• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Life on the Boat

Ace_Austin

pilot
I've always been curious, when a CVN goes to GQ, what do the Pilots/NFOs do? I've seen some comics that imply the sit around and do nothing but figured I'd ask.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always been curious, when a CVN goes to GQ, what do the Pilots/NFOs do? I've seen some comics that imply the sit around and do nothing but figured I'd ask.

That's about the size of it.

Brett

robav8r

None
Contributor
As a member of the Airwing you will typically muster in your assigned GQ station - for most, this is the Ready Room. In reality, you will do your best to stay out of the way of everyone trying to deal with whatever the hell caused the GQ in the first place (read: go to your stateroom, DO NOT answer the door when the fire investigators start their sweep of the living spaces, and then commence playing HALO or take a nooner). If you are ships company, you won't be so lucky. Depending on your job, you will ensure the troops are at their GQ station, and the appropriate Damage Control Lockers, fire hose stations, etc are manned, and ready to fight whatever the hell casualty needs to be delt with.

hscs

pilot
I get a sudden urge to piss in my sink and then take a nap when I hear the GQ alarm.

MasterBates

Small Boy GQ is similar.. If it is a known drill, and you have crew rest. Hide, stay in stateroom. One of the pilots not crew resting will stick his head in to "muster" you.

If its the middle of the day.. Go to the hangar and play cards.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're a COD guy and stuck on the ship during GQ, usually transit or SDO day, run and hide. Your stateroom will usually do just fine. On the Connie, back at VAW-30, it was not so fun in the Gulf during the summer. The air would always shut off in our 6 man and believe me, every COD guy would be in that room during GQ and it got pretty hot and stinky :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The air would always shut off in our 6 man and believe me, every COD guy would be in that room during GQ and it got pretty hot and stinky :)

Tough life...try it in an FFE and OBA or Scott pack...:D

Ace_Austin

pilot
That sounds about like the Gulf ( of Mexico) my freshman training cruise. We'd suit up with full turnout gear, run a drill and lose 5lbs of water weight in the processs.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

One item that doesn't play well to the ship's company crowd on a CV: When you are in your bunkroom or stateroom taking a nap during GQ drills, don't stick your head outside and ask them to hold the noise down since it is disrupting your sleep.

Actually, if you've ever wanted to visit the CO on the bridge or the CV XO in his stateroom, it's a great idea. I know.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
One item that doesn't play well to the ship's company crowd on a CV: When you are in your bunkroom or stateroom taking a nap during GQ drills, don't stick your head outside and ask them to hold the noise down since it is disrupting your sleep.

Actually, if you've ever wanted to visit the CO on the bridge or the CV XO in his stateroom, it's a great idea. I know.

At the time, it sure seemed like a funny thing to say to the black shoes. Maybe it was the "hey, you guys look pretty funny with your pants tucked into your socks, but can you hold the noise down a bit? I'm trying to sleep."

Ah, the stupidity of answering a dare by your bunkroom buddies. But as you will learn, "buddy" is only half of the word.

Ace_Austin

pilot
I'd probly knock the fool out who stuck his head out while I was sweating my sack off in bunker gear and asked me to be quiet.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Lets see, visit the bridge during GQ or sleep in my bunk.......thats a tough one but I think sleep in my bunk is the answer....everytime.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And for those yet to experience it (Training GQ):

Going to stateroom means laying low...not trips to head and certainly not time to take a shower...you will get a trip to see someone for that, too

Staying in the Ready Room means playing along...if the GQ includes gas masks...you need to to have yours on. Standby for visits to Ready Room to check as "they" know aviators are irreverent and may decide to throw the ResuciAnnie into the Ready Room and closest aviators have to demonstrate their lifesaving skills/first aid.

Of course, if you liked Fire Fighting School...ship's company can always use another hand on the fire hoses provided that you are attired properly.

Note: The ship typically schedules GQ so you need to plan ahead as once they lock it down, there's no breaking hatch integrity allowed. Best place to be...in the air