• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about accession programs and designators

RiseR 25

But you can always apply again if your first try doesn't work out...

Agreed, I was primarily concerned because the civilian job market is not so good right now. I'm fairly confident I'll get picked up as long as the board takes my ASTBs into high consideration.

LET73

Funny that SWO(C) have so many leave while SWO(N) have too many that try to stay, so much so they have been creating billets for those on their 2nd nuke sea tour.
That's interesting, I actually had no idea that many nuke SWOs stayed in. My impression was that most of them got out, but maybe that was just one incredibly dysfunctional Reactor Department. Is this just over the last few years?

exNavyOffRec

It has always "appeared" they need people to stay, but that is because retention is important to the Department Head, I had one 2nd sea tour nuke officer explain it to me, the standard was each carrier had REA and MPA as SWO N these are 2nd nuke sea tour spots, and the LDO's had CRA and RMA spots, if you look at the DIVO's for SWO N it would be about 10-12 give or take, so there were 10-12 to feed into 2, now some carriers have the CRA as SWO N to give more opportunity, and some have split the REA into RCA and REA as well when needed.

One LT I knew was told by his DH that the USN needed him to stay, the detailer was doing a ship visit and the detailer told him flat out, "I don't know what your DH has told you, we don't need people to stay, we have enough, if you want to stay you take what I give you", another had orders changed, the detailer said, "don't like it, put in your letter, we have met our numbers"