curve, and 60% that work hard and get the job done. If you end up looking around and can't figure out who's in that bottom 20%, guess what! It's you.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

Quite possibly one of the most ignorant posts I've seen on this board. Just saying . . .:icon_flir (Note: I just did that emoticon because I find it hilarious)

angelbee13

Quite possibly one of the most ignorant posts I've seen on this board. Just saying . . .:icon_flir (Note: I just did that emoticon because I find it hilarious)
when studs with lower than average grades get a "top choice" billet because of personal issues rather than grades then it undermines all the hard work you did to do well and get what you wanted out of advanced...

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
when studs with lower than average grades get a "top choice" billet because of personal issues rather than grades then it undermines all the hard work you did to do well and get what you wanted out of advanced...

Well, here's a question for you. How do you know what their average grades were? Did you see for yourself what their NSS's were? Or are you going by word of mouth. It doesn't undermine any of the hard work. Knowing that you can only effect one aspect of selection should be enough. Do as well as you can, and put down what you want. It really is that simple. Me, I'm going to put Japan as my last option, will I be pissed if I get it? Nope, because when I joined the Navy, it wasn't all about me. Understand that what you want is only a request, and look to my avatar for your answer on the 'quality spread.'

Edit: Looking at your profile, none of this should be a surprise, you've seen things like EFM and whatever else already effect what happens to the people you've worked with. Simply because it's advanced won't change any of that.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Au Contraire...

Spreading the talent equally among the various communities is in NO WAY a "personal issue"! As always, the needs of the Navy far outweighs the wants of the few. Your hard work and good grades are not undermined (except in your own mind). They probably afford you a slight edge for survival in a very dangerous business.:eek:
BzB

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

It means you need solid performers everywhere. You're probably looking too much into coincidences. If not, the guy (or girl) who finishes first gets there top choice...

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot

Got an example of a stud with lower grades getting "top choice" solely because of his personal issues?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Dude, I have no idea what your story here is but it sure seems like you have an axe to grind. I'd just throw out there that it really isn't worth getting pissed off over the perceived good deal that somebody else got. Trust me when I say that you are not the only one who knows folks who got what they wanted through less than honest hardworking means. More than your hard work, a lot of luck and timing goes into your selection, and I'd say it sounds like luck and timing helped someone else out this time.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The ONLY thing that I'll corroborate in the OP, is that personal issues (oh, my wife is going to school in SD, so I need to go there) DO come up for fleet selections/RAG selections out of advanced. I personally saw many folks get SD/Norfolk over other people who seemingly did a bit better because they had a Wife/fiancee/cousin/dog in socal/VA and needed to be there. I can understand a "child with special needs" who needs certain care at a certain location, but even still... I think if a person does well, and wants a location, they should get first dibs over someone else who didn't do as well and not because their wife is currently living somewhere. You may say "needs of the Navy. You knew when you signed up that you can't always get what you want", and to that I say, sure. I know. That's why I never bitched to the commodore or skipper or whoever would listen about how it's "unfair", and plus I was happy with my selection :).

But I would also say that the married folks shouldn't get an unfair advantage to be stationed with their wives/family simply because they HAVE one. Same deal. They knew when they signed up the needs of the Navy dictate where they go. So if they get stationed away from family, then they have to deal. It's almost like the Navy is trying to give us incentive and push us into certain lifestyles.... marriage good (BAH, station accomodations etc), alcohol bad (endless briefs about alcohol, "alcohol related incidents" = ticket for jaywalking while LOOKING at an alcohol ad)

As for selection for primary locations or advanced locations? Yeah... buy a house where you want to go... you'll likely be renting it out. That has absolutely NO bearing on future selection.

/sarcasm end

EDIT: Looking at your profile, you're an advanced Helo guy, so your post may have been asking about EXACTLY what I stated above, so in that case... you are probably right and saw a few things I saw around selection time.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The ONLY thing that I'll corroborate in the OP, is that personal issues (oh, my wife is going to school in SD, so I need to go there) DO come up for fleet selections/RAG selections out of advanced. I personally saw many folks get SD/Norfolk over other people who seemingly did a bit better because they had a Wife/fiancee/cousin/dog in socal/VA and needed to be there. I can understand a "child with special needs" who needs certain care at a certain location, but even still... I think if a person does well, and wants a location, they should get first dibs over someone else who didn't do as well and not because their wife is currently living somewhere. You may say "needs of the Navy. You knew when you signed up that you can't always get what you want", and to that I say, sure. I know. That's why I never bitched to the commodore or skipper or whoever would listen about how it's "unfair", and plus I was happy with my selection :).

I think I selected about 6 months after you, and we were flat out told don't even think of writing the "my spouse is...." on your selection sheet unless that spouse is active duty. That and special needs family member were the only personal issues they would consider. Maybe Marine stucon had a different set of rules.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think I selected about 6 months after you, and we were flat out told don't even think of writing the "my spouse is...." on your selection sheet unless that spouse is active duty. That and special needs family member were the only personal issues they would consider. Maybe Marine stucon had a different set of rules.

Could be they briefed you guys as a direct result of the things I talked about above. Don't get me wrong, I've been wrong many times, certainly a few of them on this website :D, BUT, I can't help what I saw. Lots of folks getting a location others wanted, with a lesser performance record, and mysteriously a fiancee or wife or family living in the place they wanted to get.

To me, it's all moot, but I figured I'd at least try to corroborate the OP since everyone was piling on him talking about primary/advanced selections, and I don't think that's what he was asking about.