• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters, Headhunters, and Other Shifty-Eyed Folks

MasterBates

Never got that far..

To be honest, at the moment, I'm kind of shocked how little I have received in the ways of callbacks or interviews. 50+ jobs with 35+ companies applied to, plus profiles on Monster, Career Builder, Clearance Jobs, TechExpo, etc. Engineer with a TS/SCI.

Call from an Industrial Engineering Consulting place in CA 2 weeks back or so.. Was supposed to contact me on Wed/Thursday to arrange a test/phone interview.. No contact since. I called them on Thursday. No return call.
GE called/emailed me about a job, they were interested to interview, but need to fill the job before I can go on Terminal Leave.
Caterpillar is flying me to Peoria on Thursday for an interview at their expense. I had a resume in their job bank, but this was a different job in a different location. So far, they have been awesome to deal with.

That's it as far as jobs, no sniffs/bites otherwise. Hell, I even applied to a couple jobs that had REAL SPECIFIC needs for my skills (clearance, E-2C hours, current/recent NATOPS qual, FCP) and not even a "thanks for applying" email back.

At this point, I've about given up on flying jobs. I just don't have the PIC mins for FW stuff, and the RW jobs seem to want higher total than I have.

Either the economy really, REALLY sucks, or my resume has a picture of me with a dick growing out of my forehead that only employers can see.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
It's fucking frustrating, isn't it? Hell, I beat myself up big time for not taking those other three jobs and trying to ride out the contract approval process and go with Booz. And then a monster devil tornado obliterated the town I would have been working/living in (Joplin, MO). The Universe tends to unfold as it should.

There are jobs out there to be had, but anything dealing with contracting is, IMO, wickedly unstable right now. Hell, I'm living proof of that with the Booz deal. I'm not even sure that government jobs have the same kind of stability they once did.

Personally, I think Monster, Career Builder, and even Clearance Jobs to an extent aren't going to land you much. My wife has been making the rounds of monster/CB in an attempt to cart her ass out here to me sooner, instead of waiting for some old dude to die and take his spot. (Ironically, I think that I almost caused that the other day, looking for children's benadryl for my dog. Walked up behind the poor guy and scared the living shit out of him. I found out later that that was one of the stores they want my wife to take over when he leaves in the next couple months.) She can't find shit, because it seems like half the postings aren't legit. I've had better luck with theladders.com and even paid for it for a few months. And the problem with Clearance Jobs is that a huge portion of the jobs tend to be 'pending contract award'. Been down that road.

Networking, networking, networking. I wouldn't have gotten half the leads if it weren't for knowing someone, or knowing someone who knew someone. I can't remember, are you a mech-E guy or another type of engineer?

phrogpilot73

Networking, networking, networking.
Ain't that the case. Of course, I work with a guy at the squadron that used to be a partner at Alliance. He's going to call MB next week and give him the data dump... Totally forgot about another option - there's a guy in our squadron that flies EMS in PA. He asked me once if I wanted to move up there, and I only had about 1600 total hours, 1500 RW at the time...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
MB,

Try these guys. "Janet" airlines flying 737s to the test ranges. You have to have a current TS/SCI to be considered and they have a hard time finding pilots with this. Supposed to be good pay and home every night.

http://www.avianation.com/aviation_jobs/jobDetail.cfm?jobid=9259815847

It might not hurt to do a "drive by" of their office at McCarren if you get the the Vegas area again.

Might also be worth investing in a 737 type /ATP from Higher Power Aviation using your GI Bill - but talk to them first.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Aren't they the dudes who transport people to and from the spooky labs in the Nevada desert?

MasterBates

Applied when I found listing a while back. Was contacted and told they only count FW flight time (have ~`1100 FW hours) but the type would buy some leeway with the lack of PIC.

I suspect I'm not getting any more PIC as they keep on scheduling me to fly as the 2P with other CAPCs because they "need experience for cruise". I have a whopping 43 FW PIC hours now.

Right now, my only flying jobs that I no joke qualify for is the regionals. And I'm about 90% decided it's not worth it for me to fly for that little. I'd have to SELTAR like no other on my days off just to scrape by.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Right now, my only flying jobs that I no joke qualify for is the regionals. And I'm about 90% decided it's not worth it for me to fly for that little. I'd have to SELTAR like no other on my days off just to scrape by.
Suck it up for a few years and augment your income through the reserves. When you get to a major, you'll find it was worth it.

BTW, EG&G flies helos around the test ranges too. It might be worth a visit to see if you can hook up a gig with them that way. Back in 2000, I flew with a former Navy helo guy who came to Scenic to build fix wing time. All he had was his primary T-34 time and a few hours in a Baron. After he had about 500 SIC in the Twin Otter, he walked over there one afternoon and left as an EG&G pilot flying Jet Rangers and King Airs. He now flies both helos & fixed wing for Customs.

MasterBates

Update from Austin..

Flew out to Austin, TX for a hiring conference with one of the big headhunting firms. Was supposed to be engineering heavy. More on that later.

Got the "end of year, companies are hiring, lots of oil/gas companies, and other engineering/aerospace firms" had interviews scheduled with two companies I wanted to possibly go with. Buy plane tickets to San Antonio, rent car, drive to Austin, three days in hotel. Damn near a grand spent, before food/other shit.

Get to the conference. Overall impression, well run machine.
Opening meeting with the huntees (those of us looking for jobs) felt like I was at a bad motivational speaker for the first 20 minutes, but got better. Then as people started introducing themselves, I got the feeling it was heavy on the E side of the house. (it was).
About a 5 hour day, most of the info practical. Basically, it was the high points from TAP, plus some interview prep.
Then company briefs. This is where the WTF started for me. We got our "Assignments" and then 15 minute briefs on the companies.
Done for day, after some admin stuff.

Next day (today). Have five interviews.
Three 30 minute interviews back-to-back-to-back, break, then an interview and an hour brake, and then another.
In the "training" day, they told us to WIN each interview.. And then decide if you want the job later. I did just that, I can honestly say I wowed 4 of 5 from my impression, we'll see if headhunters feedback matches tomorrow.

Here is where I am a bit put off..
I was told I had 2 lined up interviews locked in with two companies I want to work for. Others would be "targets of opportunity" and at least 5 total. They did hit the numeric target.

In the week leading up to the conference, AFTER I bought tickets, paid for hotel, etc.. One job filled internally and the other "backed out" of the conference.

I get here. Not told who I would be interviewing with until after the training day. The companies here, are MUCH less than the list I was given.

Interviews ended up being:
1- Construction Company. For a Site Superintendent. Manager listed, but "not open now". They are interviewing E-5s for the same job for a reference point.
2- Food Products Company. Process "Engineer".. Title. By job, they really want a technician. Again.. Competing with E-5s.
3- Oilfield Services/Engineering Company. Went well. Need an actual engineer to be a project manager. Seemed to go well. Location is meh. We'll see here.
4- Alcoholic Beverage Company. Went well. Can see self working there, but they kept on trying to sell "Cheap by CA Standards Cost of Living"
5- Building Materials Company. Went well. Nice guys.. No interest in the actual job.. Guys ahead and behind me were E-6/7s.

Final impression: Really not sure it was worth my time to come here. Sure as hell not worth the money. The "Speed Dating" interviews might as well have been done on the phone. Actually, that would have been better. Does not speed up hiring process at all, just took place of phone interview.

As for the jobs.. I want to know where all the "Engineering" jobs are here. I think if the job title was "Sanitation Engineer" (garbageman) I would be put in for it, because it says Engineer. I don't think I'm really being put up for jobs at my level, if I am going up against a 25 year old E-5 with no degree, and not a real tech background for the same job (USAF AG equivalent in the 25 year olds case).

I'm honestly confused at this point.. They have had much better jobs on the phone interviews. I'm not sure why the hell they insisted I come to Austin.

As it stands right now.. I'll go to another conference if it's local or maybe DC.. Other than that, money better saved to live off of when I am unemployed in a couple weeks.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
In theory--from what I've heard from actual employers--the headhunters are supposed to pre-screen people, making the speed dating approach a viable option for potential employers to get a face-to-face on someone before they bring them out for more intensive interviews if they like them. In theory, that's great, but for me, the only reason it was cost effective was if I was getting a lot of exposure, and good support from the headhunter crowd. IMO, they can veer too much towards the MAGTF Future Plans philosophy: Throw enough shit at the wall, and eventually some will stick...sooner or later.

I think we've talked about what the product that they're trying to move is. And while the same company that you dealt with for this actually got me the interview that landed my job, to be blunt, you're the meat in the meat market.

The more exposure to this process I get--and I keep getting more, only on the other side now--the more I'm convinced that it's about networking, nothing more. So-and-so knows you-know-who that works at that place, who can get your resume in to that guy, etc. It works internally in companies, as well, as people get fed up and leave, people want to move to other areas inside the company, and good managers get promoted and drag others along with them. It's less about what you know, provided you can think on feet and adapt quickly, than it is about WHO you know. And as supporting evidence, I'll offer up that I may know someone who did just that, despite the odd looks when he had to explain why "Master" was in the signature line.

MasterBates

True. Gaijins company called me for an interview no joke ten minutes after this conference ended.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MasterBates

Round two of hiring conference in Chicago.

Went 5 for 8, but 3 of my "top 4" said NO.

Overall:

Get to the conference. Overall impression, well run machine. Slightly different than the other headhunters,
Far less of the "bad motivational speaker" on the opening. Straight down to business.
About 65-35 Officer Enlisted ratio. The E's there are more of the Master Chief/Senior Chief (or service equiv) crowd. Felt to be a better fit this way.
About a 5 hour day, more focused than the last conference. This was slightly better, but they played a bit tighter with the pay info.. Some companies, was strictly a "their pay is in your range".. And we had VARIED ranges.

Out of the 8 companies "assigned" to me, 5 were obvious good fits, 2 were "I can see a JO with a underwater basket weaving degree do this.. but I had a "better" job as a college sophomore doing a coop program", and 1 was "what the fuck were they thinking". Overall, better than the first one.

I give this firm a better review than the first one, because they delivered 80% of what was promised, not 30%.

Interviews:

1-Large Lumber Company, middle of nowhere Texas. Pay looks OK.. Plant is over an hour from the nearest Wal-Mart. 2 hours from anything resembling a major area. Job interesting.. I'd have to see the area in person to make a decision. Want me out to interview, but seem in no hurry.
2-People who make engines on two airplanes which I have flown most recently. Company good. Pay/area OK. They want me to work in Purchasing and Quality Assurance. I apparently was their #1 guy. They want to fly me out for an on site interview, yesterday.
3-Company you've never heard of that makes plastic stuff you use daily. Thought interview went well, but they said no.
4-Company that makes plastic medical stuff. They want me to work all kinds of fucked up shifts, for low pay. I said no. They called me anyways.
5-Large mining equipment company. Brief said it was Engineering Program Management. They wanted Logistics. They said no.
6-Power Generation Company. They came for "supervisors".. They left looking to make an engineering management job for me to fit into. I guess that meant it went well.
7-Elevator Company. They want "Superintendents". In Detroit. For low money. I said no. So of course, they want to interview me, last week.
8-Beverage Company. Another Odd-Hours for Low Pay with promises of promotion, in a high cost of living area. I said "maybe", they said NO.

Cost wise, it felt like less of a waste of my time/money than the previous conference. Mostly because the schedule they run allows you to fly out day of, (early ass flight, but still), it's in an airline hub city(which is not where their office is), which keeps airfare down, and the hotel they do it at is near the airport with a free shuttle. Literally, my only costs were the plane ticket and one night in a hotel, vice plane, car, 3 hours in said car, and 3 nights in hotels.

Oh, the interviews were 45 minute vice 30 minute blocks, and even though I did three more interviews, I felt way less rushed. More logical sked, in that they won't put you in for more than 2 or 3 back to back. And the 45 minute block does allow most interviews to finish before the buzzer, so you can take a piss and have a drink between rounds.

Still, I'd recommend going to these if you are local, or going to the conference city for other reasons (I have an upcoming one in NY that is the day after a wedding there, so for one more night in the hotel, I'll go). I would not spend more than $500 going.

In all reality, it's a round of "phone interviews" without dropped calls in one day.

MasterBates

First place was the company that placed you. Second was another of the "big three".. The one in NY will be the one you were less than fond about.

Oh, and poke your HR guy with a stick. Still waiting on reply to last email/voicemail.