• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quality Spread???

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
when studs with lower than average grades get a "top choice" billet because of personal issues rather than grades then it undermines all the hard work you did to do well and get what you wanted out of advanced...

Unless you are the #1 guy and on the the Commodores it's all a game of chance. Even then nothing is set in stone.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Me, I'm going to put Japan as my last option, will I be pissed if I get it? Nope

Some friendly advice on selection (and you have a good way of looking at it). I did the same thing way back and looking back/knowing what I know now/whatever I would have took a harder look at how I ranked my choices. Play devil's advocate with your own thought process and look at platform vs location the other way. Plus even though you can live abroad anytime during your life here's a freebie pretty early on and those three years will be done in a blink. Just sayin'...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Some friendly advice on selection (and you have a good way of looking at it). I did the same thing way back and looking back/knowing what I know now/whatever I would have took a harder look at how I ranked my choices. Play devil's advocate with your own thought process and look at platform vs location the other way. Plus even though you can live abroad anytime during your life here's a freebie pretty early on and those three years will be done in a blink. Just sayin'...

Since he's a prior FC1, I'm gonna go ahead and say he probably knows about being overseas and has had his romp. If he wants to NOT be in Japan, I think he knows the implications of going or not going there. ;)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
So what does "quality spread" really mean? Does it mean that I should buy a house in (insert location) to guarantee I get to go there? Seems that luck of the draw, or personal issues are more important than actual grades when determining where and what you fly...

Did you/are you going to finish first in your winging class?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Since he's a prior FC1, I'm gonna go ahead and say he probably knows about being overseas and has had his romp. If he wants to NOT be in Japan, I think he knows the implications of going or not going there. ;)

Doh!! Thanks. Well maybe somebody else will read it :)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

I understand what you're saying. However, I've already spent two years over in the good land of Nippon, and just want to check out the east coast and Europe. To be honest, I look at the places that are available for the helo community, and wouldn't be upset with any of them.

There are certain things you have to learn to accept and realize that you have no control with regard to the outcome. Selection/duty station is definitely one of those things.

If you need to bitch and whine about not getting what you wanted...feel free. Take a day, get drunk, cry all you want, and then move on.

Needs of the Navy my friend...it's a fact of life.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
But I would also say that the married folks shouldn't get an unfair advantage to be stationed with their wives/family simply because they HAVE one.

Unfortunately, you need to get used to this. I was single all through my fleet tour and married people seemed to get good deals much more often than us single guys. It used to infuriate me.

One time in Australia, I tried to take some leave during an extended port visit. I had my watches covered, liberty buddy, everything settled. When I took my chit to the XO he point blank asked me, "You don't have a wife flying in, do you? Those are the only people that we are giving leave to." No shit.

Now, I think I did my share of single guy "sucking it up" while I was there. I always took the Thanksgiving watch (4 years in a row dating back to the RAG) and understood when the guys with kids had something going on and covered for them. But, when I wanted a little something in return....denied.

When I got married I promised I would never use family as an excuse, but I was on shore duty by then, so it never was an issue.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
If you need to bitch and whine about not getting what you wanted...feel free. Take a day, get drunk, cry all you want, and then move on.

An evening in New Orleans and a stripper that must have been extremely broke helped me get over it when I got selected for Hawkeyes.

Strippers and booze: The cause of, and cure to, all of life's problems.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I think I selected about 6 months after you, and we were flat out told don't even think of writing the "my spouse is...." on your selection sheet unless that spouse is active duty. That and special needs family member were the only personal issues they would consider. Maybe Marine stucon had a different set of rules.

I was told the exact same thing a few months ago. By a Marine StuCon Officer.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Unless you are the #1 guy and on the the Commodores it's all a game of chance. Even then nothing is set in stone.

Says the... oh nevermind :)

And WRT the "policies" of what you put down on the selection sheet, I may have had an inadvertent hand in that. I was encouraged by my Navy StuCon-O to put down anything I had pressing on my selection sheet. I was trying to get West (preferably for the FRS, too) so I could be close to my for-two-more-weeks-fiancee, who was, in a similar situation, contractually obliged to work in SoCal. Under his advice, I put that info down on the sheet. When I got HSL-W (via Mayport), I went in and talked to my StuCon-O to see if there was anything else I could do, seeing as he was very optimistic prior to selection about me being able to get out there. I was obviously not happy about not getting the spot, but I wasn't crying foul or unfair.

Later that week, the Marine StuCon-O, who must've been in the room while I had the talk w/ my StuCon-O, decided to use in an all-students meeting very very specific excerpts from my situation while impressing the fact that it doesn't mean shit unless your spouse is mil. I have private opinions on the professionalism of publicizing specific personal stories of those in your purview to make a point.

Here's how "Quality Spread" was explained to me. Amongst the folks who wanted the two West Coast spots, I was second-ranked. 1st got it, obviously, and someone other than me got the other one.

To sum up my quality spread experience: I was not happy and wasn't going to lie about it. Did it make things more difficult for me & Mrs Beans? Oh hell yeah. Like everyone else (except for the rare few who DOR upon not getting what they want), we got over it.

And don't buy a house to force yourself somewhere. That's only worked for those in the FRS who are already selected to go to this-or-that duty station, and the house ownership tends to keep them from losing that preassigned duty station.