• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for the E-2 guys

fudog50

Thats the first thing that hit me,,,a crane off!!

(by the way who said crane on?, I never seen one in 26 years, but you never know?)

My first at-sea period as MMCO, I almost had to crane off a Prowler. It happens, but you get crap from the other MMCO's in the CAG for sure!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I remember "Sperm'n" Sherman on the Stennis. He was afraid the CODs would break. So craned them on.

Very insulting to VRC-30.

Probably the idea. I cruised with CVW-2 with DCAG then CAG Trotter for my first deployment. He was bad enough but from what I've heard, better than Sherman. Of course Trotter was fired between deployments and early retired. Sometimes you get caught abusing that power.

fudog50

That just doesn't make sense though I'm not doubting it, I've seen such ludicrous decisions made in the past. Really though, I don' belive that was the reason, but who am I?

So what you are trying to say is that CAG didn't trust them to fly aboard and had to be "craned on"?? That is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard! So it would follow that the next day when CQ started, the CODs were allowed to fly off but not trap back?

It just don't make sense.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing in this world is so ridiculous that some O-6+ hasn't insisted on it at some point. There was a Hook article a while back about a CVA coming into a close-fit port in the Far East somewhere back in the day. The Skipper got the bright idea of chaining all the Spads up along the bow cats (as I said, back in the day), tails outboard, and running the engines up and down as a sort of "bow thruster". Nevermind everybody down the chain telling him it was a really, really bad idea, it'd trash the planes without any benefit to the ship, etc, dude had a Bright Idea and wouldn't let it go. Natch, a bunch of engines were over-temp'ed and amazingly enough, didn't budge the Boat at all.

Nose

pilot
Nothing in this world is so ridiculous that some O-6+ hasn't insisted on it at some point. There was a Hook article a while back about a CVA coming into a close-fit port in the Far East somewhere back in the day. The Skipper got the bright idea of chaining all the Spads up along the bow cats (as I said, back in the day), tails outboard, and running the engines up and down as a sort of "bow thruster". Nevermind everybody down the chain telling him it was a really, really bad idea, it'd trash the planes without any benefit to the ship, etc, dude had a Bright Idea and wouldn't let it go. Natch, a bunch of engines were over-temp'ed and amazingly enough, didn't budge the Boat at all.

That was from Bridges at Toko Ri - it might have happened in real life too, a lot of that book did.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was from Bridges at Toko Ri - it might have happened in real life too, a lot of that book did.

Yup, now that you mention it, the article did say it was the inspiration for the incident in the novel.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That just doesn't make sense though I'm not doubting it, I've seen such ludicrous decisions made in the past. Really though, I don' belive that was the reason, but who am I?

So what you are trying to say is that CAG didn't trust them to fly aboard and had to be "craned on"?? That is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard! So it would follow that the next day when CQ started, the CODs were allowed to fly off but not trap back?

It just don't make sense.

It seems much of what that particular CAG did, didn't make sense. You get someone with an issue against the OIC or against props or whatever, they often do things that don't make sense. Call it poor leadership, whatever. It was done to say don't fuck with me. You break, you can't meet the important missions, you'll get craned onboard.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Crane off due to cracked outer wing panel hinge fitting. Not enough time to get new OWP to ship, so plan B is crane off onto barge for trip to Kisarazu and OWP change, followed by flight to Atsugi. Standard practice for the Yoko-based carrier since Midway days if you couldn't fix something prior to pulling in.

As to crane on/off. In the good old days we used to crane the whole air wing onboard prior to leaving port. It guaranteed 100% attendance with no stragglers and allowed a west coast carrier to head west at best speed. For the A-7 and S-3 guys it was a lesson in "don't forget the skid plates." For the whole air wing it was a lesson in not painting over the hoist points.

History lesson for the day.

fudog50

Certainly not recent history like within thst last 20 years.

You know, I've noticed that grandeur sometimes takes the place of reality, and some peoples recollections of the same circumstances are different.

I suppose it makes the world an interesting place, but that is utterly absurd, please back that up with facts?

Crane the whole AirWing aboard? UP goes the BS Flag!!! 60 + jets??? gimme a break

I mean that may have happened in ancient history, certainly not within the last 26 years I have been in! Some of us were born at night, but not last night?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

You know, I've noticed that grandeur sometimes takes the place of reality, and some peoples recollections of the same circumstances are different.

I suppose it makes the world an interesting place, but that is utterly absurd, please back that up with facts?

Crane the whole AirWing aboard? UP goes the BS Flag!!! 60 + jets??? gimme a break

I mean that may have happened in ancient history, certainly not within the last 26 years I have been in! Some of us were born at night, but not last night?

Likewise. First time I've ever heard anything like that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As to crane on/off. In the good old days we used to crane the whole air wing onboard prior to leaving port. It guaranteed 100% attendance with no stragglers and allowed a west coast carrier to head west at best speed.

History lesson for the day.

We did in mid eighties at Norfolk during workups when everyone was qualled and ship had to sortie quickly. Someone figured it was more expeditious to fly everyone into Norfolk and do the Cranex overnight and leave with the morning tide than spend the day bringing everyone aboard. Only happened that once, but I remember hearing it was fairly routine at North Island at the time for reasons expressed by 2Sr. So not too ancient an event.

2sr2worry

January 1987, CVW-9/USS Kitty Hawk. Entire air wing flew to NASNI, was towed from the T-line ramp area down Tow Road (hmmm...where did it get that name?) to pier Lima and subsequently craned aboard. With two cranes working the evolution actually went pretty smoothly. Not sure about the "reality distortion angle" you espouse--"crane on" is a pretty binary event--plane on pier--lift--plane on ship--repeat, and I stood on the pier for the entire day coordinating the lifts. Plus it's hard to forget a deployment where we spent 106 days on Gonzo Station with one of the most oppressive carrier CO's of all times who ruled with an iron fist. Remember, CAG was just a senior CDR in the "good old days." Oops, will you be raising your flag again?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
We did in mid eighties at Norfolk during workups when everyone was qualled and ship had to sortie quickly. Someone figured it was more expeditious to fly everyone into Norfolk and do the Cranex overnight and leave with the morning tide than spend the day bringing everyone aboard. Only happened that once, but I remember hearing it was fairly routine at North Island at the time for reasons expressed by 2Sr. So not too ancient an event.
You even craned the helos on?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You even craned the helos on?

We just had to be onboard the night before and hit the rack once there. In the AM after obligatory AOM and first time up on the roof, everyone was aboard so can't say how helos got there.

2sr2worry

crane_aboard.jpg

Just to stick a fork in it and be done, here's a scan of page 4 from the '87 cruise book.