• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for the E-2 guys

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Probably just a squadron thing.

If it was pink, they might have gotten tagged.

HuggyU2

None
I saw one of those do a demo at the Little Rock airshow last year. Man, it was a great demo! That dude kept it a tree top height. Wasn't expecting it.

Nose

pilot
Those are Prop Guards - used to protect the prop tips (from what, I don't know) and to remind you the feel uncomfortable any time you are near the prop. We don't want anyone feeling comfortable there.

The prop tips are painted with a white stripe on a red background. Two reasons:
1. So you can see that thing when it is spinning. The new 8 bladed props are very very quiet, which is good if you are in the plane, but does take away a measure of safety.
2. To protect the prop tips from erosion from dust and grit thrown up on rollout when the thrust is reversed. The AD's (Engine Mechanics) can tell when a prop tip needs to be reconditioned by how much paint is gone.

Wonder if that is a crane-on or a crane off? CVW-5 guys, is that normal or does VAW-115 Maintenance have some 'splinen to do?

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I saw one of those do a demo at the Little Rock airshow last year. Man, it was a great demo! That dude kept it a tree top height. Wasn't expecting it.

I helped plan an airshow where the E-2 was supposed to come down. I was expecting them as a static display because:
a) it was the E-2
b) I had heard that their dynamic act had been banned due to them going below 100' two years ago
Apparently, I never communicated that to the squadron, because they were expecting to come down as one of the dynamic acts, and the level of disappointment when they found out they weren't scheduled was incredible. "But our pilots have been practicing for weeks! Can we do a fly-by at least???"
Surprisingly, they were way more into performing than the Hornet and Strike Eagle demo teams.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Those are Prop Guards - used to protect the prop tips (from what, I don't know) and to remind you the feel uncomfortable any time you are near the prop. We don't want anyone feeling comfortable there.

The prop tips are painted with a white stripe on a red background. Two reasons:
1. So you can see that thing when it is spinning. The new 8 bladed props are very very quiet, which is good if you are in the plane, but does take away a measure of safety.
2. To protect the prop tips from erosion from dust and grit thrown up on rollout when the thrust is reversed. The AD's (Engine Mechanics) can tell when a prop tip needs to be reconditioned by how much paint is gone.

Wonder if that is a crane-on or a crane off? CVW-5 guys, is that normal or does VAW-115 Maintenance have some 'splinen to do?

I was a CVW-5 guy for 3 years with VRC-30 Det 5, as a mech aircrewman (so I have conditioned my fair share od prop tips). But just wanted to say that in my 3 years over there I never saw a plane get craned on or off the Kitty Hawk, so I think is is safe to conclude that VAW-115 maintenance has some 'splinen to do

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oooooh, a crane-off. Indignity. The MO is probably standing just out of frame grinding his teeth.

Re: the prop tip markings. More than one poor bastard has walked into the props, especially at night. Not the sound so much as just being really hard to see and folks are working really close to them anyway (final checkers, chock & chain, etc). If you're tired and out of it, bad scene. The idea of putting some sort of light or electro-flourescing deal on the prop has been kicked around for a while, but nothing's ever come of it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
CAG Sherman and Det-4 as I recall. Back in 2000, the CAG was so pissed at that particular COD det, the two COD's weren't allowed to fly onboard, had to be craned aboard.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
CAG Sherman and Det-4 as I recall. Back in 2000, the CAG was so pissed at that particular COD det, the two COD's weren't allowed to fly onboard, had to be craned aboard.

I think thats about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. CAG's feelings were hurt so he made the COD's be craned aboard rather than flown on?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think thats about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. CAG's feelings were hurt so he made the COD's be craned aboard rather than flown on?

That CAG was a tyrant from what I've heard. The DET missed some DV runs, some regular hits and it went from there. I'm just glad when I was OIC, both CAG's were somewhat level headed.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember "Sperm'n" Sherman on the Stennis. He was afraid the CODs would break. So craned them on.

Very insulting to VRC-30.