• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rafaels on the Enterprise??

Grant

I didnt realize the cat launch lauch bar thingy (whatever its called) on the front landing gear assembly is compatable. Is there some sort of official international standard for that equipment, or do they just happen to use the same as us?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I didnt realize the cat launch lauch bar thingy (whatever its called) on the front landing gear assembly is compatable. Is there some sort of official international standard for that equipment, or do they just happen to use the same as us?

I understand that not everyone will know the terminology, but you could at least make an attempt at sounding intelligent...

Good question though...I was thinking the same thing.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a whole section of our launching bulletins dedicated to the operation of foreign a/c aboard US carriers including information about compatible equipment. The French and US catapult systems are very similar in their current state. I went to shooter school with a French shooter.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does PAX have all of the arresting gear as well? There is a huge amount of launch and recovery infrastructure at Lakehurst.

Simple way to look at it is:
Lakehurst develops the equipment so the latest cat and arresting gear are there
Pax River tests the aircraft (DT and some OT) squadrons are based at Pax River and has bare minimum but necessarily the latest cat/ag to test aircraft

The Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (NAWC AD) at NAS Patuxent River Maryland is the Navy's research, development, test and evaluation (RDT&E), engineering and fleet support center for air platforms. Pax River is also home to the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR). A land based TC-7 catapult and MK-7 arresting gear is used to test aircraft carrier suitability. Pax operates other unique test facilities geared toward the evaluation of aircraft and weapon systems in a shipboard environment.

Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst has in-ground TC-13-2 catapults representative of catapults installed on the CVN 68 and later aircraft carriers and a 12,000-foot runway dedicated solely to testing Mk-7 Mod 2, Mod 3, and Mod 3+ arresting gear accurately simulating a Fleet aircraft carrier. Lakehurst develops the recovery bulletins that are critical to safe and efficient operations afloat and will be first site equipped with the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS), Advanced Arresting Gear (AAG) and M-31 Advanced Expeditionary Airfield System.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

We sold the French the catapult systems they use on the DeGaulle. Since we are the only other country in the word that builds catapult equipped carriers it makes sense that an ally, yes......even France, would skip the lengthy and expensive process of designing and manufacturing their own system and just purchase and install the ones we make. Just like the E-2. There was a US Navy exchange officer who was stationed on the DeGualle as a catapult officer when it was first operational.

So, it would make sense that the Rafale would be compatible with our catapults, since they are the same for both countries........;)

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...dline=Britain and France Develop New Carriers

I also believe that the COD's were landing and taking off of the DeGualle regularly when she participated in OIF a few years ago.

02%20%20Charles%20de%20Gaulle%C0%C7%20C-2A%20Greyhound.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Because catapult systems take up a huge amount of real estate and require an ungodly amount of personnel and maintenance hours. If a ramp does the trick to get air under the wings above stall speed, then good to go. IMHO.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
And cat shots/arrested landings are brutal on airframes. There is a reason our jets have such short lifespans in terms of total hours.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are all forgetting another expense associated with a catapult, the aircraft......An aircraft needs substantial modifications, especially to its landing gear, to be able to utilize a catapult (I have heard the rule of thumbs is 1000 extra pounds for the gear vs a land based version). The added expense to modifying the Rafale was great but it was more about politics with the French, as it often is........:eek:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are all forgetting another expense associated with a catapult, the aircraft......An aircraft needs substantial modifications, especially to its landing gear, to be able to utilize a catapult (I have heard the rule of thumbs is 1000 extra pounds for the gear vs a land based version). The added expense to modifying the Rafale was great but it was more about politics with the French, as it often is........:eek:

True, I was aboard Foch in 1989 near Rosy Roads during crossdeck exchange and they said they were asking for a lease of F/A-18s in order to retire their venerable F-8 Crusaders, but there was heavy pressure for a French solution due to pride and desire to keep funding inside France. Navalisation of the Rafale vs French Air Force versionin temrs of weight penalty = 610 kg (1345 lb)

Check Six

Hah, you have fallen prey to the Lakehurst propaganda (part of BRAC defense). Pax has a fully functional catapult...I was looking at it last Thursday.

I know for a fact they do as I had the opp to experience it in an F-14 :D:D