• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve officer?

macattack

Just wondering if one can go straight from being a civilian into the Marine Reserve as an officer. From what I gather it's mostly prior service/prior enlisted. Thanks.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nope, you must serve as an active duty Officer before transitioning to the reserves

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
All officers commissioned after 1-May 2005 recieve their commissions active duty. I know for a fact its true for Navy, and I'm almost positive it applies to Marines too.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All officers commissioned after 1-May 2005 recieve their commissions active duty. I know for a fact its true for Navy, and I'm almost positive it applies to Marines too.
Apples and oranges.

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The type of commision (regular or reserve) is irrelevant, you will be on active duty. You cannot get commisioned as a second lieutenant and go right to a reserve unit wihtout spending time on active duty as a Marine Officer. This has not changed nor do I see it changing any time soon.
Apple-type of commision
Orange-active duty or right to the reserves

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Question on that line of thinking: If it is a Reserve commission, does that mean that should I get hurt at OCS my job will be protected under the law as it is when National Guard/Reserve Units are activated?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question on that line of thinking: If it is a Reserve commission, does that mean that should I get hurt at OCS my job will be protected under the law as it is when National Guard/Reserve Units are activated?
It's really a moot point, but the answer is no. Read Skid's post!

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know Reserve units need 2LTs too. Where do they get them if none can join the Reserve?

Uhhh no noone needs 2ndlts. The active forces need Second Lts to perpetuate the offcier Corps but the reserves have no such need. As for reserve infantry units the platoons are commanded by Capts and the Companies by majors. This leads me to believe the active duty guys train the 2ndLts then if they stay active great if not they have been trained to the standard.

A second Lt right to the reserves would be a very bad thing in our current situation, they need the time on active duty to gain experience and knowlege before they become they can do it part time.