• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-entry waiver?

zenryo

Disclaimer: I have searched the boards for my unique circumstance and found nothing. I did ask my recruiter and he says "this is his first time doing this" and he "thought it was the same process as enlisted".

My story

I got an RE-3M and an LGH on my DD-214 at separation back in 2011.( Served 2006 to 2011, 90 ASVAB) I am a prior service MM3/SS that failed his last PFA's (too fat and didn't care. My idiocy.) before getting out. I just wanted out and my EAOS was up so I got out and that was that. I messed up and it is my fault. I didn't realize that could jeopardize my chances of reentry but I didn't care. My last 3 evals were a P, MP and EP from my XO at departure. I got a NAM upon departing my boat.

Come to 2016 I have turned my life around and want to pursue a commission. I miss the service, am smarter and stronger than ever and want to serve my country. Can I even become an officer?

I got my AA, finishing my Bachelor's in Hotel Management (hospitality) in December. I have a 3.5 gpa and am a chairperson on the board for my university's American Cancer Association Relay for Life. I belong to several veteran's associations and honor societies. I am currently interning for the county zoo (Zoo Miami, one of the best in the nation) in group sales and events. I am in shape and could dominate a PFA.

The catch: I am 31 years old now this month. I am told I need a waiver for my RE-3M and my officer recruiter chief is working on it. I would like to be an officer first, any kind. I know my 49 OAR is low and plan to retake in 2 months. What are my chances with this waiver? I am told even if I get a waiver only Intel and Supply (or reserve supply) will be available to me (once supply reopens).

Please help and I know this whole situation is my fault. Needs of the navy come first and I only have my prior immaturity to blame.

Thanks to everyone on here for being so helpful.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Disclaimer: I have searched the boards for my unique circumstance and found nothing. I did ask my recruiter and he says "this is his first time doing this" and he "thought it was the same process as enlisted".

My story

I got an RE-3M and an LGH on my DD-214 at separation back in 2011.( Served 2006 to 2011, 90 ASVAB) I am a prior service MM3/SS that failed his last PFA's (too fat and didn't care. My idiocy.) before getting out. I just wanted out and my EAOS was up so I got out and that was that. I messed up and it is my fault. I didn't realize that could jeopardize my chances of reentry but I didn't care. My last 3 evals were a P, MP and EP from my XO at departure. I got a NAM upon departing my boat.

Come to 2016 I have turned my life around and want to pursue a commission. I miss the service, am smarter and stronger than ever and want to serve my country. Can I even become an officer?

I got my AA, finishing my Bachelor's in Hotel Management (hospitality) in December. I have a 3.5 gpa and am a chairperson on the board for my university's American Cancer Association Relay for Life. I belong to several veteran's associations and honor societies. I am currently interning for the county zoo (Zoo Miami, one of the best in the nation) in group sales and events. I am in shape and could dominate a PFA.

The catch: I am 31 years old now this month. I am told I need a waiver for my RE-3M and my officer recruiter chief is working on it. I would like to be an officer first, any kind. I know my 49 OAR is low and plan to retake in 2 months. What are my chances with this waiver? I am told even if I get a waiver only Intel and Supply (or reserve supply) will be available to me (once supply reopens).

Please help and I know this whole situation is my fault. Needs of the navy come first and I only have my prior immaturity to blame.

Thanks to everyone on here for being so helpful.

I believe I remember seeing a person get a waiver for an PRT discharge before but I think there were some other hoops to jump through.

The bad part is even if you get the waiver you are only eligible (due to age) for a few designators, Intel, IP, IWO and associated SWO options.

zenryo

Thank you for replying.

That is just it. I was given an honorable discharge and transferred to IRR. I had my green ID card and everything. Then when I inquired abour reenlisting in the IRR I was told by the phone rep " I should've never been transferred to the IRR and should've been kicked out".

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Supply will be a no-go. And Intel, IW, IP, etc. are all going to be longshots because you don't have the experience or the major they're looking for. The RE code just makes the hill that much steeper and harder to climb.

There some mistakes out there that cannot be fixed/reversed.

zenryo

I understand that much and expected it. I applaud my recruiter for even working with me. My next steps are to:

1. Max out my GPA prior to graduating.
2. Enter graduate school (likely hospitality but perhaps I can do business)
3. Be elected to student government in the meantime.

I can't think of any other ways to improve my likelihood of being picked up and I have seen what I am up against with that Intel competitive profile. ::shiver::

I will just keep trying, improving and be in it to win it until they tell me to go away.

exNavyOffRec

I understand that much and expected it. I applaud my recruiter for even working with me. My next steps are to:

1. Max out my GPA prior to graduating.
2. Enter graduate school (likely hospitality but perhaps I can do business)
3. Be elected to student government in the meantime.

I can't think of any other ways to improve my likelihood of being picked up and I have seen what I am up against with that Intel competitive profile. ::shiver::

I will just keep trying, improving and be in it to win it until they tell me to go away.

One of the keys to getting into Intel is a STEM degree, they have a goal of only 40% non STEM and their are a lot of non STEM that apply.

zenryo

Okay. Since I graduate soon I can enter a STEM major for my Master's. Any suggestions? Does it matter which STEM? I could see how they would like information, computer tech type things. However, I did see in the March board statistics that a lot of 1830s selected were non-STEM but very "worldly" degrees. Well, all I can shoot is to be marketable if I even get that waiver.

So, is it my age that keeps me out of Supply for good? That is my understanding. However, I was under the impression an age waiver would be possible. Hotel/Lodging Management is far closer to Supply in my opinion. Of course, that means little.

exNavyOffRec

Okay. Since I graduate soon I can enter a STEM major for my Master's. Any suggestions? Does it matter which STEM? I could see how they would like information, computer tech type things. However, I did see in the March board statistics that a lot of 1830s selected were non-STEM but very "worldly" degrees. Well, all I can shoot is to be marketable if I even get that waiver.

So, is it my age that keeps me out of Supply for good? That is my understanding. However, I was under the impression an age waiver would be possible. Hotel/Lodging Management is far closer to Supply in my opinion. Of course, that means little.

It is 60/40 over all designators selected so one could be more if another is less.

yes, the max age without waiver is 29 and there is a max waiver of 24 months for AD service which takes it to 31

zenryo

So I just turned 31. Does that mean I have until 32? Either way...I just need to try my hardest. Grab a good Master's program, preferably a STEM one. Navy says no to a waiver I guess it is CIVCOM for me. Thank you!

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So I just turned 31. Does that mean I have until 32? Either way...I just need to try my hardest. Grab a good Master's program, preferably a STEM one. Navy says no to a waiver I guess it is CIVCOM for me. Thank you!

You need to commission before turning 31 so ideally you need to be 30 1/2 years old in order to apply.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
One of the keys to getting into Intel is a STEM degree, they have a goal of only 40% non STEM and their are a lot of non STEM that apply.
If your B.A. is non-STEM, do they count a candidate with an M.S. as a STEM candidate? Or does it have to be the undergrad degree which is STEM?

"M.S. Intelligence Management": STEM or not STEM?

Thanks in advance for your input.

zenryo

I am curious as well. However, I think by pursuing a Master's let alone having one you are greatly increasing your chances. I think there is a list of STEM majors floating around in internet world.

exNavyOffRec

If your B.A. is non-STEM, do they count a candidate with an M.S. as a STEM candidate? Or does it have to be the undergrad degree which is STEM?

"M.S. Intelligence Management": STEM or not STEM?

Thanks in advance for your input.

The way it was described to me is does the degree involve Calc and Phys