• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about accepting your commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

llub5

I just had an argument with my mom about waiting until after I finish school to apply for OCS, because she's hoping this is just a phase and I'll find something else to do. That’s not my plan, but she won't shut up. I'm going to apply for OCS regardless, but I could use some help here. Is it possible to refuse your commission when you graduate from college? Would you owe any time. I'm sure you would owe any money you've accepted. I have NO INTENTION OF DOING THIS, but if the answer is yes it will get my mom off my back a little bit. I would like to repeat...I am fully committed to becoming a Marine, and have no intention of refusing a commission assuming I make it through OCS. Thanks for the help.

perchul

Well once you get through OCS your committed from the way my contract reads. My contract states I can leave after week 4 of OCS if I choose, but as long as graduate from OCS my butt is pretty much thiers

Tolerance only benefits the weak

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Perchul is OCC though. PLC'ers can leave up to week 4 (or whenever it is) and drop out then. If you can make it through OCS you still have to graduate college. Upon college graduation, this is when YOU decide whether or not to accept your commission. So to answer your question; if you're going the PLC route, then Yes you can decline your commission. If you are going OCC then you've already graduated college and you are theirs if you don't DOR during OCS. Hope this helps.

"There were many airplanes, but it was the skinny bird that scared us the most."
- Iraqi POW on the AH-1W Cobra -

Curmudgeon

That is the PLC advantage. You are not committed until you graduate college and choose to be commissioned. The pay you get during PLC doesn't commit you to anything. BUT ... if you take other Marine financial aid for college (including the civilian flight training for aviation candidates), you will be commited to either serve or pay it back. There are some pretty good programs for tuition assistance if you have completed some or all of PLC.

The Navy has BDCP, which pays you to go to college. That one definitely comes with strings attached. See the BDCP topic for more info.

chelu55

Has anyone heard or is it possible to have a contract with the military so one can be discharged from their particular branch if he/she is considered disqualified because of API physical? Worried about the "NAMI WAMMY"

Taxman2A

War were declared.
llub- if you go PLC, (which I did), you first complete OCS, and then you actually have to apply for commission around 40 days before you graduate. I remember when I joined PLC I figured that you could refuse your commission, but to do so would result in tons of paperwork and a lecture about how I should accept my commission. This is not the case. Just graduate from OCS, and months later when your OSO calls asking you whether or not you want your commission, just say you don't think it's for you. Despite the stereotype of military recruiters, your OSO will be quite content to not commission someone who doesn't think the Marine Corps is for them.

I'm telling you this not because I think you are interested in dropping out after OCS, but just so you can explain to your mom how easy it is to leave the Marine Corps after OCS.

The OCC option does not allow you to complete OCS and then accept your commission as Perchul mentioned.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by chelu55
Has anyone heard or is it possible to have a contract with the military so one can be discharged from their particular branch if he/she is considered disqualified because of API physical? Worried about the "NAMI WAMMY"

no.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I doubt it... I would suggest convincing your Mom to talk with the OSO. You will be very surprised at how much this can help.

If she refuses to listen to what he tells her, then she will probably also refuse to believe what she reads that you give her. Let him answer all of her questions regarding the Marine Corps and Officer Candidate School. Moms like yours are not all that rare, and this being the case, your OSO has been trained and is prepared to answer her questions.

farkle84

all moms or most moms are afraid of the training and the stuff you have to do. my mom was the same way. but you have to do what you want. parents shouldnt change your mind set on becoming what you want. so if your heart is set on becoming a Marine, do it, with all your heart. good luck to all those going to OCS.

taxman, congrats on becoming a 2nd Lt. we are in the same boat now, waiting for TBS. Semper Fi

AllenAzali

I have a really good friend who denied his commission after PLC.

My recruiter said it IS possible to return to civilan life for those who wash out of flight school. I personally would't recommend it, because every OSO will tell you...you have to want to be a Marine first.

Signed, Matt

Sammie

As of right now, you will get another MOS if you fail out of flight school. And Marines can not switch to helos or props after failing out of jet training, unlike the Navy.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
you don't have to accept your commission when you graduate from occ.. i know of a guy that went ahead and finished occ even though he knew he wasn't going to accept his commission because he didn't want to be a quitter. also, completion of a leadership course like that looks good on a resume.

Wunrunner

i have a question about the PLC program...i went to my local recruiter today and they told me to do PLC, i have to first enlist in the Marine Reserves and then apply for PLC, does this have any truth to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.