• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question on Cortramid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yanni

Midshipman
Do all Marine Option Midshipmen have to go on jet rides even if they do not want to be pilots?

Yanni

Midshipman
aight, you can have it. I've never been a fan of heights so I don't know quite how I would handle being strapped into an f-18, don't get me wrong I love planes. I just think i'd have a heart attack or something.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Damn dude give it to me, I'm in primary and would love a jet ride, just a bit more exciting than a T-34 I imagine.

Yanni

Midshipman
I would if i could but i think i have to balls it up if it ends up i have to, give an oorah and go.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
You know yanni, if you are going to be a marine, good chance you will have to jump on a helicopter one day and nothing better will get you over your fear of heights than pulling 6G's going inverted with your *** on fire.

Yanni

Midshipman
Well put, my friend. I was just curious as what happens, but if I have to up then
I will.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Not everyone get's jet rides, actually, it seems to be quite rare. When I went 2 years ago, a good number of MO's got to go up in 18D's though.

Yanni

Midshipman
If I understand correctly I attend Cortramid the summer after my freshmen year? What is the swim test I keep reading about? A Jet ride would be pretty cool.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Yanni said:
If I understand correctly I attend Cortramid the summer after my freshmen year? What is the swim test I keep reading about? A Jet ride would be pretty cool.

All the scholarship mids go after freshman year...

The swim test is a breeze, they make you do some easy stuff with blackout goggles on and swim something like 50 feet in flight gear. Everyone passed when I was at CORTRAMID except for the people who couldn't swim to save their lives.

I didn't get a jet ride, but I did get a ride in a T-34 and an MH-53... I was totally sold on Naval Aviation after that.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are that afraid of flying, they will not FORCE you to go flying.....but just think of the opportunity you passing up.....PLUS you still have another year before you need to worry about it. But like others have said above, Jet flights are not the norm....usually Helo and T-34 flights.
ea6bflyr

Rg9

pilot
Uhhhh.... I don't really know why you wouldn't want the jet ride. I know aviation isn't the safest thing, but if you are one of the lucky guys to get one, they'll probably give you a pretty standard ride (i.e., no night carrier landings).

You have to do ejection seat and swim training first anyway, so you probably won't even get the option unless you get very lucky. TAKE IT if you get it though. You won't regret it.

P.S. Sorry to be picky, but you are a "Midshipman," not multiple "Midshipmen." :D :D ;) <- lost of smiles!

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
Yeah man, MO or not, you'll have a blast. Not to mention, you'll be one of the lucky few MIDs that actually gets to ride in something other than a Turbomentor.

Yanni

Midshipman
Crazy pluralization ;) , I'm attending the University of Pittsburgh but my battalion is at Carnegie Mellon they are cross-town affiliates.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Aviation week is different for everyone. Ive had friends who had great ones: jet rides/T-34 stick time/helo stick time etc. My aviationw week was somewhat lacking. Got a 20-25 min backseat ride in a T-34. 3 touch n goes, 3 aerobatic manuvers and a landing w/out stick time (The IP specifically told me not to touch the stick during the flight).

What you do on avaition week is pretty much all luck of the draw, and since your an MO this may be your only exposure to aviation before selection. If you want to see or do something ask. If you get slotted for a ride that you aren't interested in find someone to trade with. If your a Navy mid and you get a crap aviaiton week, don't let that stop you from putting avaition ashore down for your 1/c cruise.

A little advice for you and any other MOs who may read this: Cortraimid is going to be the only exposure you get to some communities in the Navy/Marine team. DO NOT be one of those MOs who continuously b!tches and moans the entire time about how its stupid that you have to do the Navy weeks even though your a Marine. That gets really annoying and reflects badly on you, your unit, and the Marine Corps (remember that for the junior members of some communities you are the only exposure to the Marine Corps that they are going to get). Even if you have zero interest in whatever week your going on, show some respect to those who do as well as the people of those communities, and don't be a whiney b!tch

Navy Mids, same goes to you with regards to Marine Week. Don't b!tch that you have to get dirty, sleep outside, get a little yelled at, eat MREs etc even though you are in the Navy. Show respect to the MOs, those interested in the Marine Corps, and the Marines themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.