• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions from a 2007 Applicant

navychick

You know the first half of full metal jacket?

r_lee_ermey_full_metal.jpg

Its nothing like that.

Think Animal House (ah college) with the occasional bit of Navy stuff. Read around the NROTC forum, there's lots of knowledges already posted on the subject.

Oh and If you're lucky enough to graduate and do stash duty at your unit... think "Office Space".

I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE!! :D

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
i only had this situation one time where I watched someone get commissioned who I knew just wanted in and out. I couldn't stand watching that...but I do hope you are right otherwise.

There's always some... but you don't have to be a lifer to be in the program. I certainly have not committed to anything outside earning wings + 8yrs.

I graduated with at least one person who IMHO does not belong in the Navy and proved himself to be a total power-tripping a-hole within a week of getting bars on his collar. If it is possible to not make LTJG this guy will get out as an ENS.

There's always going to be some that slip through the cracks at every level...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Looks like I'll join the Embry-Riddle NROTC unit as a cp. Anything to boost my chances of getting a 2 or 3 yr scholarship and, even more importantly, anything to become a Naval Officer. I really appreciate the encouragement and help from everyone!

For those of you who went through or are in an NROTC unit, what's it like (I have the general idea, but I'm looking for specifics)? I figure I'll be spending 4 yrs in the unit, so I might as well find out as much as possible before I go in head first. Do they run your butt off every day? Do you get much personal time, or is it a deal where the unit consumes every minute of your life?

Whatever it is that I have to do, I'm ready and willing - I just want to know what life's going to be like for the next 4 yrs.

I would certainly encourage a search here...But as a 5 yr NROTC guy...the unit is what you put into it. If the only people who give a damn are the marines, than it will be a marine run unit. If you do the minimum AND enjoy the rest of your college experience, good on you, but you won't get much out of it (the ROTC unit). If you stay engaged and want the leadership and responsibility, either as a scholarship or CPer, you'll get it.

Good luck and remember to have fun!

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I have said this before to you, but feel free to PM me with questions. I was a college programmer at ERAU's NROTC unit.

The unit has a new CO, XO, MOI, and AMOI so I cant tell you much about them. The Midshipmen staff I do know and have no doubts that they will make it a good year. You will enjoy it...getting paid or not.

STARFlight145

I have said this before to you, but feel free to PM me with questions. I was a college programmer at ERAU's NROTC unit.

The unit has a new CO, XO, MOI, and AMOI so I cant tell you much about them. The Midshipmen staff I do know and have no doubts that they will make it a good year. You will enjoy it...getting paid or not.

Were you eventually awarded a scholarship?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Nope. I did get a stipend my junior and senior year due to being 'advanced standing.' It was 350(?) a month for my junior year and then 400 for my senior year.

jtellez

Although I don't know much about being a CPer, I do have experience with the scholarship process. I got a 4-year scholarship to VMI and just finished getting physically qualified by dodmerb. Got any questions, just ask.

One small reccomendation, DO NOT work out for at least 3 days or so before taking your Dodmerb urinalysis. Working out can cause protein to appear in your urine and if that happens then you'll be asked for a remedial test. Its not that big of a deal but passing the first time can save you sooo much time and it'll give you peace of mind. Still, if you're asked for any remedials, don't freak out, lots of people are asked for then and then either qualified or given a waiver.

Also I remember I was took my eye exam for dodmerb, the guy who did it pretty much half-assed and rushed it (while doing my eye test he kept going online to his myspace!). It also didnt help that I didn't sleep well the night before and my eyes were pretty tried and red from waking up early for the physical. My eyes were found to be 20/40 in both eyes distant and 25/20 in both near. And they were correctable to 20/20 near but only 20/25 distant. The Navy requested a manifest refraction too check my eyes out again. The optometrist I went to actually took their time and did everything properly and I made sure I was well-rest and drank plenty of water (which I hear helps) and turns out I got 20/20 near, and 20/25 distant but it corrects to 20/25. Bottomline, don't worry too much about Dodmerb, but follow what they say carefully and everything will be okay.

pdx

HSM Pilot
One small reccomendation, DO NOT work out for at least 3 days or so before taking your Dodmerb urinalysis. Working out can cause protein to appear in your urine and if that happens then you'll be asked for a remedial test. Its not that big of a deal but passing the first time can save you sooo much time and it'll give you peace of mind. Still, if you're asked for any remedials, don't freak out, lots of people are asked for then and then either qualified or given a waiver.

This happened to me as well (wrong protein level in urine) from fasting too long. If they say 12 hours, try to eat 12-13 hours before. By the time I did my urinalysis, it had been 21 or so for me. I had to repeat the test, but no problems.

Regarding working out, I have never heard of this. At OCS we PTed pretty hard everyday before the urinalysis at it never caused any problems with urine or bloodwork. Just don't take any supplements.

It's worth noting that this is the MEDICAL urinalysis, not the drug screening one.