• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions on the Process

AS06

So i'm a senior in high school and have my NROTC apps in and waiting for a response from the review board. Hypothetically, if I was to be selected for a scholarship on the first review board date, does anyone know how long it will take for the board to notify me of my status?

Secondly, i've also been accepted in Purdue and am waiting on a response back from Michigan (interested in aero engineering). I was curious on the number of pilot slots present at Purdue NROTC. I read recently the ROTC programs at Purdue have grown dramatically and am interested if this increased has had any effect on the number of pilots in a detachment. I plan to contact the detachment at Purdue if I get the scholarship, but would like some idea of the number of slots before I speak to anyone.

Thanks for the help, the number of slots is really concerning me. I've applied to both the Air Force and Naval Academies, but am unsure if they would be the best fit, if I even was accepted to either school.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure of any exact numbers for Purdue however...

There are 8 Purdue folks down here within one class of me either way at the two Primary squadrons in Corpus Christi...lots o' Boilermakers. They are definitely one of the more heavily represented schools I know of right now.

snake020

Contributor
I would worry about the things you can affect, such as your fitness and academics, than how many slots supposedly go to a particular school...

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
So i'm a senior in high school and have my NROTC apps in and waiting for a response from the review board. Hypothetically, if I was to be selected for a scholarship on the first review board date, does anyone know how long it will take for the board to notify me of my status?

Secondly, i've also been accepted in Purdue and am waiting on a response back from Michigan (interested in aero engineering). I was curious on the number of pilot slots present at Purdue NROTC. I read recently the ROTC programs at Purdue have grown dramatically and am interested if this increased has had any effect on the number of pilots in a detachment. I plan to contact the detachment at Purdue if I get the scholarship, but would like some idea of the number of slots before I speak to anyone.

Thanks for the help, the number of slots is really concerning me. I've applied to both the Air Force and Naval Academies, but am unsure if they would be the best fit, if I even was accepted to either school.

Don't worry about pilot slots etc...it doesn't matter where you went to school. You are ranked across the nation when it comes to service selection.

Purdue is a good place to be. My graduating class in May sent 9 people down to PCOLA for aviation.

AS06

Thanks for the concern snake, I think I have those areas covered. Currently, I'm in the top 10% of my class and scored a 31 on the ACT. As for fitness, I maxed out 3 events on the Academy Candidate Fitness Asscessment and was above the averages on the other three...

As for getting accepted into Purdue, I did not apply for early decision to any school. I would assume that my desire to be very competitive for the Service Academies put me in a good position to get accepted elsewhere, I just decided to apply to colleges around the same time with the ROTC programs for their first review board.

If pilots are selected nationally, what are average qualifications excluding medical conditions for being a pilot? I assumed they were generally higher than the minimum requirements presented in the ROTC flyers.

Does anyone know when the first review board selects students for the Scholarships as well?

NFOMom

My son got his letter that he was selected for the Scholarship around Thanksgiving of his senior year. He had been accepted to Purdue and Michigan the scholarship didn't say which school he had to use it at, but he chose Michigan.

Good luck!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
How have you already gotten accepted? Early decision??

Since Purdue is a large state school, I'm going to assume it has rolling admissions, as in the earlier you apply, the earlier you hear back.

It's not like most schools who have a deadline in January, then sound out notifications in April.

sbpilot

Since Purdue is a large state school, I'm going to assume it has rolling admissions, as in the earlier you apply, the earlier you hear back.

It's not like most schools who have a deadline in January, then sound out notifications in April.

Oh ok I got it, never heard of rolling admissions before. Thats way different from the UC system.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the concern snake, I think I have those areas covered. Currently, I'm in the top 10% of my class and scored a 31 on the ACT. As for fitness, I maxed out 3 events on the Academy Candidate Fitness Asscessment and was above the averages on the other three...

As for getting accepted into Purdue, I did not apply for early decision to any school. I would assume that my desire to be very competitive for the Service Academies put me in a good position to get accepted elsewhere, I just decided to apply to colleges around the same time with the ROTC programs for their first review board.

If pilots are selected nationally, what are average qualifications excluding medical conditions for being a pilot? I assumed they were generally higher than the minimum requirements presented in the ROTC flyers.

Does anyone know when the first review board selects students for the Scholarships as well?

Some basic quals for pilot: good standing in the unit, good PT (looks like you go that covered), and good grades. Oh, and do well on the ASTB. The ASTB, IMO, is pretty easy. Practice the spacial, learn some basic navigation stuff (for example, the Naval Science course require by NROTC at Purdue!) and you'll do fine. Purdue practically breeds aviators, you'll be fine there.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I think Purdue has an aviation program as well don't they?

Right but having the major doesnt really matter. It's popular for mids to be in Aviation Technology, but it doesn't make or break as far as aviation goes.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

it sounds like you really need to step back and take things one step at a time. Putting all your eggs in the Pilot/NFO basket is just setting yourself up for trouble later on.......there are dozens of things that could happen to disqualify you from those communities in the next few years (before you service select). During my freshman year, our LT had my class raise our hands if we wanted to select pilot....over half the class of 30 raised theirs. We put in our service selections this last week (3 years later), and do you want to know how many people put down "pilot"? 3 including myself.....

Between all the students who DOR'd (a LOT, including scholarship studs like yourself), disenrolled due to grades/PT, or who were found NPQ at their flight physical, we had an 80% "change your mind" rate. Not saying that things won't work out for you....you sound like you will probably hit the ground running, but I am trying to help you be realistic. And yes, you will be competing against all the NROTC mids nationwide. That said and on a more reassuring note, I don't know anyone who didn't get pilot who wanted it during this last selection (for Dec. commissionees)

My guess is that Purdue sends a lot of pilots to P-cola because there are a lot of folks interested in being a pilot at Purdue....and it is a technical school which can make a difference on your application if you do reasonably well in your technical major. This is in contrast w/ my school which seems to be more Nuke/Sub and SWO oriented in terms of folk's interests.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
it sounds like you really need to step back and take things one step at a time. Putting all your eggs in the Pilot/NFO basket is just setting yourself up for trouble later on.......there are dozens of things that could happen to disqualify you from those communities in the next few years (before you service select). During my freshman year, our LT had my class raise our hands if we wanted to select pilot....over half the class of 30 raised theirs. We put in our service selections this last week (3 years later), and do you want to know how many people put down "pilot"? 3 including myself.....

Between all the students who DOR'd (a LOT, including scholarship studs like yourself), disenrolled due to grades/PT, or who were found NPQ at their flight physical, we had an 80% "change your mind" rate. Not saying that things won't work out for you....you sound like you will probably hit the ground running, but I am trying to help you be realistic. And yes, you will be competing against all the NROTC mids nationwide. That said and on a more reassuring note, I don't know anyone who didn't get pilot who wanted it during this last selection (for Dec. commissionees)

My guess is that Purdue sends a lot of pilots to P-cola because there are a lot of folks interested in being a pilot at Purdue....and it is a technical school which can make a difference on your application if you do reasonably well in your technical major. This is in contrast w/ my school which seems to be more Nuke/Sub and SWO oriented in terms of folk's interests.

Man, wake up. Your college has NOTHING to do with what your service selection will be. Specifically selecting aviation depends on your aptitude, grades (plus the point given for your major (eng, tech, lib arts etc)), PT and being physically qualified. Of course he has to make it all the way through the prograj w/o DORing or whatever. As for him "wanting" or changing his mind of the course of his NROTC career, whatever. But that has nothing to do with his chances right now. Maybe things aren't explained to you all that well.

Oh, and your 80% change your mind rate is totally bogus. When my class service selected last fall, everyone SNA wannabe got it, and we weren't all rocket scientist engineers. In fact, half of us were lib arts majors. Check your facts before you post stupid crap.