• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick Question

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Memory serving, the valsalva forces more fluid into your eardrum area, which will balance with the increased air pressure due to a descent. In theory, if you increase the inner pressure while reducing the outer pressure (on an ascent), you could rupture something. And I think that is bad.

In theory, yes, but in practice, it gets the flow going through your eustachian tube. You're not going to rupture anything by w/ valsalva (edit: unless you're an idiot). There, happy? :D

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The swim phys mantra is "Yawn, chew and swallow" for ascents...however Brett is correct. Even Navy dive school teaches valsalva on ascent and descent and pressure changes in water are much more substantial.

If you perform the valsalva incorrectly however, you can break stuff...so learn to do it right (best place is in the water) and do it before its neccessary. After a while, your ears will get used to constant pressure changes and this will (usually) become less of an issue.

After several years of lots of diving, my ears almost take care of themselves.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I have always been taught to valsalva on the way down and yawn on the way up. This has always worked for me in both flying and diving.

We need to send up the Feddoc signal for this one.....

project0pf3.jpg

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I have always been taught to valsalva on the way down and yawn on the way up. This has always worked for me in both flying and diving.

We need to send up the Feddoc signal for this one.....

project0pf3.jpg

Yup, valsalva only on the way down during a flight.