• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Just curious. If I went into the reserves while attending college would those 4 years be counted towards the mandatory 20 for retirement?

Also, how difficult is it to get into the PLC program while attending college and being in the reserve? My recruiter told me it was almost a sure thing if i wanted it, however i've been told if a recruiter(not OSO) opens his mouth he is lying[:p]

chccurd

If your serving at the same time, those four years should count. If your doing NROTC or the Academy though, they probably wont count. The rumor is that after 20 years, they tack on an additional 4 for the years at NROTC or the Academy for pay purposes, but I've talked to a few people and they've never seen it happen. Hope this helps out a bit.

Chris

crashbubba

No, the 4 (actually, would be 6yrs if you're looking at the USMCR) yrs as a reservist do not count for retirement. It will count towards pay though. Reserve time that counts towards active duty retirement are the 2 week ATs or any other periods of active duty, day for day. So, after 4 yrs you'd have roughly 2 months of active duty that would count towards an active duty retirement. Those 4 yrs would help out though, being you'd retire after 20yrs active duty making the 24yr pay scale versus the 20yr pay scale. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.