• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the aircraft I'm familiar with it was all airspeed based. If gear handle not down and airspeed < 50 = light plus aural warning...
Well, I guess most helos with retractable gear are not the type to run around at slow speeds. But it wasn't uncommon in my LE experience to fly at less than 50 knots in a Bell 206/406. Dealing with a nuisance gear warning would be a hassle.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
New tenant on the airport here at I68, owner is retired Army O-6, relocating airplane from N Va area. SEA veteran O-2A with battle damage repair to prove it. Original instruments except Garmin 530, King HSI, Garmin transponder, etc. Beautiful airplane. It will be up at Oshkosh.

PXL_20220715_175912761.jpgPXL_20220715_175804201.jpg

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the aircraft I'm familiar with it was all airspeed based. If gear handle not down and airspeed < 50 = light plus aural warning...
When I flew in the UH-3A, it was called LAWS (Low alt warning system). Airspeed and gear position would give you a tone and flashing light in the gear handle.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Saw a CG Dolphin at about a 1000 feet over Arlington today with its' gear extended. Thought it was odd.
That’s DC heli route 6…the Coasties flying out of the base at DCA drop their gear just south of the Army-Navy Country Club and make a steep approach over the big hangars to land. I wonder if the guys stationed there consider it good duty or bad?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, I guess most helos with retractable gear are not the type to run around at slow speeds. But it wasn't uncommon in my LE experience to fly at less than 50 knots in a Bell 206/406. Dealing with a nuisance gear warning would be a hassle.

Different airframes like to operate at different regimes. For heavier aircraft, going slower than 50 really starts to increase the power required. Slower than 50 is also probably going to trip the AFCS out of certain modes (it's 50 knots for the -60 and 60 knots for the -135, for example). I'm not smart on tilt-rotors and how slower speed affects things like that, but I'm guessing it does something since it would have some sort of SAS at a minimum.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Was looking at photos of the retractable gear Bell 360 Invictus. It occurred to me that retractable gear in a helicopter will be something new to the Army. That led me to think about gear up warnings. Most fixed wing gear up warnings are some combination of flap setting, power setting, altitude or speed. With relatively constant speed turbines and rotor, normal ops speeds to zero, and normal ops at low altitude, how do gear up warnings work in a helicopter?
Gear down and locked….

D2E1ACD7-D3B3-436A-8B5C-ABD065FD19DE.jpeg

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That’s DC heli route 6…the Coasties flying out of the base at DCA drop their gear just south of the Army-Navy Country Club and make a steep approach over the big hangars to land. I wonder if the guys stationed there consider it good duty or bad?
Lots of helos over DC. Including some funny looking ones. Edit- this helipad is for US Park Police:
DAF1D13D-9986-4007-9D4C-F670EA39AA37.jpeg

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Lots of helos over DC. Including some funny looking ones. Edit- this helipad is for US Park Police:
View attachment 35733
Here’s a shot of DC’s only “public” heliport near the baseball stadium and just across the river from where Marine One is kept! As far as I can tell, you have to be a member of Congress to land there…or a big donor!

D3FA1D53-AF02-4761-B142-2774E53EF163.jpeg

jmcquate

Contributor
The ones I see all the time:
HMX-1 60s, VH-3s and Plopters
USAF UH-1s
Army 60s
Coast Guard Dolphins
Secret Service Bell 204 (I Think)
Maryland State Police (not sure of type)
Various flavors of Medivac

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The ones I see all the time:
HMX-1 60s, VH-3s and Plopters
USAF UH-1s
Army 60s
Coast Guard Dolphins
Secret Service Bell 204 (I Think)
Maryland State Police (not sure of type)
Various flavors of Medivac
What, no Griz-O-Copter?