• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return to the Moon?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was one of my favorite parts of SERE school, when we were told the benefits of socialized medicine... comparing it to the military's medical system! Boy what a reaction we got by even the most junior enlisted... whoever thinks enlisted are just swabees with no brains, think again! /end partially-related threadjack

www.nasa.gov has a decent page for explaining their program. It looks to be an EOR/LOR type mission profile (as opposed to just the LOR of the Apollo program). Otherwise there are many many similarities. I guess if you could build a semi-reusable capsule, it's pointless to have wings. That's just added weight and structure (airframe/spaceframe) to get damaged.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
HAL Pilot said:
Back in the mid-1990s when I was doing my Masters through Embry-Riddle, space technology was one of the big discussion items. One of the major points is that countless new technologies that we use in everyday life were originally developed via the space program. The space program stimulates technological growth and they said studies showed that for every $1 NASA spent on space, an overall economic gain of at least $100 (and probably significantly more) was generated in the civilain sector through the development and sales of new technologies.

So while it cost the government big to go to space, it pays back in economic growth for years to come.

An example, think about velcro and the massive amounts of money both corporations and everyday poeple have saved due to its many applications.

Yeah it did that. What we are missing here is the fact that spaceflight brought us a whole bunch of people who just showed up for the challenge. The people who just showed up included Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. It is about time we give the future generations something to shoot for!!!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
That was one of my favorite parts of SERE school, when we were told the benefits of socialized medicine... comparing it to the military's medical system! Boy what a reaction we got by even the most junior enlisted... whoever thinks enlisted are just swabees with no brains, think again! /end partially-related threadjack

Whoa whoa whoa, someone in SERE school was preaching about socialized medicine? This was an instructor? I would have had a VERY hard time not lighting them up, instructor or not.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
And all of you god blessed Navy pilots don't know an opportunity when it hits you in the face you are going to dump a chance to be astronauts. Because you don't like the politics. NavAir made NASA what it is today. (oops I screwed that up) You have a chance to do it right. And you are bitc*ing! I would kill any one of you for a chance at going up in that bird. I don't have a chance but some of you future AVIATORS do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aside from being blessed by the Almighty thank-you-very-much, I figure I can get myself a job at NASA. Qualifications: cargo pilot, I've worked and lived in Florida, I don't have any felonies, and I'm a Very Good Pilot (oh wait, no, that's A4s). Then again, they might want people with...oh... test pilot school, PhD's, and a great smile. I'm screwed.

iwishiwaseatin

Hmm mhhmm
pilot
Does anyone else think its interesting that NASA plans to do this with their current budget? Sure its $100 billion dollars over a few years, but they are not asking for more money (yet) they just want to dump the shuttles and go back to a more simple design. Interesting concept.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Whoa whoa whoa, someone in SERE school was preaching about socialized medicine? This was an instructor? I would have had a VERY hard time not lighting them up, instructor or not.

Re-read the post, think about the venue kmac's describing and what you've heard about what goes on in that training. You won't be in a position to light up ANYONE.

kmac, I remember the same speech, I was actually laughing.

thread re-rail: the moon rulez (just for Fly)

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
JIMC5499 said:
I am probably get banned from this site for this. What in the hell is going on through you moron's heads. The U freaking S government is stating our desire to go to the moon! Now since the shuttle is in the f*cking in the toilet. The current NASA bubba's don't have a job. And all of you god blessed Navy pilots don't know an opportunity when it hits you in the face you are going to dump a chance to be astronauts. Because you don't like the politics. NavAir made NASA what it is today. (oops I screwed that up) You have a chance to do it right. And you are bitc*ing! I would kill any one of you for a chance at going up in that bird. I don't have a chance but some of you future AVIATORS do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I mean what I said here the way that I said it leaves a bit to be desired. This is what I get for posting when I was trashed and tired. If I have offended anyone I do apologize.

IF YOU DRINK.......DON'T POST!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Re-read the post, think about the venue kmac's describing and what you've heard about what goes on in that training. You won't be in a position to light up ANYONE.

kmac, I remember the same speech, I was actually laughing.

thread re-rail: the moon rulez (just for Fly)

Yeah, we PM'd, I got what he was saying. I just misinterpreted his post thinking he meant something else...

"Carving expletives on someone's car is a sign of trust and friendship."