• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Life on the Boat

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Funniest GQ ever ended up a HSL nightmare. Aircrew was chiling out in the barn while fireman schmuckatelli hit the wrong switch. The switch started the AFFF system in the hangar. Both of the birds were in there. By the time I got there (I was on cstt and able to go anywhere i felt like as long as I had a training purpose) it looked like 2 to 3 feet of snow had fallen in the hangar. Hilarious on this end, not so much for the aircrew.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
And for those yet to experience it (Training GQ):

Going to stateroom means laying low...not trips to head and certainly not time to take a shower...you will get a trip to see someone for that, too

Staying in the Ready Room means playing along...if the GQ includes gas masks...you need to to have yours on. Standby for visits to Ready Room to check as "they" know aviators are irreverent and may decide to throw the ResuciAnnie into the Ready Room and closest aviators have to demonstrate their lifesaving skills/first aid.

Of course, if you liked Fire Fighting School...ship's company can always use another hand on the fire hoses provided that you are attired properly.

Note: The ship typically schedules GQ so you need to plan ahead as once they lock it down, there's no breaking hatch integrity allowed. Best place to be...in the air

STAND BY FOR FLOPPERS IN THE READY ROOM

OR MAYBE THE DREADED SUCKING CHEST WOUND

ADVICE: SEEK DEEP SHELTER; MAKE GOOD USE OF YOUR KHAKI PAJAMAS!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GQ for the Air Wing back-in-the-day meant go to your stateroom and sleep or eat cheese & crackers .... unless you had the duty.

Once we went to abandon ship stations --- no shit --- on the Kitty Hawk --- night/engine room explosions/list/dead in the water --- I went to the LSO platform as I could get some extra flotation belts. Bad night.

And then there were the race riots --- go to your stateroom and if anyone kicked in your stateroom door --- it was a Colt .45 free fire zone.

Also, no shit .... :)

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Race riots?

What were those?

Thanks to those race riots, squadrons had to designate an officer to be the HR officer and hold monthly race relations and human relations meetings in the ready room. As a FNG, I got tagged as soon as I checked aboard.

What I learned from it, besides being the FNG sucks? Race issues were minimized when we had clean beds, clean heads, decent food and you got your own skivvies back from the laundry.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Race riots?

What were those?

Not one of the prouder moments in naval history - there were serious incidents on both the KITTY HAWK and CONSTELLATION back in 1972.

"Immediately following air operations aboard the Kitty Hawk on the evening of October 12, 1972, a series of incidents broke out wherein group of blacks, armed with chains, wrenches, bars, broomsticks and other dangerous weapons, went marauding through sections of the ship disobeying orders to cease, terrorizing the crew, and seeking out white personnel for senseless beating with fists and with weapons which resulted in extremely serious injury to three men and the medical treatment of many more, including some blacks. While engaged in this conduct some were heard to shout, "Kill the son-of-a-bitch; kill the white trash; wipe him out!" Others shouted, "They are killing our brothers."

Aboard the U.S.S. Constellation, during the period of November 3-4, 1972, what has been charitably described as "unrest" and as "sit-in" took place while the ship was underway for training exercises. The vast majority of the dissident sailors were black and were allegedly protesting several grievances they claimed were in need of correction.

These sailors were off-loaded as part of a "beach detachment", given liberty, refused to return to the ship, and were later processed only for this minor disciplinary infraction (6 hours of unauthorized absence) at Naval Air Station, North Island, near San Diego.

Because of inherent seriousness of these incidents, the Honorable F. Edward Hébert, chairman, House Armed Service Committee, considered it necessary to appoint this special subcommittee on November 13, 1972, to inquire at once into disciplinary problems in the U.S. Navy with particular reference to "alleged racial and disciplinary problems which occurred recently on the aircraft carriers U.S.S. Kitty Hawk and U.S.S. Constellation."

A good summary of the incidents can be found here: http://www.history.navy.mil/library/special/racial_incidents.htm

MasterBates

I consider myself educated..

A4s,

They let you keep your sidarms in your stateroom? Or was this just the firearms equivalent of "NATOPS is not a subsitute for sound judgement"?

MasterBates

So true.. The SWOs that lived with me did not enjoy the pilot's take on what else the sink can be used for..

(YES, I rinsed it you sick bastards..)

Lawman

None
They let you keep your sidarms in your stateroom? Or was this just the firearms equivalent of "NATOPS is not a subsitute for sound judgement"?

This got brought up in one of the firearms threads about 2 years ago. Something along the lines of how things have changed in the way of an officers personal sidearm back in A4's time vs the currant checking out process as described by Skidkid.

MasterBates

Yeah, first cruise, they made all the pilots live with SWOs. No more than 1 pilot per stateroom..

Second cruise, they knew better, and put all 4 JO pilots in the 6-Man with the DAF exchange officer and the AW-LDO from the Admirals staff..

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
This got brought up in one of the firearms threads about 2 years ago. Something along the lines of how things have changed in the way of an officers personal sidearm back in A4's time vs the currant checking out process as described by Skidkid.

I can't speak for the years beyond, but we kept personal firearms in our bunkroom/stateroom con lockers through 1986. The ship issued 45's were kept in the carrier's armory, but we could get a waiver to keep a personal firearm (assuming we intended to substitute it for a carrier issued 45 on a combat mission) in our locker.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During DS/DS, I kept my Glock 19 and ammo hidden in my u-trou drawer in my stateroom until we got to the AOR. Then we brought them to the RR to fly with them.

We got to fly with our own weapons until the ship's armorers saw we all had Black Talon and hollow point ammo when we were forced to lock them up during a port visit...oops...

What Geneva Convention ammo rules...I am an aviator for crying out loud...he's trying to kill me and vice-versa...

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
During DS/DS, I kept my Glock 19 and ammo hidden in my u-trou drawer in my stateroom until we got to the AOR. Then we brought them to the RR to fly with them.

We got to fly with our own weapons until the ship's armorers saw we all had Black Talon and hollow point ammo when we were forced to lock them up during a port visit...oops...

What Geneva Convention ammo rules...I am an aviator for crying out loud...he's trying to kill me and vice-versa...

AMEN TO THAT!