• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

exNavyOffRec

On first swipe here are some names I came up for bases with the idea of keeping the names somewhat regional or related...

Fort Lee (VA) could become Fort George Henry Thomas.

Fort Bragg (NC) could become Fort William C. Lee.

Fort Benning (GA) could become Fort Courtney Hodges

Fort AP Hill (VA) could be Fort Emil Kapuan

Fort Gordon (GA) could be Fort Henry O. Flipper

Fort Hood (TX) could become Fort Eisenhower

Fort Polk (LA) could become Fort Gordon Johnston

Fort Rucker (AL) could become Fort Eugene Bullard

Fort Pickett (VA) could simply become Camp Blackstone

Or leave Fort Gordon the same name but the basis could be for Gary Gordon for his actions in Mogadishu

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Or leave Fort Gordon the same name but the basis could be for Gary Gordon for his actions in Mogadishu
Not a terrible idea, but I think people would call BS or to be more accurate wouldn’t get the change. The same could be said for my Bragg to Lee suggestion.

Mos

None
Some interesting name recommendations from a couple of West Point grads. Follows the rule “no Generals”.

Geronimo? Sure, the guy was a crafty tactician and force of nature but I'm not sure that a man who's strategy is based on revenge and indiscriminately killed Mexicans is a much better choice than a Confederate general. If we're gonna spurn otherwise remarkable historic figures because we don't approve of their values, at least be consistent. Don't see a problem with the other names.

nodropinufaka

Here is a photo that came up on my Facebook.

Earlier in the thread we discussed how I was a minority officer.

Imagine how hurtful this photo is to people. It’s not even that old. It’s hurtful to me and even worst it’s 2020 and people still discriminating against people. I had a fellow officer question if I belonged by basis of how I looked. In 2020. 70 years after this photo.

And yea. It’s easy to say “well that statue doesn’t bother me, blah blah blah, history”

It bothers other people though. And makes them feel inferior and upset.

Also reading some of these comments from other officers and their beliefs just baffles me.26402

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Also reading some of these comments from other officers and their beliefs just baffles me.
Some people have, ya know, opinions and stuff. I don't think I've seen a single post here condoning racism. How much there is in the military was the point of the thread, and some people's experiences have obviously varied. How best to deal with it, and whether it is the number one, two, three, or ten etc thing holding certain races back economically (especially outside of the military), can be argued.

The consensus of what I've read in this thread is that there is no "guarantee" that any individual won't face racism on in individual level in the military. Individuals that act in a racist manner should obviously be punished. There is very little to no systemic racism in the military. Promotion systems are merit and timing and luck (sometimes luck is the first) based far more than anything else. As mentioned at least twice, the folks at the very top of the military hierarchy started long ago, and (IMO) are not reflective of the demographics that will be in charge 20-30 years from now. Unless you want straight race-based decisions to equate percentages of population (ie say 13% of the population is black, so 13% of GOFOs must be as well even though less than 13% of the promotable group is; 5.6% must be asian (which might take away some slots as it has in universities), etc), it will take some time for that to shake out. Guaranteeing equality of outcome is not the right way to do business. Trying to make equality of opportunity as far as possible is.

The whole statue thing maybe should have been a different thread, but I dunno. We can pretend the Navy never used to have different lines for different races or we can acknowledge that it happened, it was wrong, and it was also a different time. Should that photo be scourged from the internet? A lot HAS changed since 1950, or so I'm told. I wasn't around then.

Or, if one is easily offended, stay off social media. I don't use it, and not because things offend me, but most of it is a waste of time. I think I could even say I get my fix here haha.

nodropinufaka

Some people have, ya know, opinions and stuff.

yea... that’s exactly the problem.

Blindly saying there is no systemic racism in the military and saying things that are clearly racist and wrong is someone’s opinion is the problem that we are facing.

I urge to @FinkUFreaky to take a greater look at what is going on and not use the excuse of opinions, people being triggered by social media, etc.

There is a legitimate problem that minorities face Inside the military. Even PACAF just released a video talking about his experiences.

Last edited:

FinkUFreaky

pilot
yea... that’s exactly the problem.
Well, someday the Orwellian nightmare of thought police might be real. Luckily, it isn't yet.

Great story out there on a very long well written (supposedly by someone in the UC Berkeley History department; this hasn't been verified to my knowledge. If it ever is the writer will likely lose their job. I can't imagine such an eloquent piece by someone outside of academia though). The UC Berkely History department twitter response was also as to be expected.

edit: the above post was all there was when I responded and has been edited to expand so;

Hm. I'll step off the systemic part, but my paragraph did begin with "The consensus of what I've read in this thread." I think if you re-read the first few pages of this thread, that part was covered. If the majority are wrong then data is always great to interject with. Just noticed Taxi did below me, and as I mentioned there's no guarantees of not meeting a racist. My understanding of systemic might be wrong, but thought it was that the system is holding down people of color. This thread has bounced around a bit, as all do on this site.

My eyes and ears are open. Did somebody say something actually racist in this thread? I might have skimmed over it. Or is something "clearly racist and wrong" only clear to certain people? Or is it just the statue conversation that is clearly racist and wrong?

I'm truly not trying to give you a hard time. I'd implore you to think about things the same way you are asking me to. Do you have suggestions for the systemic racism you perceive to exist in the military?

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
There is very little to no systemic racism in the military.

There is hard data on a current uptick of it in the ranks.

The 2019 survey found that 36 percent of troops who responded have seen evidence of white supremacist and racist ideologies in the military, a significant rise from the year before, when only 22 percent — about 1 in 5 — reported the same in the 2018 poll.

Enlisted members were more likely than officers to witness the extremist views (37 percent to 27 percent). Minorities were significantly more likely to report cases of racist behavior than whites (53 percent to 30 percent).

nodropinufaka

Well, someday the Orwellian nightmare of thought police might be real. Luckily, it isn't yet.

Great story out there on a very long well written (supposedly by someone in the UC Berkeley History department; this hasn't been verified to my knowledge. If it ever is the writer will likely lose their job. I can't imagine such an eloquent piece by someone outside of academia though). The UC Berkely History department twitter response was also as to be expected.

Exactly how is that Orwellian?

did you miss the rest of the post and what I said?

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Exactly how is that Orwellian?

did you miss the rest of the post and what I said?
When I replied to your post, that is all there was. Then you edited it. So I edited mine and it is a bit longer now.

Edit: when I first responded to your post, all you had was my quote of "Some people have, ya know, opinions and stuff. "
And your only response was "yea... that’s exactly the problem. "

You've since edited it into a longer message which I replied to, but based on those two quotes, I'd say Orwellian is a good example. It looks worse in retrospect when you edited it of course.

Last edited: