• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rectifying a mistake

Recidivist

Ok, so for those of you that have gotten past the similarities of rectify and rectum, here's my situation:

Last year I was Final Select for SNA, April 14 class. As I approached my ship-out, I realized I was a lot more comitted to being a pilot than an officer, and that this, coupled with some other misgivings, would put me in a poor position to lead anybody. Long story short, I withdrew. I still feel that I did the right thing at the time, but since I have been able to look at things differently.
Basically, I prepared myself for Navy flight from high school, and through undergrad and grad, looking at that as my objective, I got it, but realized I was not committed to the Navy, just the pilot part. As Zab put it to me in a message, "it's not a flying club, ... its a life of committment."
Ironically, I now feel that by turning down my chance at OCS/SNA and living in the real world (college is not the real world) for a year, I've resolved the issue of committment (in terms of being officer).

At this point I would like to know what I can do, if anything, towards setting this problem straight. I'm still most interested in flight, but my disposition is definately changed. I'm still only 25, so I have a little time before the age cut-off.

Any help, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

MasterBates

Explain this to the nearest officer recruiter. Worst they can say is no. Explain how you did some soul-searching, and are now 110% sure with this.

Wink, any take on this?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so for those of you that have gotten past the similarities of rectify and rectum, here's my situation:

Last year I was Final Select for SNA, April 14 class. As I approached my ship-out, I realized I was a lot more comitted to being a pilot than an officer, and that this, coupled with some other misgivings, would put me in a poor position to lead anybody. Long story short, I withdrew. I still feel that I did the right thing at the time, but since I have been able to look at things differently.
Basically, I prepared myself for Navy flight from high school, and through undergrad and grad, looking at that as my objective, I got it, but realized I was not committed to the Navy, just the pilot part. As Zab put it to me in a message, "it's not a flying club, ... its a life of committment."
Ironically, I now feel that by turning down my chance at OCS/SNA and living in the real world (college is not the real world) for a year, I've resolved the issue of committment (in terms of being officer).

At this point I would like to know what I can do, if anything, towards setting this problem straight. I'm still most interested in flight, but my disposition is definately changed. I'm still only 25, so I have a little time before the age cut-off.

Any help, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Burn any bridges when you withdrew with your recruiter's office?

Recidivist

Don't really think any bridges were burned, although my recruiter was retiring. I didn't have much contact with the rest of the office other than the processor.

When I spoke with the LT from SF recruiting command at the time of withdraw, he basically said that a waiver is a very unlikely proposition. Does anybody know anything about the re-app waiver? Does it apply to commission in general, commission for that designator, etc...

Thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is the deal. No real waiver needed. A good explanation will, however, be required. You still have a shot at this. You just reapply. I have seen a successful come back before. They really don't harbor grudges, especially after so long. Write a real good essay about this in your personal statement. If done well, you can turn a lemon into lemonade. You know, more mature, wiser, more committed, you pulled out because you take commitment seriously and are a deliberate thinker. You are now ready yada yada yada. Age will be an issue but your Masters and employment experience will hopefully offset that. Your original app should still be in the residual file at the recruiting office (I think we keep them for 3 years). Have them dig it up so you can use it for reference on the new one. Good luck.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I spoke with the LT from SF recruiting command at the time of withdraw, he basically said that a waiver is a very unlikely proposition.
What exactly is it that would need to be waived? I agree with Wink's post above. Sounds like you made the right call before. The navy doesn't need candiates who aren't committed to being officers first. You had the maturity and foresight to see that and withdrew. Now, you're even more mature and ready to rock.

Recidivist

I'm not sure what the waiver is, but he said something about an Intel applicant that had tried to do the same thing and couldn't get her package in because of a waiver. It's quite possible I don't have my facts straight.

Bike Girl: I believe the latest you can commission for aviator is 27 and 1/2.

A (as in only one) successful comeback is not promising, but its worth a shot. Kind of reminds me of dumb and dumber: "So you're saying there's a chance..."

I'll call the SF office for more info. thanks guys.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Not exactly the same situation but I did get accepted to Annapolis and offered a NROTC scholarship. Turned them both down for similar reasons. When I applied for OCS I talked about it in my essay, can't say it helped me but it couldn't have hurt me too much either.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A (as in only one) successful comeback is not promising, but its worth a shot. Kind of reminds me of dumb and dumber: "So you're saying there's a chance..."

Well, consider the sample size. It isn't like I said only one in the entire Navy for the last 50 years. I have personally been involved in a similar comeback on at least one occasion, maybe a few more. And while I have been in and out of recruiting for a long time, it has all been in the same market, and for several years on a part time (reserve) basis. That is a fairly small sample in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't worry much.

Recidivist

Wink-
yeah, I was feeling like kind of an jackass after your point of sample size. I guess I would hope it is small.

I haven't gotten ahold of Mt. View yet, but I did get to work on a motivational over the weekend. It's here, so if anybody has any input, please tear it up.

At face value, it seems idiotic that I turned down what I had spent most of my life shooting for: a chance at being a Naval Aviator, but for me there was certainly some sense to that decision. I had my shot for OCS and SNA all lined up, but as I approached my ship out date I learned more and more about the time commitments, sacrifices and hardships that aviators face throughout their careers. 14 hour days starting with pre-flights and ending with debriefs and enlisted reviews simply didn’t fit with the romantic notions flying I had, and I came to realize that I was committed to the idea of flying, not to being an officer and a leader. I had to make the toughest decision of my life. In the end I concluded that I wasn’t joining the Navy for the right reason, so I withdrew.
Looking back on that decision, I hate that I had to make it, but it led me to conclusions that nobody other than myself could have illuminated. As if tempered by a test of faith, I know I have the commitment that is required for a successful career in the Navy. Instead of asking myself “is it worth it?” when I think about an aviator’s auxiliary officer duties, I now look at everything as a complete package, and it’s worth it. It’s worth months at sea, long hours for evaluations, more long hours for training and extended deployments because my country needs me, and I need my country.
Navy officers continue to be among the most professional, critical thinking and committed people I meet; and having worked as a firefighter I understand how important those values are to an organization and to the people it serves. Being a naval officer will provide me with the opportunity to serve my country, and the global community that surrounds it while holding myself to higher standards of selflessness, morality, teamwork and leadership. Considering the reasons for previously having withdrawing from my selection for OCS/SNA and my dispositions regarding officer’s obligations, I can assure this board that my motivations for reapplication reflect my commitment to being an officer first. Having examined what I want most in life, I am confident that my inspirations for seeking a recommendation for officer candidacy will not only serve me well throughout my career, but also that my career will serve the Navy well.

any input appreciated.
Thanks

thull

Wink-
yeah, I was feeling like kind of an jackass after your point of sample size. I guess I would hope it is small.

I haven't gotten ahold of Mt. View yet, but I did get to work on a motivational over the weekend. It's here, so if anybody has any input, please tear it up.

At face value, it seems idiotic that I turned down what I had spent most of my life shooting for: a chance at being a Naval Aviator, but for me there was certainly some sense to that decision. I had my shot for OCS and SNA all lined up, but as I approached my ship out date I learned more and more about the time commitments, sacrifices and hardships that aviators face throughout their careers. 14 hour days starting with pre-flights and ending with debriefs and enlisted reviews simply didn’t fit with the romantic notions flying I had, and I came to realize that I was committed to the idea of flying, not to being an officer and a leader. I had to make the toughest decision of my life. In the end I concluded that I wasn’t joining the Navy for the right reason, so I withdrew.
(Briefly) Put here how long it's been, and a couple of the experiences you've had that have changed your outlook. Looking back on that decision, I hate that I had to make it, but it led me to conclusions that nobody other than myself could have illuminated. As if tempered by a test of faith, I know I have the commitment that is required for a successful career in the Navy. Instead of asking myself “is it worth it?” when I think about an aviator’s auxiliary officer duties, I now look at everything as a complete package, and it’s worth it. It’s worth months at sea, long hours for evaluations, more long hours for training and extended deployments because my country needs me, and I need my country.
Navy officers continue to be among the most professional, critical thinking and committed people I meet; and having worked as a firefighter I understand how important those values are to an organization and to the people it serves. Being a naval officer will provide me with the opportunity to serve my country, and the global community that surrounds it while holding myself to higher standards of selflessness, morality, teamwork and leadership. Considering the reasons for previously having withdrawing from my selection for OCS/SNA and my dispositions regarding officer’s obligations, I can assure this board that my motivations for reapplication reflect my commitment to being an officer first. Having examined what I want most in life, I am confident that my inspirations for seeking a recommendation for officer candidacy will not only serve me well throughout my career, but also that my career will serve the Navy well.

any input appreciated.
Thanks

see bold

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Instead of asking myself “is it worth it?” when I think about an aviator’s auxiliary officer duties, I now look at everything as a complete package, and it’s worth it. It’s worth months at sea, long hours for evaluations, more long hours for training and extended deployments because my country needs me, and I need my country.

I like these parts the best.

Good luck

Recidivist

Thanks guys. I'll try to rework the beginning a little to show what spurred the change, but it sounds like I also have to submit a letter explaining old vs new attitude.

Also, is there any truth to the myth that the selection committee is more lax at the beginning of a fiscal recruiting year (October boards vs. later boards) due to more openings? With the # of applicants it seems like the boards should be able to fill billets easily, so time of year would not matter.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks guys. I'll try to rework the beginning a little to show what spurred the change, but it sounds like I also have to submit a letter explaining old vs new attitude.

Also, is there any truth to the myth that the selection committee is more lax at the beginning of a fiscal recruiting year (October boards vs. later boards) due to more openings? With the # of applicants it seems like the boards should be able to fill billets easily, so time of year would not matter.

Selection boards have certain "precepts" or ground rules before or as the board convenes. If your package meets the criteria for acceptance, then it screened and a selection or non-selection will be made. If there is a particular circumstance your package needs to overcome, then it needs to be explained....just like what has been described in this thread already.

Good luck.