• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rafaels on the Enterprise??

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't think we would let them trap (reference the De Gaule thread from a few months ago), but apparently it is fine to trap the Rafaels & French E-2's. Nice video, thanks!

On the catapult shot for the first one they launch the wing must sit lower then expected the yellow shirt seemed to have to duck a little lower than I think he was used to and on the second launch no one seems to be as close to the jet but maybe that is just because of the catapult configurations and where the groundcrew stands.

Just an observation from the AF guy on the page.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I never new French air craft had the gear to launch from a cat shot. Everything I have ever seen they just use the ramped air craft carriers with no cat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never new French air craft had the gear to launch from a cat shot. Everything I have ever seen they just use the ramped air craft carriers with no cat.

Really? Where did you see such a thing?

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never [k]new French air craft had the gear to launch from a cat shot. Everything I have ever seen they just use the ramped air craft carriers with no cat.

Maybe you're looking in wrong places or getting your countries confused. The Brits opted to divorce themselves from the catapult and went with ramps before the Falklands Campaign in the early 80s. The Spanish, Italians and Russians followed suit, but the French, Argentines and Brazilians stayed with catapults without Ramps. Note: the Russians started using ramps to launch and arresting gear to recover in a hybrid combination of old and new methods.

Latest French Aircraft Carrier

300px-Gaule96.jpg

^^^No ramps here^^^

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe you're looking in wrong places or getting your countries confused. The Brits opted to divorce themselves from the catapult and went with ramps before the Falklands Campaign in the early 80s. The Spanish, Italians and Russians followed suit, but the French, Argentines and Brazilians stayed with catapults without Ramps. Note: the Russians started using ramps to launch and arresting gear to recover in a hybrid combination of old and new methods.

Latest French Aircraft Carrier

300px-Gaule96.jpg

^^^No ramps here^^^

As a matter of fact........when the Rafale was tested on a land-based catapult they had to test it at Lakehurst, which has the only land-based catapult left in the world. We even sent an officer on a foreign exchange to the De Gaulle to help operate the American catapult system when they first started sailing her around.

The only other contry in the world that operates a carrier with catapults are the Brazilian's, who have the old French carrier Foch, now named the Sao Paolo, and refurbished A-4's. How much they actually operate both though.......

P.S. A French Navy Admiral wears five stars, but is equivalent to a four-star ADM in the US Navy (from the article).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a matter of fact........when the Rafale was tested on a land-based catapult they had to test it at Lakehurst, which has the only land-based catapult left in the world.

Hah, you have fallen prey to the Lakehurst propaganda (part of BRAC defense). Pax has a fully functional catapult...I was looking at it last Thursday.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hah, you have fallen prey to the Lakehurst propaganda (part of BRAC defense). Pax has a fully functional catapult...I was looking at it last Thursday.

Okay, you got me. The US has the only land-based catapults left in the world........;)