• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick question

johnr52

I was wondering if the Navy (or any branch) goes through your juvinile records when you apply for any position. If they found a report on you but you were never convicted of what you did what would they say in that case as well. Thanks

pdx

HSM Pilot
Check out some of the other posts on getting security clearances (use the search).

Bottom line is usually this: if you disclose it voluntarily, they will work with you. If they find it during your background check, it could be more of a problem. Not convicted and underage, I doubt its a huge deal.

Birdman

johnr52 said:
I was wondering if the Navy (or any branch) goes through your juvinile records when you apply for any position. If they found a report on you but you were never convicted of what you did what would they say in that case as well. Thanks
I concur with pdx, but I just wanted to add that they will check your juvenile records. So, fess up to whatever you did so it doesn't look you're dishonest to boot.

MasterBates

If you get accepted for SNA NOTHING save being 6'7" makes your chances for helos go down if you want them. They are the most plentiful platform.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
johnr52 said:
ok thanks, would telling them of my record make my chances go down for flying helos?

If you want to fly them, then Yes. If you don't want to fly them then no.

Just kidding. Cheers! :D

johnr52

MasterBates said:
If you get accepted for SNA NOTHING save being 6'7" makes your chances for helos go down if you want them. They are the most plentiful platform.

So your saying my juvi record wont affect my future plans?

pdx

HSM Pilot
Once you get in and your security clearance is approved, it has absolutely no bearing on your chances of selecting anything.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just to reiterate what's been said elsewhere, you won't even get a clearance while in flight school. It's not required and they won't issue you one. The RAG is a different story.

pdx

HSM Pilot
gatordev said:
Just to reiterate what's been said elsewhere, you won't even get a clearance while in flight school. It's not required and they won't issue you one. The RAG is a different story.

That's not true exactly. I went through OCS, and the goal was to have all of our Secret Clearances done before commissioning. Out of 30, 26 people's clearances went through. For the other 4 of us, it took a little longer. My Secret was finally approved during primary.

As far as TS's are concerned, they will start that process when and if necessary (generally at the RAG). And I believe it is true that you do not need any kind of clearance in flight school (just like gatordev said).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TSs aren't granted to CAT 1 RAG dudes unless you're community needs it (VQ and such). Yes, what I said is exactly true. You WILL NOT get a clearance going to flight school. Your paperwork may have been completed, you may have even been investigated and approved, but that doesn't mean a clearance has been issued. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I even have an active clearance at the moment (might be wrong about that, as I don't have a copy of my orders to look at).

This is also true for Mids. They fill out their paperwork prior to summer cruise. The ROTC/USNA security manager grants a clearance to them when they leave. When they return, their clearance is withdrawn, but can be reinstated at any time. You can actually be granted an interim clearance before your investigation has been completed and approved.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
TSs aren't granted to CAT 1 RAG dudes unless you're community needs it (VQ and such). Yes, what I said is exactly true. You WILL NOT get a clearance going to flight school. Your paperwork may have been completed, you may have even been investigated and approved, but that doesn't mean a clearance has been issued. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I even have an active clearance at the moment (might be wrong about that, as I don't have a copy of my orders to look at).

This is also true for Mids. They fill out their paperwork prior to summer cruise. The ROTC/USNA security manager grants a clearance to them when they leave. When they return, their clearance is withdrawn, but can be reinstated at any time. You can actually be granted an interim clearance before your investigation has been completed and approved.
You revert to a secret clearance as an officer. You can walk in to any SSO and they can pull up your clearance info on their DONCAF computer and give you access to SIPR, etc. That's exactly what I had to do here since the ROTC unit isn't wired for SIPR. The rest of your post is spot on.

Brett

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
You need to disclose all of your police involvment no matter when it happened. If you screwed up as a juvenile it will, most likely, not affect your application unless it was a felony, then you may have some trouble.

If you don't come clean, the TS investigation will find you out and you are subject to being charged with fraudulent enlistment.