• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions on the Process

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Man, wake up. Your college has NOTHING to do with what your service selection will be. Specifically selecting aviation depends on your aptitude, grades (plus the point given for your major (eng, tech, lib arts etc)), PT and being physically qualified. Of course he has to make it all the way through the prograj w/o DORing or whatever. As for him "wanting" or changing his mind of the course of his NROTC career, whatever. But that has nothing to do with his chances right now. Maybe things aren't explained to you all that well.

Oh, and your 80% change your mind rate is totally bogus. When my class service selected last fall, everyone SNA wannabe got it, and we weren't all rocket scientist engineers. In fact, half of us were lib arts majors. Check your facts before you post stupid crap.

good god....did you actually think that I meant any of that when you read my post? My comment about the college choice was in reference to another post about Purdue turning out a lot of SNA/SNFO's.....I meant that b/c there is a big aviation program at Purdue, it probably attracts a lot of pilot wannabes who in turn choose (what I meant by "select") SNA when they get their chance. Never said a damn thing about your school having ANY relevance to what you actually end up getting in your service selection, and I certainly wouldn't. Also, I never said anything about him needing to be a "rocket scientist engineer"...in fact my comment about technical majors being an advantage was meant as a HUGE "if" (see the part about actually needing to do well in engineering for it to have ANY benefit). For the original poster (so he isn't mislead by what I said) all of the other guys who chose SNA from my class were liberal arts majors with the exception of me. @ Noseman, maybe your class was especially dedicated....my experience has not been the same as yours. It's not that it is especially HARD to get selected for pilot (at least from what I have observed at my unit and on this board)....it is the fact that you have to make it through the program first, and at my school, there were A LOT of dropouts or guys who just changed their mind. That was ALL that I was trying to convey to our incoming freshman. He may get a year into the program and decide that it isn't what he wants to do.....so he should not get ahead of himself and start worrying about choosing a school based on its percentage of students who get SNA/SNFO. And I think I said that my class had about 80% change their mind about being a pilot (or quit).....certainly not implying that this was some hard and fast statistic.

so basically take the opposite of everything you think I said in the last post, and that is what I meant......because apparently I am taking crazy pills.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Aviation Technology was actually no bigger draw than anything else at Purdue. The reason why lots of Freshman ended up at that school in the first place was actually because of the Engineering program....aero, mech etc. AvTech turned into more of a "backup" when a lot of us decided engineering sucked and switched majors. That is also how lots of us ended up in lib arts etc....However, it seems like the days of switching your major easily if you hate engineering or whatever are over since the Navy really wants technical people. If you start in engineering you are expected to stay that way.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
From what I have seen at Purdue we seem to get quite a few pilots and nukes. It's a great school btw.

I was never officially in NROTC there but knew many people who were and I even took the NROTC Nav course there before graduating.