• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Never Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKO

I am a SNA about to start IFS and I have never flown before, and was curious as to what would happen in the case that I discover that flying is not for me. Please, I don't want to hear that I should have thought of that before I signed up to be an SNA. None of that will do me any good, I just want to know what my options would be. I don't want to get out of the Navy if that were to happen, but if flying just does not suit me what would happen to me next? I would appreciate any information or experiences anyone could share with me.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Don't listen to him....
It seems to be a crap shoot over the last year... for a little while guys who attrited (DOR's included) were sent packing, then for a bit guys were being allowed to redesignate again, and then here and there you hear of guys being asked to leave.

What I reccomend is going into it with the mind set that it is for you no doubt about it... reason being Flight school is fun but it can suck ass at times, and if you are having a rough time at some point and thinking that maybe this was not for you, you may choose to DOR and regret it later. Also that way you do not have to worry as to wether or not the navy will retain you.

Don't worry, just see what happens.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Remember that the whole reason the Navy has IFS is to weed out the guys who suddenly get in a plane and realize that flying isnt for them. I was told by the people who run it that IFS has a 5% attrition rate. That seems kind of high, but I guess its plausible. And last I heard if you attrite out of IFS you get sent home.

thumper

We had one guy attrite from our IFS class (of about 12 people). He figured out it was not his thing and quit. I wasn't sure, either. I found, however, that even after a bad flight, the second I was on the ground I wanted to go back up.

goldwingdreams

One real easy way to remedy your dilema...

Get some stick time and find out for yourself. That way you'll know and then you won't have any lame excuse when the day comes.

Personally, I always knew but actually going out and getting hours made me realise that I LOVE it and wouldn't trade flying for all the coin on the world.

....unless of course all that coin could buy me my very own CVN and F/A-18.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Dont listen to the to cool for the pool *******s who get a chub from flaming on the new guys......Your first couple of flights at IFS will probably overwhelm you....just stick with it. You will become more comfortable in the cockpit as time goes on. Before IFS is over you will love flying!!! Wait till IFS is over to even contemplate DOR....just my .02

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I would suggest actually waiting until after you have soloed (in Primary) before you give it up. Give it a chance. Either way... good luck.

boilersmack

E-6 Driver
I had a buddy find out flying wasn't for him during IFS and he was able to transfer to the submarine community. But if you have a choice of where to do IFS do it at Destin. George is a pretty cool guy.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
A lot of good advice here. If you can't see yourself with wings on your chest, then get out and let someone else have a chance, redes or boot not withstanding. Too many people who truly want this opportunity are not being given it nowadays, and it's not fair for you to take away one of their slots if you are unsure.

If you think its gonna be all about fun and glory, get out now. It's gonna suck most of the time till you earn those wings, but the fun times you do have, few they may be, is enough to drive anyone who really wants it to keep pressing onward.

What I would offer is: Ask your CFI on your first flight to take you up high (which probably only means up to like 6500 feet) and just look around for a minute or two, and while you are, think about how much you can see and how much more there is beyond that. Aviation is the only job in the world where you will be able to realize sights and accomplishments most people can only dream about.

PS: Boilersmack, heading to Tinker I see, which flight are you in?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
boilersmack said:
I had a buddy find out flying wasn't for him during IFS and he was able to transfer to the submarine community. But if you have a choice of where to do IFS do it at Destin. George is a pretty cool guy.

George Rules!

beau

Yeah, I would look deep inside in you're gut and really ask yourself what you're dream in life is........

I just finished flying a couple of hours ago in a T-34. Watching the sun go down and bounce around at 500ft, then up into the high working area practicing some stalls, then a spin, then dropping out of the area at 250kts back to 500ft working the low areas..........man I waited for this for a long time!! what a flight ..........quite possibly the best flight I've ever had......

This is my dream, and I'm living it right now! If i were you, I would get some hours at some airport, get comfortable with the area and the plane. Once you are comfortable flying, ask yourself how much fun are you are having.....if you can honestly say you would love to do this everyday, and be able to learn to lead people, and most importantly serve your country! I would say go for it man........the road is long and but I think it is worth every penny!! remember look at the BIG PICTURE!

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I was the same way when I went to flight school. Had never been in a plane but figured what the hell, I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work out, there are plenty of other fun things to do in the military while you serve your country. If you've got the shot, take it and see how it works out.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
I can tell you that I did not know for sure till my first flight in a Helo (advanced), that this is truely something I wanted to do for the res of my career. But I love it to death now and cant even imagine doing anything else....hell I was an aircrewman and still wasnt sure about the whole being in control of the aircraft thing.......

You can want it more than anything in the world, then get into the bird and realize....wtf was I thinking....bottom line you will never know till you try, lots of people have had the same "doubts" before flight school......its normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.