• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Article on Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

What pilot training unit is this article refering to? I thought the east coast fighter FRS's are at Oceana? I wouldnt think that other jet communities would be teaching dogfighting...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The VF/VFA RAGS and sometimes squadrons from fleet airwings go to Key West on det for this training.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CDR Jim "Guido" DiMatteo flies with VFC-13 out of Fallon NV. See below regarding Key West agressor squadrons.

From Sep 2004 Tailhook article RADM Mark "Lobster" Fitzgerald, USN
Director, Air Warfare (N78)

With the success of TacAir integration, it is important also to align our Reserve Force to be more fully integrated with the active-duty units they support. Active-Reserve Integration (ARI) will be implemented in FY ’05 as Reserve Strike Fighter Squadron 204 and Strike Fighter Composite Squadron 12 transition to Fleet Response Units (FRUs). Moreover, Reserve P-3 and helo units will be placed under the operational control of their active-duty type wing commanders to provide an additional surge capability for the Fleet Response Plan. Of course, ARI will impact all aspects of Naval Aviation, including strike, maritime patrol, helo, airborne early warning and electronic warfare. Stated another way, the Reserves will be closely integrated across the entire spectrum of Naval Aviation.

In addition to the changes for VFA-204 and VFC-12, a permanent VFC-13 det of F-5 adversary aircraft will be established at NAS Key West to reduce the need for transit flights there to support Red air commitments. Navy Strike and Air Warfare Center (NSAWC) will assume operational control of VFC-13 and unite all the Red air providers under one command there to provide better air wing training and adversary scheduling. Long overdue, ARI will ensure we utilize our Reserves as the surge asset of choice.

r/
G

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
What pilot training unit is this article refering to? I thought the east coast fighter FRS's are at Oceana? I wouldnt think that other jet communities would be teaching dogfighting...
What, do you think that you get a BFM course in the RAG and then you're good for the rest of your career? Everyone gets frequent follow-on training in this sort of thing. Even the Prowlers have an annual training requirement for BFM against CAT IV fighters. The adversary guys they're talking about are mostly from NSAWC.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
H20man said:
Adversary Squadron in the Keys..... i can only imagine the line that one will form.

No kidding, I sure wouldn't mind doing that someday.

Grant

Brett327 said:
What, do you think that you get a BFM course in the RAG and then you're good for the rest of your career? Everyone gets frequent follow-on training in this sort of thing. Even the Prowlers have an annual training requirement for BFM against CAT IV fighters. The adversary guys they're talking about are mostly from NSAWC.

Brett

I wasnt refering to the adversary guys. I was just wondering if there were training squadrons permanantly in Key West, or if they were detachments.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Grant said:
I wasnt refering to the adversary guys. I was just wondering if there were training squadrons permanantly in Key West, or if they were detachments.

The only people who will be in Key West permanently will be a VFC det.

All RAG's and other squadrons go there on det. We flew 3 Prowlers there last April and played with Top Gun, VFA-204, and VFA-106.

Of course, people go to El Centro on det as well but nobody seems as enthused about that. :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Of course, people go to El Centro on det as well but nobody seems as enthused about that. :icon_smil
I'm so close I can almost smell it from here.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:

just got back from there. San Dog was fun on the weekends, but overall I never thought I'd hear myself saying "it's good to be back in K-rock"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
The only people who will be in Key West permanently will be a VFC det.

All RAG's and other squadrons go there on det. We flew 3 Prowlers there last April and played with Top Gun, VFA-204, and VFA-106.

Good times had by all, thanks for dragging me along!

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
YourGirlsNext said:
El Centro makes Wednesday nights. "Pigs in Space" aka "Swine Rodeo".

Oh, yee of little experience.

The orginal "Pigs in Space" is Wednesday at The Depot in Fallon. Many of us have been there, though few will admit it.

The version at the Mirage Club in Sweato is a cheaper south-of-the-border knock-off. Of course, if you enjoying dancing with your troopers, El Centro is the place for you.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hang Outs

He's too new and wet to know about The Bird Farm, Lovelock, Le Nugget, Stockman's and/or The Oh So Infamous Seeley Club.

Can anyone ID all of these?

Threadjack for good cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.