• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick question

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You revert to a secret clearance as an officer. You can walk in to any SSO and they can pull up your clearance info on their DONCAF computer and give you access to SIPR, etc. That's exactly what I had to do here since the ROTC unit isn't wired for SIPR. The rest of your post is spot on.

Brett

Copy all. I think we're saying the same thing, you're just using more precise language. Someone still needs to determine that you have the need to know (which may take all of 5 minutes) and therefore "clear" you to see secret squirrel stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Copy all. I think we're saying the same thing, you're just using more precise language. Someone still needs to determine that you have the need to know (which may take all of 5 minutes) and therefore "clear" you to see secret squirrel stuff.

Rog. In my experience, for the most part the secret stuff is fairly vanilla, so being an officer constitutes a need to know. Just think about how much diverse stuff is on SIPR, most of which doesn't directly (or tangentially) relate to my job, but it's just out there for all to see.

Brett

pdx

HSM Pilot
TSs aren't granted to CAT 1 RAG dudes unless you're community needs it (VQ and such). Yes, what I said is exactly true. You WILL NOT get a clearance going to flight school. Your paperwork may have been completed, you may have even been investigated and approved, but that doesn't mean a clearance has been issued. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I even have an active clearance at the moment (might be wrong about that, as I don't have a copy of my orders to look at).

This is also true for Mids. They fill out their paperwork prior to summer cruise. The ROTC/USNA security manager grants a clearance to them when they leave. When they return, their clearance is withdrawn, but can be reinstated at any time. You can actually be granted an interim clearance before your investigation has been completed and approved.

Interesting, I checked back through my paperwork, and it does say my clearance is approved. I didn't know that was different than having an active clearance. Obviously, I can't look at anything classified because I have zero need to know. After all, ain't nothing secret on a TH-57.